Well I have ordered HIDs for the Dooper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Dogfather
    HID need a high voltage to fire up, but lower power consumption. There's a reason why this type of conversion is illegal, its because they can potentially dazzle oncoming traffic. Given that they could potentially cause an accident, does your insurance company know?

You might find that your insurance cover could be invalidated by having an 'illegal car', they only need the slightest excuse......

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    Auto Levellers are only on Minis with Xenons.. Minis with Halogen headlights have the headlight beam raise/ lower dial down beside the steering column. Well certainly all R50/53s have..

Dunno about these new fangled R56 things..

the movement of the lights you see happening when you switch them on is for the throw of the light, If I had only found my email from Nick@Jlevi SW in America who explained to me exactly the process as I had the same in my E46 my Mini is not auto level.

It's the bulbs and ballast that are fitted.

With the Mini head lights you have the cap over the end of the bulb this prevents a direct light getting beamed out, it is the side of the bulbs that reflect of the silver trim then the light gets thrown out. Nothing in the set up has changed the principle is still the same. I realise it's still illegal.
    Cooper Coupe...

euan
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieDoop View Post
    Oh I like this thread.

I know it's not the done thing to fit HIDS, however we have fitted them to several of our cars and not had any problems as yet.
    But have you driven the other way at the car retro fitted with HIDs?

I don't agree about the headlight washer being rubbish, I find that it helps but will never clear a lamp without a wiper (ah, I'm getting all retro, thinking about SAAB 99s here with the scraper across the lamp!).

FergusM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieDoop View Post

With the Mini head lights you have the cap over the end of the bulb this prevents a direct light getting beamed out, it is the side of the bulbs that reflect of the silver trim then the light gets thrown out. Nothing in the set up has changed the principle is still the same. I realise it's still illegal.

So you think that by changing the light source to a much brighter one and then removing the cap over the end of the bulb you are not changing completely the principle of how the lights are designed to work ?? I think you are altering completely how they were designed to work and have no guarantee that you'll not blind someone coming the other way...

I really think it is maddness....if you wanted xenon's..get a car with them factory fit....or put in the full factor fit system. If you want better vision at night get better bulbs.

or buy the night vision system that Mikey at newministuff mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by FergusM View Post
    So you think that by changing the light source to a much brighter one and then removing the cap over the end of the bulb you are not changing completely the principle of how the lights are designed to work ?? I think you are altering completely how they were designed to work and have no guarantee that you'll not blind someone coming the other way...

I really think it is maddness....if you wanted xenon's..get a car with them factory fit....or put in the full factor fit system. If you want better vision at night get better bulbs.

or buy the night vision system that Mikey at newministuff mentioned
    Fergus, what are you on man where did I say I was removing the cap it's fixed to the inside of the head light you would have to break it to remove it: anyway they will be installed tonight and I can't wait.
    Cooper Coupe...

FergusM
    Just having a bad day/week at work.... this forum is a very nice distraction :)

There only illegal when you get caught Fi , nobody here will shop you . lol

Quote Originally Posted by FergusM View Post
    Just having a bad day/week at work.... this forum is a very nice distraction :)
    Get back to work Fergus

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalhunter View Post
    There only illegal when you get caught
    This is one for the scrapbook.