16" Winter Wheels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vintageb3
    I just put a set of 16" 5 star alloys on as a set of winter wheels.

Not really taken with the look...

I had 15" Holies last year...and i loved them...car was soooo much nipper. The car was like a go kart. The car was lower...I thought they looked OK as well...but I sold them...

16" are not as much fun...and as they are runflats too...just as bumpy as my 18" 's...no lowering either

No extra acceleration either :(

So...I recommend 15"s...and may go back to them next year!

mark

The Dogfather
    Mark, get some decent tyres, mail order's best

Runflats are the devils licorice

vintageb3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    Mark, get some decent tyres, mail order's best

Runflats are the devils licorice
    Yeah I think someone did a whole load of posts on that recently...

I miss my 15"s...but feel safer on runflats.

Wished I could afford a car with a roof on it...

mark

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageb3 View Post

Wished I could afford a car with a roof on it...

mark
    Well now then, you know what to ask Santa for.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

vintageb3
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    Well now then, you know what to ask Santa for.

A.
    BAH HUMBUG!

mark

The Dogfather
    Andy, we could start by welding his current one in place so it doesn't blow away to start with

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    Andy, we could start by welding his current one in place so it doesn't blow away to start with
    chuckle, chuckle.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

The Dogfather
    Mark, I've just had the winter tyres fitted to my car, same size rims as standard (17") but slightly wider 215s. They are still being scrubbed in but they've already surpassed the performance of my summer tyres.

I had a drive out to the moors behind where we live and I found a very heavily frosted track which was fairly steep, the MX5 went up and down it no problem. I'm actually looking forward to getting some snow just to see how good they really are.

vintageb3
    Good to hear VB....

I haven't been near the car since Sunday....but I did go for a wee run that day. The 16" 's I have are Good Year somethings in a runflat. They are OK on grimy roads...but does any winter tyre give you the feeling of driving on a dry road?

The 15" wheels & tyres I used last year were better...and the 15" 's were so much fun. It was Vredsteins on the 15" 's....but if I had a puncture...i was up that creek without that paddle and without a spare. Also...don't fancy a blowout without a bit of tin above me.

So...that's why I have decided to stick to runflats. If its snowing...I drive the van....and knowing that the tyres I have are not winter tyres...will help keep me from doing silly stuff...well until spring

Enjoy your new motor!

mark

The Dogfather
    Mark, the new winter tyres are like driving in summer but in winter. If that makes sense, there's no glassy feel like you get with summer tyres on cold roads. Plus they grip on snow and frosty roads, sheet ice isn't so good though.

BTW, you can get run flat winter tyres, not as cheap as non run flats though.