Milltek Exhaust System - 175 bhp to 202 bhp!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by drb5374 View Post
    Turbo'd cars can GREATLY improve with an aftermarket system.

Catalysts drain so much power.....way more than an N/A car.

I wouldn't quite hope for 25hp from a S/S system on the S, but i doubt it's as low as 10hp.
    Yes, but we're presumeably talking about a Cat-back SYSTEM ONLY here - no mention of replacement High Flow Cat/Manifold/Downpipe etc, so they're not changing the Catalyst in this instance. I reckon my Playmini SYSTEM was worth about 8-10bhp, and I picked up some more from the Manifold & Sports Cat. I reckon even standard exhaust systems on 'performance' cars are pretty efficient these days, so you're not going to get huge gains as you did in the 'Olden Days'. Anybody remember swapping their 'peashooter' classic Mini exhaust for an LCB manifold and RC 40 system? Nope? Thought not........

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

drb5374
    Fraid not fella.

If you read the PDF at the start of the thread, it states the entire exhaust from turbo back has been replaced, including a high flow sports cat. Ok no manifold, but i wouldn't have expected much more power from changing that....mainly just better(if properly built) driveability.

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Anybody remember swapping their 'peashooter' classic Mini exhaust for an LCB manifold and RC 40 system? Nope? Thought not........
    Over here...........the old guy way at the back waving.....I was that soldier:o also fitted twin 1-1/4" SU's at the same time..almost doubled the bhp of the standard set-up
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Fraid not fella.

If you read the PDF at the start of the thread, it states the entire exhaust from turbo back has been replaced, including a high flow sports cat. Ok no manifold, but i wouldn't have expected much more power from changing that....mainly just better(if properly built) driveability.
    The R56 Cooper S has a Manocat, so the catalyst is actually part of the Manifold. I don't think it's possible to replace the manifold. You can replace a small pipe that goes from the engine block to the top of the manocat (as fitted in the R56 JCW upgrade), but the manifold effectively is the cat as well. That's my understanding from looking at the car and speaking with a local exhaust technician.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

drb5374
    Hairy muff Andy, but going by this.... http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust....?variantid=221 it sounds like the cat is in the downpipe....like quite a few turbo'd cars, although yes there are with "extra" cats in the manifold/pre-turbo.

I'm sure we'd know for sure if you had a wee quick gander around that area?...just to be sure.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Fraid not fella.

Sorry, I didn't read the pdf, just the posts and nobody mentioned a Cat-Swap! I still think 25bhp is optimistic without a remap on the Turbo S. Check MOREGO'S power outputs WITH a Remap and with an exhaust. (I think it's 216bhp with both fitted, but I can't be sure). I don't think any of these claims are taking into acount that the R56 is producing more than 175 bhp to start with.

In all cases, if you take it that the standard car is putting out over its 'insurance-friendly' quote, say about 190 in real life, then if it's now making 202bhp with the Milltek, that's more like 12bhp. Still a very decent gain, and it'll sound great I'd expect, but not the gain advertised. Any of the recent road tests of the R56 in standard form against other 'hot hatches' seem to have it punching well above the '175' it's supposed to have, so it seems to be fitter than BMW are letting on. It IS VERY torquey though.........

My Playmini Manifold/Sports Cat certainly made/makes a difference to my old R53. It hangs on in there and pulls right to the redline, whereas before it didn't quite have that 'oomph' at the top end. I noticed this especially in its previous 'non-JCW' incarnation. The manifold on the R56 was a notorious 'bottleneck' as far as getting the gasses out, which is why I changed it. Maybe the R56 is different. I've just learned through experience not to believe big, easy exhaust or intake power gain claims!

Gordy - Ahhhhhhh, the memories. Remember your Werther's Originals on the next run!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

drb5374
    Agreed. :)

I think the gain from exhaust and remap, will be more-so the exhaust.

Car
    Disagreed.:)

I think the gain from the exhaust and the re-map will be more so the re-map.

A.

drb5374
    Lol but it's already pretty much proven it's just the exhaust comparing the Milltek and MOREGO's figures.

....unless of course you get the boost upped with the remap, but there's nothing to support the tuners having done that.

Car
    Hairy muff Andy, but going by this.... http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust....?variantid=221 it sounds like the cat is in the downpipe....like quite a few turbo'd cars, although yes there are with "extra" cats in the manifold/pre-turbo.

I'm sure we'd know for sure if you had a wee quick gander around that area?...just to be sure.
    I'm pretty sure that's right mate. The cat is in the manifold downpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    .......I don't think any of these claims are taking into acount that the R56 is producing more than 175 bhp to start with.........
    I think this is it in a nutshell. It's all down to marketing. For MINI they put a car out there which has a decent stated BHP figure that keeps the majority of their customers happy, but is also reasonable to insure. For the aftermarket tuners, they take a car which has "175bhp" and stick an exhaust on and dyno the car and find it's putting out over 200 bhp. They probably did dyno the car before the exhaust was fitted, but are choosing not to share that figure with us (the public) because it actually dyno'd (unmodified) at 190 bhp - ish. To tell us their exhaust gives the car an extra 24 bhp is a far better phrase than saying it gives the car an extra 10bhp. It's a fine line between marketing and lying. All IMHO.

A.