To wax, or to polish, what's the difference?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Mark, I've just been texting with Ian....

The red does have a clear coat. But TBH, I really can't see any fading. I really think this car has been looked after. Whether it's been garaged or covered, or what, I don't know. But I don't see any fading. But that may just be my untrained eye.

The polishing will take out the swirls though right? Even if won't touch any fading that I can't see.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

vintageb3
    Red is bad for fading...so the clear coat must stop or reduce this fading. Ian?

Polishing will remove the swirls and scratches...but to do that by hand would be like sweeping out the cinema with a toothbrush....you would get it done...but it would take ages....and wouldn't be as well done as using a sweeping brush & vacuum.

Power tools do have benefits over hand tools...not just energy saving but the make sure that an even result is achieved.

If you don't plan on buying a PC...I would get someone to do it for you (if its even required)...then take on the job waxing by hand

I still wished i had bought that Boxster S I went to look at....but only to take it home and sort out the paintwork...then punt it on...

mark

vintageb3
    Also...

As Ian says...polishing is only required once or maybe twice a year.

If he car is two years old...and hasn't been polished since new...there's a good chance...its due a polish. Well...unless the guy had a PC or did work on the paintwork for the last two years washing it correctly and keeping it well waxed etc.

You have only just bought the car...you need time to see it in different light...there's no rush to get into this. Use the winter to research the method...choose a method and start enjoying the process.

Although...after using a PC....I wouldn't even bother hand polishing anymore. You don't get the same level of WOW factor.

mark

duncan
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    What process and products do you use?
    Just whatever the guy at the hand car wash uses.
    So much lazier, i mean, easier.

Cheers Ian.

I was speaking to VintageB3 last night. He recommends a PC, but I think I'm gonna tackle this one by hand for now. If we were doing all three cars with polishing and waxing, I'd maybe think about one, but for now, I'm gonna stick to hand.

Also gonna stick to me and myself doing it - thanks for the offer of your professional services - that's one of the reasons we bought the car; a labour of love.

The plan for just now (during the crappy winter weather) is to stick a decent wax on it. The paintwork quality is actually very good. There's a fair few very light swirls (as you would expect on a red car) but hardly any chips. No dings at all.

In early spring I plan to:

Clay Bar all the crap off the car.
    Polish to get even more crap off the car and remove any oxidised paintwork.
    Seal the paintwork.
    Wax away to may hearts content.

Can you tell I don;t have a ******* clue what I'm talking about and I got this form others? LOL

Anyway... that's the plan. I may have missed out some stages. Going to be doing more research from now to then, so should be better informed by the time I get down to doing it.

A.
    Your car to have paint work looking top dollar then you should get someone who knows how to use a rotary or a PC to do the first stage for you.

What you describe above will certainly protect what your car paint work is like at the moment. But no hand work will improve to finish unless like vintageb3 said and you wet sand. I myslef wet sanded the rear or my E46 just at certain bits that really needed some work. It was OMG what am I doing took 4 days from start to finish to get it just right and I am talking just doing a small area.

On what product best to use honestly you can go on to the detailing forums and read many many posts on what product people think is best. It is all down to personal choice. I have a couple tins of the Zymol Concours Glaze I could sell one to you for h'mm £120.??
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieCoop View Post
    Your car to have paint work looking top dollar then you should get someone who knows how to use a rotary or a PC to do the first stage for you.

What you describe above will certainly protect what your car paint work is like at the moment. But no hand work will improve to finish unless like vintageb3 said and you wet sand. I myslef wet sanded the rear or my E46 just at certain bits that really needed some work. It was OMG what am I doing took 4 days from start to finish to get it just right and I am talking just doing a small area.

On what product best to use honestly you can go on to the detailing forums and read many many posts on what product people think is best. It is all down to personal choice.
    Cheers Fi. I'm looking forward to this. Gonna take my time and get the paintwork really seen to in the spring. Whether that is me doing it or I buy a Porter Cable or I punt it off to a pro to do the PC'ing I don't know yet.

I have a couple tins of the Zymol Concours Glaze I could sell one to you for h'mm £120.??
    Cough, splutter, choke...... FOR A TIN 'O WAX???? WTF???

Diamondbrite anyone? Just kiddin.

JCWmini
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageb3 View Post
    The Zymol Ian?....Is it polymer or carnuba?

mark
    Zymol is a carnuba product.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Yes Zymol is Carnuba and a very high content at that.

Wet sanding is good at removing swirls etc, always best to practice on a scrap panel before doing a car though if you have never done it before.

Yes the mini red has a clear coat so it wont fade as easy. Like Mark was saying you are polishing the swirls out of the clear coat not the paint.
    Old school red vauzhalls and volvos are bad for going pink, that is because they had no clear coat.

Like others have said you will never get swirls out by hand, even if you has arms like popeye. The compounds need the heat generated by the machine to break them down and they dont work properly until they are passing about 3000 rpm. Infact attempting by hand may even add swirls to the car.

In the mean time you could mask the swirls using a polymer filler type of polish such as Megs NXT. It contains polymers that fill the scratches and swirls. Only lasts about a month though.

Andy as you know I had a look at your car this afternoon when I was in Gala. It appears as though your car has been well looked after. I didnt have my brinkman torch with me to inspect the paint fully but it wasnt bad at all for 2 years old. There were some swirls there but it looks as though the previous owner has been a 2 bucket person.

Like I said I can do it all bling for you if you want, you could even be my assistant so that you see how its done or if you decide to purchase a machine and products I will be happy to advize and hold your hand while you use it for the first time. no smutty comments please Mark.
    Last edited by ianking; 15th December 2007 at 04:48 PM.

Cheers Fi. I'm looking forward to this. Gonna take my time and get the paintwork really seen to in the spring. Whether that is me doing it or I buy a Porter Cable or I punt it off to a pro to do the PC'ing I don't know yet.

Cough, splutter, choke...... FOR A TIN 'O WAX???? WTF???

Diamondbrite anyone? Just kiddin.
    so is that a yes you want to buy the polish.??
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    so is that a yes you want to buy the polish.??
    Actually it was a thank-you-but-no-thank-you.:o

I think I'll stick to something mid-priced.

A.