It's about time...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Linda M
    Welcome to NMS :)

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Welcome Adam. How do you get on with the bikes on the roof. I thought about getting the roof bars & bike carrier but was put off by having to drill holes in the roof - does this mean they have to stay on all the time?

mr.b
    welcome adam from deep here in gotham - just over the water from you.

enjoy the madness.

B.

Wul
    Parking his car in leith i'm sure the bikes don't stay on the roof for long!

Hooray - another Auld Reekieite to the fray - welcome adam!

adam_cheney
    quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Welcome Adam. How do you get on with the bikes on the roof. I thought about getting the roof bars & bike carrier but was put off by having to drill holes in the roof - does this mean they have to stay on all the time?
    Hey Duncan,

It's not a great system, to be honest. Yes, they drill holes through the roof - go to a really good dealer to do it, and not the one on Seafield Road. You can take the bars off - each foot is held in place by two bolts, and they provide four natty plastic covers for them when the bars aren't on (people keep asking me - 'Are they some sort of air vent?').

One the plus side, they're very stable and strong. If you're carful when taking them off and putting the covers on you can avoid scratches on the roof (which I've failed to do). If you order Thule racks for the bikes, you'll need a special fitting bolt, which I understand is now a BMW part.

Overall, though, the MINI plus bars acts as a great bike transport!

Vosh
    Did consider doing this, but the roof drilling put me off. Just use a rear Thule bike rack and its been fine. Marked the paint to begin with (my own fault, duh!, got it buffed out) now just wrap towels round all contact points, back and forth to Glentress (Peebles) all the time and its great. :)