20MPH zones...are they legal?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    s12cot
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieCoop View Post
    I always thought as long as you were driving within the law and under the speed limit. If a person came out in front of you and you had no time to stop or avoid you couldn't be charged.

No so sure on that, think they can charge for careless driving?? All depends on your speed and road conditions, I think the systems is set up fairly strongly against the driver??

N12 JLK
    We moved to a quiet cul-de-sac as we were always afraid when Kerr went out to play in our estate, it is a 20 mph zone but all the idiots kept flying passed the house , when I cleaned the car and they flew passed they always knew my displeasure. I know that Kerr is very clever and knows the rules of the road but with all the cars that park on the roads/pavements and not on their drives makes it even harder for children to play and be road safe.
    20's plenty in built up area's but bring it on on the open roads.

Goldminione
    On my way to Lennoxtown you come through villages. The speeds change quite dramatically, 60s open road, then all of a sudden a 40 for a small village reach kilsyth and its 30 Even some of the open roads are 40s. Linlithgows 20 through the town which i think is fair their and beside schools.

Alan

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Think the police do take circumstances into consideration when a pedestrian is knocked down. A few years back a drunk fell off the pavement in front of my car in Aberdeen. I wasn't charged as there were too many witnesses about who told the police that I hadn't been speeding and there had been no indication that this guy was about to topple over into my path. Got the fright of my life especially when I got home and found his earphones wrapped around my front bumper. I did get the bill for the ambulance though which I sent back and advised to be redirected to the drunk who fortunately was unhurt. Much later i was able to half laugh at this guy falling in front of me without buckling over, a bit like the housekeeper in Father Ted when she falls off the window ledge. Still, its not an experience I'd care to repeat.

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

How about the time-limited 20mph zones for schools? If they're normally 30mph, but 20mph when the lights flash, can you speed up to 30mph when it next says 30mph on the road, or is it 20mph for the entire 30mph zone? Can't find info on that anywhere!
    R56 Cooper, pepper white/black, feck all extras.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by korky View Post
    How about the time-limited 20mph zones for schools? If they're normally 30mph, but 20mph when the lights flash, can you speed up to 30mph when it next says 30mph on the road, or is it 20mph for the entire 30mph zone? Can't find info on that anywhere!
    Just after the 20mph zone has been passed (past the School or whatever was giving rise to the temporary Zone), you will find a small "30" sign. This tells you, you are back into the 30 zone.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Julz
    Thought I better pipe up here seeing as I'm a roads engineer who speant two years working in local government roads traffic department and accident investigation!

Duncan, as was seconded, is right. Red circles is legal, green circles are recommendations. As for the locals being notified, what do they matter!! Basically, the consultation for such a change is huuuuge, local community, council, police, public etc.... are all involved but there has to be a justified arguement. Schools need no justification but for ridiculous places there has to be evidence as to support the arguement. Generally this can involve a few months of irregular speed testing, half of it you never know about, ie me sitting in my car with a speed tester, the rest you do, ie the minute-man double rubber pipes across the road!! Going by what you're saying here, it sounds to me like somebody made an @rse and did the traffic calming on the wrong drawing, on the contractors traffic calmed the wrong location, it does happen and no-one owns up!!!

As for the double yellow line comment elsewhere that I can't remember, a double yellow line is only legally enforceable if it is associated with the correct road sign!!

The end.... I'm fed up now and have a road to design.....

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    The end.... I'm fed up now and have a road to design.....
    make it a twisty one

Julz
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    make it a twisty one
    Oh don't worry, it is:mad: !! Twisty roads are seen as better for traffic calming :(

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    As for the double yellow line comment elsewhere that I can't remember, a double yellow line is only legally enforceable if it is associated with the correct road sign!!
    And it also must end with a line directly towards the kerb and cover both ends of the yellow lines