Knockhill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    shoppie
    I managed 2 comps from John Clarks as well. Cant say when i'm leaving though, as I am co-pilot with Mark. See you there though:)

3GGG
    Great day out!

If you have the bandwidth have a look at:-
    http://www.gm4jjj.co.uk/movie/knockhill.mov
    2.4MB

Monsta Mo Mini
    A write up and piccys would be most welcome. Great set of pics David. I hope the word of NEWMINISCOTLAND was spread by all present

I was still too pissed to drive this morning8)

3GGG
    quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

A write up and piccys would be most welcome. Great set of pics David. I hope the word of NEWMINISCOTLAND was spread by all present
    More later once I get cleaned up and sorted out after a fantastic day at the races.
    The photos were very hit or miss with the digital camera as it will not fire the shutter at the exact moment you want it to because of autofocus/exposure, but I managed to catch some action never the less.

Was a little concerned when we arrived and were given 'Competitors Passes' - It did however let me wind Pat up a little when I got home and told her I was 3rd.

Linda M
    Great movie David Looks like it was a fun day
    Hmmmm.....must get Daisy on that track :evil:

3GGG
    A number of the Scottish MINI2 contingent met up at Kinross and travelled in convoy to Knockhill Racing Circuit arriving in time to see the practise sessions in the morning.
    At the entrance to the circuit we collected our complementary passes which rather worryingly were marked "Competitors Pass". We had our own fenced off MINI Parking area.
    Weather was bright but a bitter easterly wind blew in the time honoured Knockhill tradition.
    We were all given packed lunches as well as coffee and biscuits in the MINI tent, a rarther grand affair. Naturally we all had a good look around the paddock at the Works Cars and spoke to some of the competitors and mechanics about their experiences.
    Main work on the cars seemed to involve the brakes which were standard apart from the change to racing pads. There was a lot of brake fluid changing going on after the first practise runs.
    A number of the competition Coopers had been resprayed in different colours to the normal BMW ones. I particularly liked the blue that Ecurie Ecosse had used on their two cars.
    We positioned ourselves at the end of the start/finishing straight with a good view of about half of the track. As it turns out this was a good choice as a lot of action happened at the end of that straight including the only big shunt that ended the racing day for one poor white Cooper that spun and hit the tyre barrier, losing a rear wheel and having dented every panel on the car except the roof. The driver was unhurt we were glad to see. The race was halted while the car was recovered and the debris from the track swept up and tyre wall rebuilt. This was on lap 2 of the very first race.
    The racing was very close and the noise of the normal road tyres squealing on every bend really gave a good impression of the speed, much more so than the other non-MINI races during the day.
    The final race went the full 15 laps without mishap with the competitors really being able to show their skills as their brakes and road tyres reached melting point.
    We all made a quick exit from the course after that race to avoid the rush and were soon driving along in what seemed like silence compared to roars and squeals of the competitors cars.
    Many thanks to John Clark for the tickets and hospitality and of course to the drivers for thrilling and entertaining us.

Monsta Mo Mini
    That's great David - hope you don't mind me posting your report along with some pictures in the events section. Thanks again

lightbody
    "Wee Haggis" - do you mind if I repost your write up to the MINI section of the Mini Clan forum?

Monsta Mo Mini
    Thought you might also be interested in this wee article:

The Scottish MINI Cooper Challenge Cup has attracted a strong entry of both experienced competitors and newcomers for its inaugural season, which starts with two race meetings at Knockhill on Sunday, April 13.

One of the unusual aspects of the 16-round series, which is sponsored by the Stewart Milne Group, is that it takes in a range of motorsport disciplines from circuit racing to rallying. Also backing this innovative new championship are Adam & Company, Dunlop, Kwik Fit Insurance Services, Shepherd & Co and Waverley Press.

Among the entries are Alan Keith (Montrose), who has considerable experience in small one-make races, having won last year's Scottish XR2 championship. But he will have strong competition from the battling Ecurie Ecosse team drivers Alasdair McCaig (Penicuik) and Andrew Smith (Edinburgh), who face a busy season competing in this and the Caterham sports car series on both sides of the border.

Also sure to be a front runner is Alistair McKever (Glasgow) who has set such a fast pace in Radical Enduro racing in the UK and Europe. Meanwhile Arthur Forster (Morpeth) is one driver who starts with the advantage of having raced a MINI Cooper in a similar challenge. He contested the John Cooper Challenge in England last year.

Neil Dugan from Co Monaghan in Ireland will be the furthest travelling competitor, commuting across the Irish Sea to contest the series.

Alongside newcomers like Ronald Klos (Lochgelly, Fife), Steve Mitchell (Letham, Angus) and David MacLennan (Tore, Ross-shire) is former speed champion Mike Connon (Stonehaven) who is dusting off his crash helmet, to show the younger generation of motorsporting Connons how it should be done!

Joining the 15 regular entrants at each round will be a guest driver, competing in the John Clark MINI celebrity car.

Commenting on their sponsorship of the Scottish Mini Cooper Challenge Cup, Glenn Allison, Managing Director of the Stewart Milne Group, said:
    "This initiative is an integral part of our drive to increase our presence in the Central belt and surrounding areas. Motorsport attracts the type of supporter that neatly matches our customer profile and the commercial synergy will hopefully be beneficial to our business and the sport itself."

Bernard Buss, the co-ordinator of the series at the SMRC, is looking forward to the start of the series:
    "We are delighted to welcome the Stewart Milne Group as the main sponsors for this year's Scottish Mini Cooper Challenge Cup. It is good to have their support, along with Adam & Company, Dunlop, Kwik Fit Insurance Services, Shepherd & Co and Waverley Press, for the inaugural year of what will certainly be a fascinating addition to the Scottish motorsport calendar.

"One look at the entry list shows that this series is going to live up to the obvious potential. Along with some of the quickest drivers on the scene at the moment, we have an excellent number of newcomers keen to test themselves in this challenge.

"All the cars have been prepared to an identical specification by John Clark MINI, so the series really will put the emphasis on driving skill. The outcome will also depend on all-round ability because, in addition to the race meetings, the competitors will have to contest hill climbs, a sprint and a rally."

The events

There will be 16 rounds in the inaugural Scottish MINI Cooper Challenge Cup, encompassing the disciplines of circuit racing, hill climbs, a sprint and a rally.

Bernard Buss, the series coordinator, explains:
    "When we were looking at setting up the Scottish MINI Cooper Challenge Cup we determined that it should be a series that tested the skill of the competitors in more than one discipline. That is why we chose to incorporate a mix of events."

Following the initial race meetings at Knockhill, in Fife, the competitors take part in a hill climb at the Doune track, near Stirling. After two more races they take to the tarmac special stages around the Border town of Duns on the Jim Clark Memoria

3GGG
    quote:Originally posted by lightbody

"Wee Haggis" - do you mind if I repost your write up to the MINI section of the Mini Clan forum?
    Be my guest!