Are runflats really that important?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland View Post
    I'd have thought it was the other way around?? don't know for sure
    You're right Alan, decent aftermarket wheels are as light if not lighter but often a lot cheaper.

Eggy, its all about risk assessment, you work out the frequency (once in 15 years in my case) of things going wrong and the potential cost to you. Alan and Andy have mentioned the high potential costs for them if they get stranded, so they choose RFs to mitigate the risk.

However, in your case you have to ask would the potential impact of getting stuck (very very occasionally) at the side of the road waiting for a breakdown truck be enough to justify the RFs?
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 24th February 2008 at 01:09 PM.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    Alan and Andy have mentioned the high potential costs for them if they get stranded, so they choose RFs to mitigate the risk
    Not quite, cost is not important to me, just the hassle of being stranded

Eggy7496
    Thanks for your input guys, i have been looking at black pro sports. I was chattin to the guy in Checkpoint in aberdeen and he said that the alloys weighed 9kgs and a normal alloy can weigh between 20-30kg. So if thats all correct, plus the fact that a non runflat tyre is slighter than a run flat tyre, you looking at saving around 60+ kg's which i think sounds astonishing for a wheel chnage. He also mentioned that the power to weight ratio will also be imporved and slightly better fuel economy. Although these might seem very small enhancements, there are still postives. Also he said the lightweight alloys will be better on the suspension..... he talked about when you go over a bump and the suspension needing to work to push the wheels back down and the fact that the lighter the wheel the easier and quickier it is to push the wheel back down hence could lead to possible enhancements to the handling.

With what i have said (been told) and what you guys are saying about poorer handling on the funflats it sounds like the wheels i am thinking baout are a good option.

Am i on the right lines with the technical stuff i have just yabbled on about...? :)

Thanks guys,

EJ

Eggy7496

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Eggy, that's a stunning looking wheel. If I'm honest, I'm not a fan of black wheels, so it's not my cup of tea, but if that was in silver I would be drooling.

I stand corrected on the aftermarket wheel weight. I understood it to be aftermarket was heavier, but it just goes to show, I can occasionally be wrong about things. Not often mind you.:o

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    think those are the same wheels that Ryan has.. he's from Ayeberdeen too..

Eggy7496
    They are nice wheels like. I will have to try get in touch with Ryan then........ mate if your watchin i am looking for ya! lol

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland View Post
    Not quite, cost is not important to me, just the hassle of being stranded
    when I was taking about costs I wasn't meaning literal pounds sterling more time/hassle factor. Mind you time is money

The Dogfather
    Eggy, the wheels you are looking at are 9kg for 17s which is good but not that great. However they do look good though. I was looking at a set of enkei wheels and they are lighter at 7kg for a 17" wheel, thats probably as light as you can get. Remember to check the weight of the tyres as well, some can be a kilo heavier than others.
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 24th February 2008 at 07:24 PM.

Eggy7496
    Thanks dude, do you know if enkei makes a similar 18" black wheel at all off the top of your head?

Cheers

EJ

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    Eggy, the wheels you are looking at are 9kg for 17s which is good but not that great. However they do look good though. I was looking at a set of enkei wheels and they are lighter at 7kg for a 17" wheel, thats probably as light as you can get. Remember to check the weight of the tyres as well, some can be a kilo heavier than others.