Handling problems

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Single-handedly bankrupting eBay Ferengo's Avatar
    Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    Maybe someone will give you new valve caps as a pressie

Sorted the tyre preasure so it's at 2.2 bar like the inside of the door says it should. It's worse than ever now. Anytime I go over a bump the front wheels lose any grip they have. Steering feels very light too. When I'm going round a corner it feels like it's gonna over steer.

Is booked into Grassicks for a week on wednesday to get that and the idle problem sorted.

Since the preasure is ok and so is the thread, what else could it be? Tracking, balance?

Ferengo.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    sounds strange for a new car to be so bad only other thing I can think of is the dampers are shot

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    sounds strange for a new car to be so bad only other thing I can think of is the dampers are shot
    You don't know the half of it.

Gear box parts replaced,
    Runners on front seats replaced 3 times
    In for rattles over 20 times (Fixed via a 3rd party auto electrician fitting spotlights)
    Speedo cluster replaced
    Door trims replaced
    Footwell plate replaced

I bought it new 1 year ago.

What are dampers? Also can anyone suggest a good set of tyres to get? Just incase I decide to go that route. I may try putting on my old alloys if Grassicks can't do anything for it. Could i have damaged the dampers changing the alloys?

Ferengo

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferengo View Post
    Since the preasure is ok and so is the thread, what else could it be? Tracking, balance?
    Tracking may make a difference. Too much toe out will make it turn into corners quicker but be prone to wandering when traveling in a straight line.....too much toe out gives the opposite affect, stable in a straight line but not so keen to turn into corners Most cars are set up with a little toe in as standard Am I right in saying that all this happened after you changed your alloys over Seems really weird Changing alloys wouldn't normally result in any change to your steering.............unless one of the alloys was corroded on and you had to resort to forcing it off:eyes up: If the alloy and the steel hub have 'welded' themselves together then a fair bit of brute force is required to part themIf that was the case then your tracking could well be off and the issues your having may be the result. Hope you get to the bottom of it
    Last edited by Big Gordy; 7th September 2008 at 08:25 AM.
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    The old alloys came off really easy. It is fine in a straight line unless I hit a pot hole or something then the front wheels want to jump around the road for a second.

It's like the wheels want to turn faster than the car does without any grip. From what you say it sounds about right for what's happening to me. I'll le tthe experts deal with it then take it from there. I'll just need to be carefull until then. Need to get it sorted before the next run, thought there's plenty of time.

Would 17's give me mroe stability and grip? Or am I just clutching at straws now?

Cheers for all your help everyone.

C.Noble
    What was the difference between the alloys you had before, and the ones you have now?
    And I dont mean looks, do they have a different off-set, width, or diameter?

If the front toe has moved (to give you the feeling your are explaining, I would suspect they are mega toe in) the steering wheel will most likely be sitting off centre, unless both front wheels have been knocked/moved by the same amount, is this the case?

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Exactly the same alloys and tyres just a colour difference. They are 15" spoolers running on Michelin energy non runflats. They have a lot of tread left too.

The handling feels fine until you get to about 20/25 Mph then it feels very very light. My wife did Kerb our old alloy quite bad but we ran on them for about 3 months after without problems.

Would it be worth rotating the alloys round at all?

Oh and the steering is off centre.

C.Noble
    When did you first notice the wheel was off centre, after the kerb clipping incident or after the wheels were changed?

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    I first noticed it after the alloy change but that was because I was unsure of they handling, I never noticed it before but then again I wasn't looking for it. So it could have happened before, but it's interesting that you mentioned that and my car is sitting like that. I'll be sure to mention it to Grassicks . Cheers.

Car
    F56 JCW Cooper S
    Got it back last night. The idle problem is fixed, they just up'd the idle revs. They couldn't find anything wrong with the handling. They took it out for a test drive, check the alloys for warp/buckling and checked alignment and they say it's all fine.

I had a mini one as a replacement and that handled brilliantly. Hugged the corners and never once felt like it was gonna slip on the road. Compared to my cooper which the steering feels light and it feels as though it is slipping on the road (Has done seriously once).

I don't know what to do as I feel It may just be all in my head now. Any advice as to what else it could be? Any of you mini drivers in or near Dundee and want to see what you maybe think of it in the flesh?