How long u usually get out a set of brake pads

S7JGW
    Just had to replace the brake pads on my Cooper S (R53) again, seems to chew through them. Brake pads last as long as two sets of front tyres?
    Is this normal,
    Cheers
    Jim

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Really depends on how you drive, if you're into spirited driving and always find yourself slamming on the brakes etc then yes, you will get through pads.
    If you consider that you're not braking heavily then maybe the calipers are slightly seized, but, that wouldn't explain why the seizing calipers hadn't been detected at the frst pad change.
    Really difficult to say until you own up to your driving style

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland View Post
    Really depends on how you drive, if you're into spirited driving and always find yourself slamming on the brakes etc then yes, you will get through pads.
    If you consider that you're not braking heavily then maybe the calipers are slightly seized, but, that wouldn't explain why the seizing calipers hadn't been detected at the frst pad change.
    Really difficult to say until you own up to your driving style
    He's a spirited driver, I've seen him.

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    My recently 'retired' Coop has 53000 plus on the clock & I'm still on the original pads.

Makes note to oneself, ................... go faster & brake harder :o

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

S7JGW
    Yep i do like a spirited drive now and again
    But dont think im really one for a lot of braking. Was just thinkin that it might be the traction control chewin the brakes as i think it puts thebrakes on when trying to get grip, might have chewed them up during the snowy time lol
    Jim

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    Brakes are a waste of time they just slow you down:)

When I had my mini I got about 30,000 miles out of a set and the rears where worn out at the same time.

NeuroBeaker
    I wore out the original pads in my ONE at 25,000 miles. Then the BMW dealer (then Henry Brothers) told me that I'd managed to wear out the discs too. Not knowing any better at the time I forked out ~£400 for new pads and discs all round even though my brake warning light hadn't come on yet. :(

Anyway... I'm now up to 46,000 miles and the pads have really gone this time. The warning light is on. Instead of replacing with manufacturer brakes, I'm upgrading to an aftermarket set. Hopefully they'll be fitted tomorrow along with some strut braces.

Hope that was of some help.

All the best,
    Andrew.

vintageb3
    Brakes are only required for slowing down or stopping...I don't have time for either

mark