Thinking about selling

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Starky
    Check out the service costs for the Honda, they're horrendous.

Sponsor & Jakey
    I know the dilema you're going through Brian, I was there myself a few months ago mulling over R32's & RS Focus's and the like. Ultimately the MINI won out :approve: I just couldn't leave this wonderful little car.

Besides. Don't you dare think you're getting to come on the run next year in anything other than a MINI ya wee blighter :clown: , unless of course some kind soul takes you in as a passenger
    Occasional MINI driver....... but mostly Uma Thurman ;0)

macblob
    Dunno if ull have room in ur car wiff all da hos wille

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    I wish you had the pink in at the time Julz! You should keep a ribbon in the car for just such an occasion.

Tahra
    Cant comment at all on an R ( though had a shot of an S2000 great fun - though I think the insurance would be similar to a small mortgage ) BUT just to emphasize what Mr Moffat said - the new MINIs are totally different beasties. It's really what sold us when we test drove the S; it just felt much more solid - it was the car we thought we were buying the first time. J was just saying that he was a bit worried that we hadn't taken it back to the garage for anything. Hand on heart nothing has gone wrong with it.... however Im now going to rush out and hug some wood cos I know that was tempting fate !

Tahra
    and another thing - 13 odd K sounds a pretty good (fair)price for an MCS. A small local garage has one on its forecourt, a Chili'd, gunmetal with extra window tints and the steering wheel stereo control. Its a year old with 10 thousand on the clock and theyre asking 16.5K !!!!! Thats more than we paid for ours five months ago.

broken_brian
    quote:Originally posted by Wul

MACBLOB - DO NOT BUY A CIVIC TYPE R!!

My mates has just sold one for the following reasons:

1. The noise inside the car is intolerable - road noise from the tyres, engine noise due to no sound proofing round the engine bay (designed this as KenL says).
    2. No traction control(not even an option) - 200bhp through the front tyres = eats tyres VERY quickly due to incessant wheelspin.

Or why not try for an 03/53 plate MCS - in a few months they'll all be in the same price range?
    sounds just like my classic although i only have about 65 bhp i can have a set of front tyres last 6 months but at £25 a go its not that expensive plus the type r cant go round cornes as fast as me go for the coop s it is a far nicer car to look at plus you would not have to admit to owning a honda. or u could just swap your coop for my classic

Wul
    macblob - quick theres an MCS on ebay at £9k+ with no reserve - its a 52 plate i'm sure!

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree that the CTR is a good car, but did you read the latest 'Evo' group test? I quote:
    Steering: "Numb to the point of general anasthesia...” also "A paucity of composure below 60mph..” it didn't shine, despite being improved and upgraded over the one you're looking at.

I reckon that, fantastic engine aside, it's just another fairly characterless hatch and you'd get fed up when all the fun's above 6,000rpm. 80% of the time you'd be way out of the powerband which is the whole reason for that engine. I got rid of my (highly) tuned 106GTI for that very reason. When you were “going for it”, nothing could touch it - it was SO quick especially at about 90mph in fourth (!) - but that was the problem, the “fun” zone was too narrow. So 80% of the time I had to put up with the shortcomings which made it brilliant 20% of the time.

With the MINI, it's brilliant 70% of the time, and you can do things to make up the difference without spoiling it. I really enjoyed my COOP for two years with its teething troubles at the beginning. Even with the wee niggles of my new 'S', I wouldn't swap it for anything..... well maybe a TVR 350C..... or a date with Bjork (or someone who looks vaguely like her.......)

Really think before you buy something else, you may regret it more than you think, and we'd hate to lose you to the “Backwards Bunnet” brigade. Just think how crap you'd feel the first time Julz blew you into the weeds.....or weeded you into the blues.

If you're going to go for something non-MINI, check out a Clio Cup - less bucks, more bang, with enough clout to see off a CTR on a good (i.e. challenging) road. I rest my case for the defence M'lud. I'll get me cloak and wig.........

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

macblob
    Thanks for all the coments and info, it has certainly given me more things to think about before making a decision

Cheers all