Are runflats really that important?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Dogfather
    Eggy, not sure about enkei in the black. Another lightweight wheel is Oz Ultraleggra they are only 7.3kg in 18s and they come in a very dark finish: -

They look a lot better than the enkei's as well. In fact I might get a set my self.
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 24th February 2008 at 08:56 PM.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    The OZ's will probably be a lot more robust as well Being super light isn't always the best idea as they may be more prone to buckling on our wonderful smooth (NOT:mad:) roads
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Eggy7496
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    The OZ's will probably be a lot more robust as well Being super light isn't always the best idea as they may be more prone to buckling on our wonderful smooth (NOT:mad:) roads

Buckling?????? Really?? I did not epect that.....

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggy7496 View Post
    Buckling?????? Really?? I did not epect that.....
    It's one of the risks when you go for ultra low profile tyres and lightweight, we had to replace one of our Brabus alloys when Jackie hit something. They were 40 profile tyres I think.

The OZ wheels though are very strong though, which is why they cost more.

Eggy7496
    What about if i were to go for a 17" wheel rather than 18" wheel...? I take it wont be low profile tyres then...?

EJ

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggy7496 View Post
    What about if i were to go for a 17" wheel rather than 18" wheel...? I take it wont be low profile tyres then...?

EJ
    Plus, they'll be cheaper, lighter and they'll handle better. Oh, I'm considering dropping down to 16s on my MX5 when it comes time to replace the tyres.

Eggy7496
    MMMM very tempting, I treid to get hold of Ryan, can anyone confirm the size of his wheels and whether they are pro sports 1's?

EJ

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Eggy, I'm late coming in here and I think by now everybody's covered just about everything!

I run 16's with Runflats and always have done, as the ride/handling compromise with the JCW suspension is pretty good and there's a bit of meat on the sidewalls for our many Lanarkshire potholes to bite on. What I would say is that personally I wouldn't use Runflats on anything bigger than my 16's, as they're so solid that the ride's compromised, and the handling can get a bit 'skippy' on our rough roads, although the later R56 MINI seems to cope better in this department, as the suspension's a bit more compliant.

If I was to change it would be be to 17's with non-Runflats. But then,as the guys have mentioned, you have that (however rare) 'puncture in the middle of nowhere' scenario, and if you're carrying a spare, you ain't carrying much luggage!

This might interest you though. In this month's 'Evo' magazine, there's a test of the latest AC Schnitzer MINI, which runs their own suspension (Eibach/Bilstein) and 18's with Non-Runflats and apparently it rides and handles like a dream. The Schnitzer test driver reckons that 18" Runflats on a MINI are the equivalent of running 20" Non-Runflats.... and he probably knows what he's talking about. You pays your money.......

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    We always stick to run flats. The main reason for us is that I am not prepared for Lenore to out on a country lane, late at night, on her own sitting at the side of the road with a flat tyre. Regardless of whether she has the tyre repair gunk to squirt into the tyre, if she gets a puncture, for whatever reason, she has the ability to get home.
    A.
    BINGO!! That's why I have run-flats too.

Same here, don't like the thought of my Mum or Sister getting stranded. I've had loads of punctures since I started driving!