Running in new R56

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eggy7496
    Hi Guys,

I will shortly be taking home my new baby and just wanted to know your thoughts on running the engine etc in. When i got my cooper a few years ago, mini recommended stay within 4k revs until you have done 1000 miles.

When you hear of the same type of car giving different performance figures, is it to do with the way its run in?

Thanks for your comments,

EJ

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I have always run in all my new MINI's (all 3 of them ) and not seen any bad effects from doing this.

I do know a certain member who guns the car from nearly day one and says it makes the car quicker... gods knows if that's right or not..

Eggy7496
    Really? Has anyone else heard of booting it from day 1 and giving the car improved performance?

EJ

Resident old yin.
    I would not go over the recommended revs - 4500rpm till 1200 miles, I think.

Best not to baby it too much and keep the revs moving around - i.e. don't drive long journeys at the same engine speed.

I've heard car sales people saying no need to run it, but what do they know

Resident old yin.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post

"Modern engines these days are bench run in, so there's no need to go canny".
    I've heard that too, but I don't think they "run in" over 100 000 engines just for MINI in a year.

They might give them a quick whirl, but I very much doubt more than that.

If they really were bench run in, why would MINI recommend such a lengthy run in by owners?

Eggy7496
    Anyone got anything else to add? Should be picking up my motor at some point this week, there was a chance it was gonna be ready for yesterday, but unfortunately its not! Grrrr, its like i am being teased!

EJ

vintageb3
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Found this years ago...not sure if i would follow it though

mark

Sweeney
    Engines are bench tested, keyword.. tested.

First 500miles keep it easy, variation of revs and speeds going up and down the gears, try not to keep a sustained rev in one gear for long journeys (motorway etc) and dont load the engine i.e. going up a hill in 4th with it struggling away at 1800revs sort of thing.

After 500miles build up your revs (although still as above) and when warm give it a good few blasts (not redline stuff obviously), After 1000 your fine to start (gradually) opening her up properly.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I'm a time served motor mechanic and this topic comes up very often.
    I've yet to see any absolute evidence to suggest you have to take it easy and i've never been convinced that you should either.

What difference, apart from the obvious, does it make to an engine if it is revved at 6k or 4k.
    The same action applies to the bores and parts albeit quicker.

Forgetting the manufacturers warranty warble, the worst thing that can happen is to labour the engine and load it for no reason.

One word of warning though, this is an open forum and if you post that you thrash your car and openly admit that you don't stick to the schedule you may find yourself in a bit of trouble in the event of a claim

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    Personally I adopt the BS cleaning theory.

Gun it, and let the next owner run it in later