Fog Lights

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    The Dogfather
    I think you're right Duncan, however our resident 'engineer' will be along soon to disprove what you're saying.

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    I think you're right Duncan, however our resident 'engineer' will be along soon to disprove what you're saying.
    You reckon?

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by low_n_loud1 View Post
    You reckon?
    Nah, he's too busy trying to prove that 1.6mm of tread on tyres is excessive.

JCWmini
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong,

My understanding is that the main beam of the headlamps is angled to the Nearside, but This isn't the case with Fogs, and they are set straight on.

Well in for a penny.

Main beam is aimed straight on, headlamps are dipped to the left.

Fogs are aimed low and straight, with a beam pattern more spread out so that they pick up the edges of the road.

Sorry Buffoon despite what you think you know nothing about me hence why your posts are becoming increasingly ridiculous.

How about you stop your juvenile attempts at winding other members up.

duncan
    And yet they're still straight ahead - like a main beam - so very much prevelent to dazzling drivers coming the other way.

You're also forgetting that headlight beams are tested at the MOT time for beam alignment, something that fogs aren't, so if they ever go out of alignment, they'll rarely be adjusted back to the correct pattern.

JCWmini
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post

You're also forgetting that headlight beams are tested at the MOT time for beam alignment, something that fogs aren't, so if they ever go out of alignment, they'll rarely be adjusted back to the correct pattern.
    Not forgetting anything, as in the first post I suggested poorly set up headlights are much more dangerous, that would also include fogs for sure.

I have yet to come across any cars that cause me glare issues with fogs on. Defiantly have from main beam or poorly adjusted headlamps.

Fogs should not project much more than 4m beyond the front of the car, with a wide spread beam pattern.

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWmini View Post
    Well in for a penny.

Main beam is aimed straight on, headlamps are dipped to the left.

Fogs are aimed low and straight, with a beam pattern more spread out so that they pick up the edges of the road.

Sorry Buffoon despite what you think you know nothing about me hence why your posts are becoming increasingly ridiculous.

How about you stop your juvenile attempts at winding other members up.
    Other members? Nah, only you, you're obviously special, [e]special[ly] rude [e]special[ly] ignorant. You should have apologised for the 'terminally stupid' comment and you might what to be a little less rude, the badge post you made in response to SC was a perfect example.

But tell you what I'll open another thread with a vote so we can draw a line under this foglight debate. Majority wins eh?

euan
    Blimey, what did I miss in here!

My viewpoint...

Front fogs dazzle, particularly in the wet. If your in a 4x4 the effect may not be so bad, but in something lower like a classic mini, or sports coupes it can be a problem. And that is the point here - if it's a problem for ANY road user, you shouldn't be doing it.

Fi - it may well be different on newer ones, but on my E46 it's not the fogs that come on if you brake really hard, but an outer set of LEDs on the brake light.

And in response to Mercedes use of fogs - they do it, but not in the conventional sense. It was a new system and is called the Intelligent Light System. I'll leave others to fill in the line that goes with that - Link

Car
    Mini Cooper S
    Bloody 'ell...wot you all like!....fighting over "fog lights":o If your not happy with peeps using them...just put full beam on n be done with it!

s12cot
    right... thought I would turn on the front foggers on the subaru this morning to see if they made an impact on what i could see in the dark..... as most of you know scoobys have rather larger foggers..... well it makes no differance to what i could see in front of me, in fact i was almost standing up in the car to see the differance they made...... which was nothing

so from my point of view, only use them when the law states that they should other wise they are a pest to other road users... and you don't have to point out i can't spell because i know...