Tints

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikster8 View Post
    Had i been aware I was breaking the law I would have definately had the tints changed.
    Thanks again, Nikki x
    Or removed? Maybe?:o

'Cos any tint other than MINI standard tint on front windows puts into the illegal bracket - regardless of how nice they look.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Nikster8
    Sorry wrong word! They have already been removed and the glass as standard lets through 71% of light so thats fine, anything below 70% is apparently illegal.

Resident old yin.
    I am glad to hear that some officers are doing their job and stopping people for having illegal windows. A warning and displaying your car within a certain period to check it was compliant would be better than a fine though. This leniency should only be applied to people who had not previously been warned.

I really wish they would be more vigilant on my pet hate though, dodgy plates and people on mobile phones - these really gets my goat

Gordons_cooper_wrks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    I know this conversation has been done to death, but can't help reply to the thread.

Duncan is spot on. Ignorance of the law is not a defence. But I think Nikki has been unlucky in buying a car with a valid MOT thinking this covers the tints. I guess it doesn't.

But GCW: "''Mon the tints"????

Would you still feel that way when you pull out in front of a cyclist you didn't see because the other headlights were blinding you and your tints prevented you from seeing him/her?

The rules for the level of allowable tint on front windows are there for a reason. And just being "pretty", "cool", or any other adjective does not prevent you from being punished by law.

A.

i take into account to what you are sayin but my Last 2 cars have had the same % of tint and i ahve never had my vision impared. i also have never been stoped or dun by the police for them. i think they are only abt 4% over according to the guy that fitted them. A lot of you have seen my car and u can still see in and out of it no problem. i do agree if they are to dark they should not be allowed but i feel there are much more important matters the police could be dealing with such as drugs!! drunk driving!! theifs!!! peodos!!! and alot of the other scum that is around just now that should be locked up. So i will re phrase my last coment "MON THE SAFE, NON VISION IMPAIRING, TINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweeney
    No one ever comments or picks up on tints when people post their mini pics on here

duncan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordons_cooper_wrks View Post
    i take into account to what you are sayin but my Last 2 cars have had the same % of tint and i ahve never had my vision impared. i also have never been stoped or dun by the police for them. i think they are only abt 4% over according to the guy that fitted them. A lot of you have seen my car and u can still see in and out of it no problem. i do agree if they are to dark they should not be allowed but i feel there are much more important matters the police could be dealing with such as drugs!! drunk driving!! theifs!!! peodos!!! and alot of the other scum that is around just now that should be locked up. So i will re phrase my last coment "MON THE SAFE, NON VISION IMPAIRING, TINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The police can only deal with what they see. And the traffic police generally don't go after the people you want them to. Plus, if they're stopping you for tints, they'll probably have a good sniff of your breath, or breth test you. Which, in my book, is good.

The story is that someone has already died thanks to impared vision caused by too heavy tints. That is one completly avoidable death too many.

In the case of the MINI, there is so such thing as a tint on the front that is legal. If the powers that be have deemed 70/30 is the limit, then anything more IS vision imparing. Unless you are an expert in glazing and filters who can prove that its not imparing, then you're just have to deal with it.

Remember, your driving licence is not a right, its a privilege. And if your not able, or willing to accept that there are limits with it, then you should post yours back to the DVLA.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Can some of the tint police explain why sunglasses can be worn no matter what tint they are and even worse, at night

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland View Post
    Can some of the tint police explain why sunglasses can be worn no matter what tint they are and even worse, at night
    I'm sure they can Alan, but that's almost impossible to legislate against. But I would imagine if an incident occurred and a driver was wearing dark glasses and the police believed those glasses contributed to the incident, they'd have some awkward questions for the glasses wearing driver. No reason why those questions wouldn't lead to charges.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    what he said ^^^^^

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    I'm sure they can Alan, but that's almost impossible to legislate against
    Nonsense, if it was considered unsafe enough the money grabbers would bring it in.
    Plus, tell me you don't hinder your vision by never wearing sunglasses whilst driving

Nikki,
    I wouldn't pay out immediately, i'd go to court and plant the blame squarely on the garage's shoulders, as others have mentioned, ignorance is no excuse, but, under the circumstances i'm sure the judge would be sympathetic and it would also highlight to the garage what happened.
    I think i'd would be going in to see the garage anyway for an explanation why an illegal car can be sold to you :mad: