Well I have ordered HIDs for the Dooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I know these Illegal etc etc etc. I need good lights for my trip to work as I use all the back roads and want good lights when winter comes around.

I have ordered a set from hids-direct as I understand these work well with the R56 and you do not get the bulb warning light. So fingers crossed.

gone for 6000k will post pics once I have them installed.
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Fi, I think their legality is a grey area. Do you have headlamp washers? If so, they may well be OK. Although I don't think they carry the kitemark.

But you will notice a massive difference. The ones we had in the X5 made the difference between us not being able to drive the car at night and being able to. As long as you have them aligned properly, no reason you should have any trouble with the,

What annoys me is when we had our M Class we didn't need xenon's. The focusing system in the M Class gave us excellent throw and clarity at night. BMW's/MINI's appear to be pants.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

sadly I don't have the washers. I will make sure once Allan has fitted the hids that he takes it along the road to the garage to make sure they are aligned correctly. They advertise them as being e-marked & CE approved I will wait and see.
    Cooper Coupe...

FergusM
    I don't approve I'm afraid, head lamp washers / auto-levelling are on for a reason...

I think it is maddness to upgrade and not care about those that you may blind when driving to work.

Why not just upgrade the bulbs ?

Car
    Fergus, Fi's car will still have auto levelling. Pretty sure all MINI's have auto levelling, not just the Xenon equipped.

And as long as they are installed correctly and the base level is set right to start with, there's no reason at all why Fi would blind anyone.

It could certainly be argued that a proper installation is, in the long run, safer than suffering the poor output from the standard bulbs.

Uprating the bulbs would be an option, but there's only so far you can go with that, before that gets illegal, and does cause glare to other drivers.

A.

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieDoop View Post
    sadly I don't have the washers. I will make sure once Allan has fitted the hids that he takes it along the road to the garage to make sure they are aligned correctly. They advertise them as being e-marked & CE approved I will wait and see.
    May be teaching my grannie/grandad to suck eggs, but remind Allan NOT to touch the glass of the bulb. They are under high pressure and the glass doesn't like the oils in human skin.

A.

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusM View Post
    I don't approve I'm afraid, head lamp washers / auto-levelling are on for a reason...

I think it is maddness to upgrade and not care about those that you may blind when driving to work.

Why not just upgrade the bulbs ?
    I agree. Sorry Fi.

Also Andy dinna talk keech! "Made the difference between us not being able to drive the car at night and being able to." Drama Queen!

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Why does it need the headlamp washers ??
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

FergusM
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    Fergus, Fi's car will still have auto levelling. Pretty sure all MINI's have auto levelling, not just the Xenon equipped.

And as long as they are installed correctly and the base level is set right to start with, there's no reason at all why Fi would blind anyone.

It could certainly be argued that a proper installation is, in the long run, safer than suffering the poor output from the standard bulbs.

Uprating the bulbs would be an option, but there's only so far you can go with that, before that gets illegal, and does cause glare to other drivers.

A.
    Mmm...never heard that all mini's have anuto levelling... can someone confirm ? Is there an adjustment dial to change the aim in the cars ?

Still...with no headlamp cleaning my point still stands..

FergusM
    Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    Why does it need the headlamp washers ??
    Dirt causes the light to diffract...meaning it can shine into on coming cars eyes.