R56 Aero Skirts

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    OK here are some instructions on how to change the skirts on an R56. The process is almost identical for R50 and R53.

Step 1
    Assemble the new skirt if this was not all ready done by supplying dealer.

Skirts as they arrived

Step 2
    Undo the plastic screws under the car existing skirt. (jacking the car makes access easier). Remove the metal screw at the rear end of the skirt, im pretty sure it was a T10 or T15 screw head.

Step 3
    Pull back door seal

Step 4
    Dont be afraid here when it sounds like you are destroying the car. You have to be a bit rough. The clips that hold the skirt on are designed to break. Grab the rear end of the skirt and start pulling it away from the car.

You then need to lift the skirt up and away from the car. This will release the clips which are under the chrome finishing strip. Easier if 2 persons do this.

Step 5
    Remove the broken clips from the cars body

Step 6
    put the new clips onto the new skirt paying attention as to which colour of clip goes where and which way round they are facing.

Step 7
    offer the skirt up to the car and start pushing the skirt onto the car from the rear working towards the front.

Step 8
    Put the new clips onto the top surface of the skirt

Step 9
    Put the screws back on underneath the car

Step 10
    Put on finishing strip and re-sit door seal

Before pic

After pic

Whole job takes about 1 hour.

N12 JLK
    doesnt the car look good, sitting high though after we jacked it up but it goes back down.

Sportspack Mark
    nice one lads

id love an r56 S right now

N12 JLK
    go out and get one its only money

The Dogfather
    I wonder how long it will be before they become available for the Clubman :think:

Damn it not the same smilies

N12 JLK
    Hopefully not long before they become available, very easy to fit I wouldnt recommend paying BMW to do the job, Jason and Ian will do it for a small fee or a Glayvar

jaffamaster
    Very nice indeed, might be my frist mod, where's the best place to buy them?

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by jaffamaster View Post
    Very nice indeed, might be my frist mod, where's the best place to buy them?
    I would highly recommend our sponsor, John Clark
    Post a question in their forum for pricing and delivery

It makes such a difference to how the car looks. One day they will produce one for the Van.

GCA3N
    Thanks for the advice. Just put on a set on a 52 cooper. The advice helped however was a bit different. If any one needs advice on doing this job on an older cooper, give me a shout

Last edited by GCA3N; 21st January 2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: to show photo