Top Gear Last Night

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Dogfather
    Really good last night, OK the alfa test was a bit pants but loved the Motorhome racing.

But, wow didn't they lay into the new Type R. Wouldn't like to have just traded my car in for one of those ..........

New type R Should have had a re think before it was launched...

would have thought they would learn by launching the Entry level one first But no...

Sweeney
    Yeah was surprised at the slating they gave it, still wouldn't deter me to get one.

Although Tiff loved it on 5th gear, so who knows... its certainly easy to make ANY car look bad...

euan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
    Yeah was surprised at the slating they gave it, still wouldn't deter me to get one.

Although Tiff loved it on 5th gear, so who knows... its certainly easy to make ANY car look bad...
    At the end of the day, it's better looking, better equipped and more comfortable than the last one. On the very limit of handling without independant suspension, yes it's not going to be as good but how many people actually drive it that hard all the time?

Wouldn't put me off it at all.

The Dogfather
    I think the fact that its slower and has a far worse ride (less comfortable) would people off. Afterall a lot of the appeal of these types of cars are in the braging rights rather than the real driving ability.

BTW, remember 5 get a lot of money from advertising so they're not likely to really slag any car off. Plus, they've said that the Civic is the best car in it's class, although that was the non cooking version.

Having seen the lap the Civic did it was understeering like crazy, safe but no fun at all. At least the MINI gives you a bit of lift-off oversteer, well my Cooper did anyway.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
    Does 5th gear ever say anything negative about a car. I think they are too scared of the manufacturers to ever say anything bad as they might not get cars from them to test in the future. It might be because 5th gear is no where near as big as top gear.

The Dogfather
    Also Top Gear has about 5 times as many viewers

euan
    Now, here's something interesting.

For all the abuse it got, the new car did it in 1.33. The old car, accoring to the website, did it in 1.36.5. I assume it was a wet lap?

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by euan View Post
    Now, here's something interesting.

For all the abuse it got, the new car did it in 1.33. The old car, accoring to the website, did it in 1.36.5. I assume it was a wet lap?

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/
    Must have been as they raced the two together and the new car couldn't keep up

JCWmini
    I cant remember it being in the wet, but could be wrong, might just be a case of cr@ppy journalism.

Wouldnt really ecpect anything less from TG. Its more a question of what makes an entertaning program than good motoring journalism.