Tints

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Nikster8
    Hi all,
    Last week I got stopped by the police for my window tints. They did a check on the glass and it averaged at about 33% light getting through, this meant my car was classed as a "danger" on the road and i was issued with an instant 3 points and £60 fine.
    To me, this was a bit harsh as i didnt even realise they were illegal having only bought the car a few months ago with full MOT certificate. I have already had the tints removed and feel a fine and a warning/timescale to get them removed would have been a fairer punishment.

AND... I also got a warning that I had no rear reflectors as I have the clear light clusters fitted at the back! What do you think is the best option to fix this? I have heard about some door protectors from halfords but I really dont want to have anything that looks cheap and stuck on! I have an aero kit fitted - any ideas?!

Thanks, Nikki x

Most times they will give you a warning on the tints, and ask you to remove them in a certain time. However they are within their rights to fine you on the spot.

For the reflectors i use the red door reflectors from a cooper or one, stuck onto the black plastic in the bottom of the bumper. MOT legal and police friendly and only a couple of quid each (make sure you get cooper or one ones as the S ones are white).

Car
    R53 GP
    I got 3 points for this aswell, however its not official as of yet as I am taking it to court.

I, Like yourself bought the car from a reputable garage with full MOT certificate etc completely unaware that this law for tinted windows was in place.

The reasons I am going to court is that they let me drive the car home (which they shouldn't have if it was so illegal), I had been out in the car with my Driving instructor and its the car I sat my test in (they didnt state any danger involved), everyone else i know seem to only be receiving £30 fines, and even worse a few of my mates have been pulled...and nothing has been mentioned about the tints!

+ How come you can wear sunglasses ... nah thats not a good comeback

I still think they done me due to it being a nice car + it was just the day i passed my test.

Ahh rant over

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    nikki, sorry you got done by the police. The garage who sold you the car should have made you aware that the tints were not legal.

For your info, the punishment for tints is on a sliding scale. The less light that gets through the higher the punishment. so with only 33% light getting through, they have gone for the option of the points and fine. Less of a tint and it is normally a warning and get the tints off asap. If it was more tint than that, they can put a prohibition notice on the car there and then meaning it cannot be driven on the road until the tints are removed.

It's a hard lesson to learn, however I would get onto the garage to have them compensate you as if they are in the trade, they should be aware of the law..

duncan
    I think you'll find that ignorance of the law isn't a defence.

Gordons_cooper_wrks
    I think i must depend on the weather on whether on not they test you. Myself and about another 100 boyracers got pulled at out regular sunday nite mfi hamilton meeting point about a month ago . they pulled us into 3 different areas and everythin on the car was checked, searched and details taken. they guy infront of me got his tints tested but i didnt. my tnts are just over the limit but luckly for me they didnt test me. i think i sucks that people are gettin dun for tints. ok if it hrms ur vision but they need to be so dark for this to happen.. they sound be out there stoppin the drunk, drug and un insured driver who are the real criminals on the road!!!!! Mon the tints!!!!!

Sweeney
    I wonder whos had 1 too many ^^^ lol

If they were only letting through 33% through it must have been rather obvious that they seemed darker than should be?

Its been talked about and mentioned all over the place in recent times as well, i think you wouldn't get too far in the claims court with this one if you contest it... Although i would contest if it was me.

Just get tints on but make the fronts lighter this time, so you are within the "caution" band of things, tints look really good

sorry to hear this.

TBH I think it is just Mr Plod sticking to the letter of the law. On a good day with a decent cop I am in doubt you would have got of with a fine and a warning or maybe just a warning.

But then again they seem to stamping down more on tints hence I not even bothered getting my car done front or rear
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    I know this conversation has been done to death, but can't help reply to the thread.

Duncan is spot on. Ignorance of the law is not a defence. But I think Nikki has been unlucky in buying a car with a valid MOT thinking this covers the tints. I guess it doesn't.

But GCW: "''Mon the tints"????

Would you still feel that way when you pull out in front of a cyclist you didn't see because the other headlights were blinding you and your tints prevented you from seeing him/her?

The rules for the level of allowable tint on front windows are there for a reason. And just being "pretty", "cool", or any other adjective does not prevent you from being punished by law.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Nikster8
    Hi All, Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go for that idea for the reflectors so thanks!
    RyanK - Very interested in your reply as I am in Aberdeen too, seems there is a copper round our area ready to stamp on these tints (agree with the fact that its prob coz its a nice car!)
    I am also looking to take this further as still believe I was harshly dealt with. I was allowed to drive the car home too which does seem rather strange if its such a danger..? Think its worth pursuing in court.
    I still dont think this is an issue as highly publicised as the mobile phone law....i think u'd have to be from another planet not to know that one! Had i been aware I was breaking the law I would have definately had the tints changed.
    Thanks again, Nikki x