Power Steering Pump Problem?

ripthejacker
    Hey folks. Im just on the internet reading on different things mini related etc, and im wondering if its possible that my power steering pump has failed?

I cant say ive noticed the whining from when turning (will check it out more tomorrow) and the steering is heavy but im not sure if it being a Cooper S it is faily heavy. I mean I can drive and use one hand still but what im wanting to know is would I defiantly know if my pump had failed?

ripthejacker
    Sorry guys. Ive only just learned to use the search function.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    If the pump had gone you would toil to get it round the corner.
    When it is starting to go though the noise is a bit louder although they are noisy anyway and in general the steering starts to become a bit heavier. It may ocassionally loose powersteering for a wee second or 2.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    You would notice a significant effort to turn the wheel, best trying when stationary left lock to right lock, you'll hear the pump, if it's working

ripthejacker
    Thanks for the replys guys . I checked it out and the there is the whining noise I think it was just me as I have hadent paid attention and just started reading up on problems etc on the internet.

I mean it is a 52 plate Cooper, although it only has 32k on the clock and with the condition it is in, im hopeful and believe its health is fairly good.

johnsop1
    Apologies in advance cos this is going to sound negative but:

My 51 Cooper (done 60,000) had always been serviced at BMW dealers and took it in to get serviced in May and and got an advice note of £4000.00 (BMW prices) of additional work required.

This included:
    New Steering Column
    New Gearbox
    Work on the Front Suspension
    New Front Discs
    New rear Discs
    New N/S Headlight (leveller had stopped working).

Hated doing it cos I I loved having it but I made the decision that it was cheaper and a more sensible decision to get a new car. Incidently £4000.00 was what I got when I traded it in.

My advice - enjoy owning a MINI - cos I did - but don't hang to it for too long.