To wax, or to polish, what's the difference?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    Actually it was a thank-you-but-no-thank-you.:o

I think I'll stick to something mid-priced.

A.

but don't you want the best for your car. I sure Ian bought some recently.

Was giving the X'er the Zymol Titanium treatment today.
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieCoop View Post
    but don't you want the best for your car. I sure Ian bought some recently.

Was giving the X'er the Zymol Titanium treatment today.
    I do want the best. But that needs to be within reason.

How many treatments would I get out of the tub your selling?

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Resident old yin.
    I do think wet sanding or even using a circular polisher are OTT for a car in good condition. I am no expert but am happy with the results I have on my red MINI.

If I were you, I would wash with Fairy Liquid to strip the old wax. Rinse and clay bar. Use a paint cleaner/sealant (e.g. Klasse AIO) or if you are able to wax often enough, just wax it.

I like P21S, but it does not lasy very long so now use Collinit 476S. Really easy to use, finish is great and durability seems very good.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    I do want the best. But that needs to be within reason.

How many treatments would I get out of the tub your selling?

A.

Phew you get alot alot of treatments about 50 to 60 applications.
    Cooper Coupe...

JCWmini
    Only problem with Zymol it has to be applied in a warm environment with some heat in the bodywork. Can only get the right conditions inside this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by JCWmini View Post
    Only problem with Zymol it has to be applied in a warm environment with some heat in the bodywork. Can only get the right conditions inside this time of year.

well the guys @ polished bliss who know more about detailing than god knows what - they were applying Zymol in 6C and they said it cured fine within 5 mins and they didn't have the garage heaters on and the doors were open.
    Cooper Coupe...

JCWmini
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieCoop View Post
    well the guys @ polished bliss who know more about detailing than god knows what - they were applying Zymol in 6C and they said it cured fine within 5 mins and they didn't have the garage heaters on and the doors were open.
    Should i send them a badge?

Quote Originally Posted by JCWmini View Post
    Should i send them a badge?

Not sure! Should you.?
    Cooper Coupe...

vintageb3
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    and hold your hand while you use it for the first time. no smutty comments please Mark.
    I totally and utterly resemble (spelling?) that remark!!!

Actually would have missed that one...but you do know me so well

mark

vintageb3
    Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    I do think wet sanding or even using a circular polisher are OTT for a car in good condition.
    I don't think anyone on this thread is actually suggesting wet sanding, rotary or DA polishing good paintwork....well I certainly don't recommend that.

But if you have swirls...and they annoy you...those guys that have PC'd their cars seem to be happier afterwards.

Ian has been to Andy's car and I'm sure will have given Andy some good advice.

I've seen cars pre delivery that need paintwork corrected. I know that Mr Davies asked for both his 56's to be delivered without the wotsit cleaning work done to it...so that he could ensure that a dealers dirty sponge didn't touch the paintwork.

If you have ever used a PC....you will know how slow it is to correct paintwork defects...this in essence makes it ideal for the job. You would have to have big feet and red nose to damage the paint on your car with a PC.

A rotary polisher can damage paint in seconds.

As Ian suggests....heat is required to break down the grit in the polish. This diminishing grit polish is another reason why you get such a good job. Starts "abrasive"...and breaks down to a fine polish.

Anyway...I checked my bonnet again today...I've picked up more stone chips on the bonnet...and on my aero front bumper:(

But at least I will have fun sorting them in the spring:)

There's a couple of bits on my car that I want to work on....so the spring will be time enough to look at them.

Over the winter....I'm just happy to wash.

mark