Invalidating Tlc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BOYROLLO
    If I fitted the Lohen tuning package to my cooper s would it invalidate my TLC????? anybody any ideas

N12 JLK
    I think it may

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    all depends on the dealer that does your servicing. I have used 2 dealers with mods on my car (exhaust and induction kit) and they have not had any problems with servicing under tlc... Best to ask your dealer before hand, then you are covered. :)

Resident old yin.
    Like Craig said, it is up to the dealer.

However, the T&C's of the TLC agreement clearly say it will be invalidated if the car is modified!

A lot of the warranty could also be invalidated. Any engine, gearbox fault could be refused warranty work.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Any engine, gearbox fault could be refused warranty work.
    that's a bit of scare mongering there Ken if you don't mind me saying.

they would have to prove that any modification has caused the failure of other parts of the car. Yes, if you fit a short shifter on the gearbox, if the gearbox fails, you could have a fight, but if you fit a cat back exhaust and the cylinder head then goes, it is highly unlikely that that would be the cause and they could terminate your warranty. All of this is my understanding and by no way is it gospel.

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig & Jude View Post

they would have to prove that any modification has caused the failure of other parts of the car. Yes, if you fit a short shifter on the gearbox, if the gearbox fails, you could have a fight, but if you fit a cat back exhaust and the cylinder head then goes, it is highly unlikely that that would be the cause and they could terminate your warranty. All of this is my understanding and by no way is it gospel.
    thats bang on well i have used 3 diffrent dealers and had mods and they have never said a thing
    New sig coming soon

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Yeah but does'nt the Lohen tuning package involve a new gas flowed cylinder head etc etc, therefore a wee bitty more than alterations to air filters & exhausts ?
    Last edited by Crombers; 29th February 2008 at 02:44 PM.

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Resident old yin.

That is why I said "could" and not "would".

In this case, adding a tuning package that alters the engine performance, I think it would be very difficult to say that the mod was not a contributing factor to an engine or gearbox fault.
    Last edited by KenL; 29th February 2008 at 04:05 PM.

GAJ
    they would have to prove that any modification has caused the failure of other parts of the car.
    I think it's actually the complete opposite. If you have modified the car, the onus would be on you to prove that any fault was unlikely to have benn caused by the modified part. Some dealers may be more pragmatic about this than others.

iain cooper
    I would agree with Ken, ie if you modify the car in any way that increases the performance, then Mini/BMW would have a right to reject certain types of warranty work.

ie, they designed the car to perform in a certain way, and you have altered it, so why should they now be responsible for things that fail ?