DVD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Steve74
    I've been thinking about getting an in-car DVD player and wondered if anyone had done this and had any advice. My car is an MCS with Nav and Harmon Kardon but no TV tuner.

Today I was told it would cost £2.5k to install a system which is quite a lot (clarion DVD head unit, new amp). They also said that they couldn't use the existing Nav screen as it had no TV tuner and therefore no Video inputs!

Does anyone know if it is possible to source a DVD player (no screen) and adaptor/box kit to connect to the in-car Nav as the sound is fine off the HK system and it would be a shame to not use the LCD screen. Or maybe someone has gone down this route and found a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Wul
    I'm sure Bonnie Scotland had this kinda setup before he went't for a mobile cinema - once he gets up i'm sure he'll answer your querie.

Or email mikeythemini and ask him - www.newministuff.co.uk

Steve74
    Thanks Wul. I just spoke with Mike and NewMiniStuff and it will cost £1000 all in. Thats pretty good I think and all it takes is 2 pieces of kit and the DVD goes in the glovebox. Prob solved, cheers!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Steve, will you be using the sat nav screen for your display or are you insatlling a seperate head unit??
    If going the head unit route and all you want is to watch DVD's then fit a PS2, best of both worlds :)
    Check out mikeythemini's website for pictures of my install, includes headrest screens

Steve74
    I had a chat with Ray Smith today and they said that I couldnt change the headset without screwing up the Harmon Kardon. I would love a PS2 as I could play my GTA VC game in the car - only thing is if I get carried away and drive like the game

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    So, it's the expensive option of the sat nav screen connection then the price is allegedly due to come down in the summer once somebody makes a kit

Steve74
    Well thats what they said. Just thought though, after I spoke to Mike at Mini Spares about getting the Nav-TV kit and single DVD in the glovebaox (while retaining the Harmon Kardon) I just realised I could fit a PS2 as my DVD player. That would be cool but can you get a smaller in-car version of a PS2?

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by Steve74
    I just realised I could fit a PS2 as my DVD player. That would be cool but can you get a smaller in-car version of a PS2?
    The PS2 will fit in the glovebox, don't know if it would come out again without removing he whole thing, mine is on a shelf (no glovebox option).
    You could always change it to have a shelf and sell the glovebox, get's complicated really quickly don't it :evil:
    I assume you meant Mike at newministuff

Steve74
    Thats right - long day - Mike at NewMiniStuff. I just realied though that to change a DVD I would have to use the controller! It seems like so much hassle - even my mobile phone has a rally game and touch screen and for a lot less money. Def going to go for the Nav-TV, just will have to decide on single dvd or ps2....

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    A PS2 will also fit under the passenger seat :)
    No matter what kind of DVD system you go for there will be some kind of interface required to manipulate it, whether it's a remote control (Single DVD) or a cable type controller (PS2)
    You gotta decide what is more useful to you :evil:

For the PS2 you will need a convertor to go from 12v to 240v to make it work, mikeythemini has all these bits, i think you can even get one to go inside the PS2 itself.