Polish & Wax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All

Now the bad weather is hopefuly behind us and that nasty road salts gonna get washed away, what do you guys recommend to tart me motor up for the long sunny days ahead

I am sure there are a few well tested products out there, one for the long hard polish and one for the weekday quickie.

Cheers

Monki

SO FAR, SO GOOD, SO WHAT ??

Julz
    WELLLLLLL, I'm a big fan of Simoniz Teflon, leaves your car like a Tefal non-stick frying pan!! But I am currently away to try Meguires, just for a change!! Zymol is also very good, especially the shampoo!
    As for a quickie (oo-er), I took Wuls advice and tried the Meguires quick detailer for the show yesterday and it worked a treat, spray it on, buff it off and you're done!! So I reckon the Meguires may also be a good choice (they're tyre blackener is lovely too, and do all their products smell of different sweeties?? The quick detailer smells of Fizzers and the tyre stuff smells of the sherbet you get in the plastic straw!!)

Resident old yin.
    You can expect a reply from Wul in the very near future

I've used a variety of things on my MINI and have been pretty pleased with them all.

MINI's own Wax. Really quick and easy to use - good results.

Autoglym Extra Gloss - simple to apply but have to wait an hour or so before you remove it - good shine. Possibly worth applying this over a good wax base coat.

Meguiars Gold class wax - excellent results but a bit more work than the others above.

For washing I am currently using the Zymol wash available at Halfords. Results good and smells great:)

minidriver#1
    I've recently switched from Zymol wax to the whole Meguiars shebang. I've got the gold class liquid wax, trim detailer, wheel cleaner and tire gloss, and the car really does look like a mirror if you spend time on it.

I'm using traditional turtle wax shampoo to wash the car with, old skool style.

Starky
    If u like the Maguires try http://www.toys4cars.co.uk they've a sale on it, i use Mer i think it's the best, spray on stuff's ok but you can't get them tar spots off that way.

Steve74
    Zymol wax is the best I've used and it smells nice too! The leather cleaner is good. Shampoo is pretty good whatever make you use but turtle wax is pretty reliable.

Wul
    :ICome on now guys - i'm i really that bad!?:I

Well Monki - It really depends on what you are after!

Over the years I have tried many different car polishes and i'm a big fan of meguiars range - especially on my black car!

For the weekday wash I use the gold class wash as it produces a rich lather and leaves the car looking great, the soft wash gel is great too but i prefer the GC wash. After this as Julz said the quick detailer is brill - spray liberally on and wipe off straight away - it is that easy! or they do spray wax if you want to spend a bit more time.

As for the big treatment it's up to you how long you want to spend. to do the jop properly you need to first remove all the old wax products by washing your car with fairy to remove the wax. If the surface of your paint is not smooth then ideally you should "Clay" the car - this gets rid of tar spots and light scratches etc. Then you can apply your wax - I can recommend the Gold Class Clear coat wax. But i am now using their new polymer wax NXT Tech Wax (Not available in the UK for a few weeks yet) which is getting rave reviews in the US as it's more hard wearing than GCCCW and apparently gives a deeper shine.

If all this sounds like too much work then you can use a "cleaner wax" this combines a very light abbrasive cleaner and wax in one and is the most commonly used type of waxes. It won't make as good a job as the above but if time is a factor then you can't beat it! But Cleaner Waxes can't be layered - as you apply it, it cleans off any wax below, hence the residue left by these waxes.

The green zymol stuff from halfords is a cleaner wax - it's good but i found it very messy on the black trim!

Never tried autoglym stuff so can't really comment on their stuff.

Other areas to consider are your washing/ polishing tools - I use the lambswool mit as any grit is drawn into the pile and not scored over your car. Also wash in straight lines not circles to prevent swirls. Rinse the car by letting the water "sheet" over the car or take the rose off the watering can - this leaves less water to dry off. Dry the car with a good clean microfibre towel or terry towel with the seams cut off (the thread will scratch).

The toys4cars website offers a ggod range and the delivery is free or i can recommend here http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/ as they have a good range of towels too and delivery is free - post a cheque and the stuff comes quickly.

Thanks guys and thanx Wul, I was waiting for your reply, and I will be sending off a cheque to serious perfromance amorn,

Monki
    SO FAR, SO GOOD, SO WHAT ??

Sponsor & Jakey
    Oh Wul You really should get out more you know
    Occasional MINI driver....... but mostly Uma Thurman ;0)

Wul
    quote:Originally posted by Willie M

Oh Wul You really should get out more you know
    <Sighs> You know what willie...i think you're right!