Cd player removal.

Car
    MK5 Golf GTI
    OK,call me stoopid but how do you remove the standard cd player from a mini?
    I assume I have to remove the 2 pieces of silver plastc trim at either side of the center console to gain access to the screws that actually hold the cd player in place.

Is there a step by step guide anywhere on the site?

Cheers in advance.

"It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll...."

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    you do need to remove the 2 pieces either side of the radio but in order to remove said 2 pieces you firstly need to remove the plastic area that is the cup holders etc.

Remove ashtray
    pull up leather gear stick gaitor ring
    remove electric mirror switch plate thing
    from what I can remember there is a screw in each of the cup holders at the front and 2 under where the elec mirror swith plate is.

the whole plastic piece should move out of the way a bit. Putting the car in 4th gear allows you to move it back even more. Then undo the 2 screws on each of the silver trims at the side of the radio. This will then reveal the 4 screws holding the radio in.

If you are changing the radio you will need a wiring adaptor, a facia adaptor and an aerial adaptor. There are 2 types of wiring adaptors, one type for boost and a different one for wave radio.

Hope this helps

Car
    MK5 Golf GTI
    Cheers Ian, that helps alot.

Whatever happened to the good old days when you could use 4 pop rivets to remove your stereo?
    Jeeze,I will have to remove half of the dash!:mad:

A couple of questions.
    1.I have a boost stereo with cd prep. how much is it for the adaptor and wiring harness?
    2.Would it make more financial sense to leave the stereo in, unplug the changer and get an ipod connector?
    2.1/2. how much is an ipod connector?

thanks again.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    you will get better sound from a decent after market unit but then I should imagine you will want to change the speakers.

You can go on ebay and get all the conversion leads and facia all in for about £20 I think. The boost radio has the flat pins, wave radio has the round pins.

yes you could unplug the changer and fit an ipod adaptor, not suer on price, better posting in the JC section.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Send a PM to mikeythemini, he has a 10 per cent offer on at the moment in the sponsor forums :)
    I did consider moving this thread there, but, your choice

mikey has a diy guide on his site for doing just this!

mikeythemini
    What year is the car - later ones are far simpler to do
    & as Alan says we have all the stuff in stock to fit a new one

Car
    MK5 Golf GTI
    Hi Mikey, its a 2002 52 plate.
    Could you give me prices for different options please?

muchos gracias.

mikeythemini
    Fitting kit - Facia, aerial adaptor & harness adaptor £17.02 + vat on the site, put NewMiniScotland on the order & save 10% (& I will also reduce the postage )
    52 plate as per our online DIY guide