My First Proper Detailing Attempt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Smitty
    Well I've always liked to keep my parent's cars clean but since I now own my own car, I'm about to become a complete clean freak and enter the world of detailing - on a budget so no super expensive Zymol Wax for me

I've had a good hunt through past threads - in particular AndyP's super interesting, yet super long thread - and I'm going to take the following steps (maybe this weekend if I'm not off mountain biking that is!):

1. Wash with Autoglym Car Shampoo (2 bucket technique of course) and a Tesco sponge
    2. Dry down with chamiox.
    3. Clay using Sonus Green Ultra Fine Detailing Clay.
    4. Polish using Autoglym Super Resin Polish (masking off black trim, making sure not to get any on their).
    5. Apply Black WOW to the trim.
    6. Wax with ???
    7. Buff up the windows with Autoglym Glass Polish.

So the advice i'm looking for is:

1. Am I missing any important steps?

2. What wax should I buy (I have all the other products here or on order). I've not got a big budget to spend on this but don't want to use average products. I was looking at the Dodo Juice stuff, but not sure what kind to buy.

3. Sealant - is this necessary if I plan on waxing my car quite often?

I expect ianking will be able to answer all my problems in a matter of minutes

The car is really in need of a professional detail, particularly on the roof, and I reckon a detailer machine is needed, but I just don't have the funds for that I'm afraid

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    All looks good Smitty.

I would chuck the tesco sponge and use a micro fibre wash mit or a lambs wool wash mit. And I prefer a micro fiber towel for drying, I find them much easier than chamois.

If you're on a budget at the moment, I'd probably not go for the Black Wow. It is good, but it is expensive. That money is maybe better diverted to a decent wax. Instead I'd use ground nut oil which you could pick up in tesco's when you take your sponge back. Ground nut oil will do a great job of your arches, but wont last as long as Black Wow. Just remember to give a wipe over with a hot damp cloth after applying. And groundnut oil will cost about 80p!

Wax - this is a personal thing really. Ian will no doubt be along soon to recommend one, and basically I'd go with what he suggests. He suggested I use Blackfire Wet Diamond Carnuba Wax. I love it. Goes on easy, comes off even easier. The only problem with it is that I need to leave it a day between layers. So building up layers takes a wee while.

I've never "sealed" the paintwork, but plan to look into this at my next major detailing session with the red MINI.

Auto glym glass polish is the absolute muts nuts.

Oh aye, and... I'd leave the wheel arches to last. Do them after the wax.

The only other thing you could do is get some Poorboys alloy wheel sealant to protect your alloys and maybe some tyre dressing. Don't even have any decent tyre dressing myself, so if you find a decent one, let me know.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

euan
    Seconded on the binning the sponge - I use a washmitt and think it's great. You'll probably want two, one for wheels and one for body, but you could start with one for the body and then use it on the rims when it's knackered.

I'm going to get Poorboys alloy stuff as my next purchase, it gets a good write up.

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Ahhh by "detailing" you guys mean "Washing in an analy retentive stylee" don't you?

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Col View Post
    Ahhh by "detailing" you guys mean "Washing in an analy retentive stylee" don't you?

GIRUY.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    For the Wax, I have several and it all depends when I use it...

My most expensive wax and the one I used rarely as it lasts a LONG time is Collinite 476s. Fantastic product, goes on easy and lasts for months. Car beads like crazy. when I say expensive, it's only about £15 and should last a year or so. I have just bought Collinite 915 Elegance wax for £26 for 2 x 14 oz tins from the USA. Not used it yet, but they say it is even better than the 476s.

If I have a bit less time to wax the car, then I use a liquid wax like RaceGlaze Carnuba Wax or Zymol Cleaner Wax. Both are about £12 a Bottle and I have had them for about 2 years...

As a very quick wax, and something I use most times I wash the car is Turtle Wax Speed Wax (called Nano Tech now). It is just a spray on and wipe off wax, and is very cheap. Great especially in the winter time, when you just want a quick wax on the car between rain showers.

As for the rest of your steps, they seem fine to me other than what andy has already suggested.

You could go further, but their is a fine line between keeping your car looking nice and turning into a freak show.

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Col View Post
    says the blooming hair dresser boy.... :eyes up:

N12 JLK
    I nearly flat lined when you said you washed it with a sponge, Lesley had to phone the Royal Infirmary. Meguiars 16 wax is very good on a budget(£16, can only buy online). I use Meguiars hot tyre shine on my tyres, put a small amount in an old tin and apply with a 2" paint brush, don't spray it on as it will end up all over your nice paint work.

Car
    meant to say, I use Coconut Sheen for my Tyres from Barton Chemicals (located in West Lothian) and I am very happy with it. Lasts well and can be put on wet or dry.

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    says the blooming hair dresser boy.... :eyes up:
    Race ya!