Remove CD Autochanger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smitty
    I got a CD autochanger with my car but I'm an iPod man, and never touch CD's so attempted to take it out today before relising that the center console has to come apart.

I'm sure after some head scratching I can work this all out, but any advice or links on how exactly to do it successfully without breaking it all??

There may very well be a CD autochanger for sale for a very reasonable if this goes well so feel free to contact me about that if you want to get in first!

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Is the autochanger not in one of the side pockets in the boot? Thats where ours is.

Oh aye, and... moved your thread to Mods, Faults & Fixes forum. "How To" is not a forum for asking how to do something. Its a compilation of instructions on how to do something.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Forbes
    I have only seen them in the boot. My mate removed his tape player to put a screen in, takes patience. But yeh you need to remove the bits on either side, and its difficult to get to those screws.

A good old iTrip could be the answer??

Ben

Smitty
    Andy - thank you, didn't read that one properly. I certainly do not know how to do it....not yet anyway!

The autochanger is a 4-disc one, and it sits underneath the switches for the windows, fog lights etc.

0004BES - Yeah, I have an iTrip and that's my current solution until I save up the pennies for a proper iPod link but the autochanger just gets in the way, uses up previous cubby space and will never be used so i just want to remove it!

I've manged to remove both screws on the passenger side, but I think I need to remove the trim from under the steering wheel to get at another screw on the drivers side...couldn't find the clips for that piece of trim but to be honest, it was getting late, i was fed up and didn't try very hard!! That's tomorrow mornings job....
    Last edited by Smitty; 18th June 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

I've manged to remove both screws on the passenger side, but I think I need to remove the trim from under the steering wheel to get at another screw on the drivers side...couldn't find the clips for that piece of trim but to be honest, it was getting late, i was fed up and didn't try very hard!! That's tomorrow mornings job....
    Martin the trim underneath the steering wheel will drop down from the top. If you stick a flat blade screwdriver in the wee gap between the trim underneath the steering wheel and mid level of the dash and gently prise down. Remember to use protection on the end of the screwdriver - a microfiber cloth or something. That trim under the steering wheel is hinged at the bottom, in the footwell.

A.

waaaaaaaaaaait a minute here, post a pic of the 'multi changer' you're describing as it sounds like the cd storage solution that was available. to get into the centre stack, you go through the same steps as changing the hu linky

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    I agree with Johnny here.
    Doesnt sound like the normal place for a changer. R50,53 are 6 disc that is located at the right hand side of the boot.

R56 is located in the glove box.

Smitty
    Job done....easy enough once I got that piece of trim off from under the steering wheel, thanks for the tip Andy.

Made the mistake of taking the toggle switch panel off....not a good idea, rather fiddly to get back together!

Found this link that helped a lot, could be worth putting into the "How To" section - Removing Center Console

Will upload a few pics later of where the autochanger was to for you guys doubting the location Perhaps it wasn't a genuine MINI changer.
    Last edited by Smitty; 19th June 2008 at 01:30 PM.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I'm sure a mini disk changer was able to be fitted in there, not that i'm doubting it's a CD Changer

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Will upload a few pics later of where the autochanger was to for you guys doubting the location Perhaps it wasn't a genuine MINI changer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland View Post
    I'm sure a mini disk changer was able to be fitted in there, not that i'm doubting it's a CD Changer
    I'm saying nuttin until I see the photographic evidence that was a CD changer.

A.