Are runflats really that important?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Eggy7496
    Hey guys,

Been thinking about getting some nice aftermarket alloys for a change, i totally grudge having to splash out on the works 18" alloy prices, its crazy!

What i am trying establish is whether the runflats is to much of a 'goodie/benefit' to loose in the mini. I mean, is there anyone here that would say dont buy rims n tyres that are not compatible with the runflat indicator etc etc??

Thr only thing i can think would be pretty nasty is having a flat tyre on an 18" wheel as minis have no spare tyre hence runflats....

Thanks for your input,

EJ

The Dogfather
    Well if you want to get 18's to loose handling and acceleration then at least make sure the 18's (tyres and wheels) you get are as light as possible. You'll save some weight by not having runflats.

Both my Civic and my MX5 don't have spares and don't have runflats either, I have the gunk and breakdown cover. Remember with RFs you can only go a short distance at a reduced speed, and is very likely that the tyre will suffer some damage and may not be repairable.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I can only talk from my experience that saw my old S on the back of a trailer from Pitlochry to my house because i had aftermarket wheels and tyres on.
    The puncture repair kit couldn't seal the leak, so, there ended my day's run waiting for the recovery vehicle.

It's really your choice as there are pros and cons for each

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland View Post
    I can only talk from my experience that saw my old S on the back of a trailer from Pitlochry to my house because i had aftermarket wheels and tyres on.
    The puncture repair kit couldn't seal the leak, so, there ended my day's run waiting for the recovery vehicle.

It's really your choice as there are pros and cons for each
    But how many times have you had a puncture since then? You would have been pushing it to drive all the way back to Aberdeen on RFs as well, and you would have struggled to get a replacement or repair in Perth.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    But how many times have you had a puncture since then? You would have been pushing it to drive all the way back to Aberdeen on RFs as well, and you would have struggled to get a replacement or repair in Perth.
    That don't make a blind bit of difference, i hadn't had a puncture for at least 10 years before that and i could have made an effort to get back to MONTROSE where i live at the recommended speed in the manual.
    The fact is, you run the risk with aftermarket alloys and tyres and that's one i'm not prepared to make again

The Dogfather
    Fair enough, but I'm not willing to live with: -
    *compromised handling,
    *poor ride,
    *difficultly in sourcing,
    *extra cost,
    just for the sake of a freak occurrence, once in 15 years of driving in my case. Especially, when in most cases it could be fixed by using sealant. BTW mine in the A2 was sealed with the gunk stuff, but I replaced the tyre rather than repair it as it was nearly illegal.

Do RFs still have a limited range when punctured? Can they be used again if they've been driven on for awhile when punctured? Also how many places will repair them even when they been driven a very short distance?

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    We always stick to run flats. The main reason for us is that I am not prepared for Lenore to out on a country lane, late at night, on her own sitting at the side of the road with a flat tyre. Regardless of whether she has the tyre repair gunk to squirt into the tyre, if she gets a puncture, for whatever reason, she has the ability to get home.

As I understand it, aftermarket wheels are usually heavier than MINI wheels, but having never had aftermarket wheels, I don't know how this affects the car. And I guess it could be offset by the fact that non-runflats are lighter than run flats.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Just checked Dunlop's web site: Their run flats can be driven for 50 miles at a max speed of 50mph.

Goodyear the same.

Bridgestone 80km at 80kmph - probably the same as Dunlop and Goodyear.

A.
    Last edited by AndyP & Lenore; 24th February 2008 at 11:28 AM.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    Fair enough, but I'm not willing to live with: -
    *compromised handling,
    *poor ride,
    *difficultly in sourcing,
    *extra cost,
    just for the sake of a freak occurrence, once in 15 years of driving in my case. Especially, when in most cases it could be fixed by using sealant. BTW mine in the A2 was sealed with the gunk stuff, but I replaced the tyre rather than repair it as it was nearly illegal.
    I can confirm that in the wet the run flats are pathetic and also compared to aftermarket tyres, are crap when compared in the dry, but, for my freak occurrence i aint taking a chance again
    All the reasons you listed above, i don't consider cause of my experience and am happy to accept the poorer performance than with "normal" tyres.

This topic has been discussed many times before and everyone has their reasons for their decision, so, Eggy mate, it's your call what you decide

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    As I understand it, aftermarket wheels are usually heavier than MINI wheels
    I'd have thought it was the other way around?? don't know for sure