White shading on black vinyl - how to get rid.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Chemical guys gel and also poorboys gel are both very good on plastic trim

Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    Chemical guys gel and also poorboys gel are both very good on plastic trim
    I agree have used them both the thing is only use a small amount and work it well in to the plastic making sure you leave nothing on the paint. I actually put masking tape on my paint so I could get right up to the edge of the plastic.
    Cooper Coupe...

Resident old yin.
    I would follow these advice you have been given to remove the white marks and then put this on: http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=428

It is not only wax that dulls the trim but other factors like UV and perhaps road salt, car wash etc.

I have only been applying this stuff every 2 or 3 months to the R56 and the arches look fine. I don't rate any of the other products designed for this sort of thing.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Cheers for the feedback guys.

Gonna try the peanut oil process tomorrow.

Will let you all know how I get on.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

vintageb3
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    Im pretty sure a co-polymer remover will do it.
    Or if you dont want to go as harsh as a co-polymer remover then a strong mix of TFR (traffic film remover) will do it. I also have this product at home.
    Hi Ian...

Sorry I misunderstood you over the co-polymer...i did indeed asume it was a solvent. If its not a solvent...what is it?

Although saying that....you state in this post that the co polymer can be harsh. I assume its harsh only in the respect that its a man made product?

Nut oil is natural...and that's why I like it...totally harmless to the plastic trim.

If Andy wants quick results...he can try a wee bit of both our sugestions. The nut oil will show results quickly...but I reckon the nut oil, if left on for a longer period gives better results that a short time. If you are doing this...may as well leave it for 24hrs

Fiona...I did read somewhere that some people do like the peanut butter because they feel the texture can be used to work into the plastic.

Of course...use what you are happy using! I only mentioned the Groundnut Oil because found it easier to work with without any real rubbing in...and it washed off easilly...and assume easier than peanut butter.

Go round the car in 10 minutes

Good to hear that Poorboys stuff works as well....I'm using their wheel sealant...I think its great!...and it smells like bubblegum

Great posts from everyone!

mark

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Update........

Carried out the three stage procedure as described by Mark (VintageB3) early this morning.

0. I would have washed and dried the arches had I not washed the entire car yesterday afternoon and it hasn't moved an inch since.

1. Applied groundnut oil liberally to all arches and black bottom surround. Applied with paintbrush (couldn't find a 1" so had to use a 1 1/2", hope that won't effect the outcome ), then rubbed it in to the plastic using a microfibre cloth.

Then I allowed the oil to cure into the plastic while I zoomed off into Gala to pick up a bottle of Auto Glym Bumper Care stuff.

2. Washed off the nut oil with a hot soapy solution using Jewelultra car shampoo - couldn't bring myself to use fairy. Then dried the arches with a clean microfibre cloth.

3. Applied the Auto Glym with another clean microfibre cloth to all arches and black bits.

It has come up lovely. The proof will be in a few days, 'cos the Jewelultra vinyl stuff went on fine also, and stayed nice for a few days, but eventually turned white. So in a few days after some rain and rotten weather it will be interesting to see how it looks. I'll keep the thread updated as time goes on.

As the nut oil was only on the black bits for about 40 mins, I may well need to re-treat them sometime. Next time I'll try and give them an over-night treatment.

BTW I thought the Auto Glym Bumper Care stuff resembled the sh!t coming out my nose last time I had a bad cold. Lovely!

Thanks for every-one's advice. Lets hope this works.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

markyc
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    BTW I thought the Auto Glym Bumper Care stuff resembled the sh!t coming out my nose last time I had a bad cold. Lovely!

A.
    You really are gross Poole, what a thought

Hope the process works. I've had the smooth peanut butter on the arches a wee while back and it worked a treat, wax came off no bother at all and brought the black plastic back up well oh and it tastes great as well, just have half a loaf lying next to the car and you can have your tea when you cleaning the mowta :)

vintageb3
    Andy...good to hear the process seems to have worked.

Interesting that car shampoo works:)...I will try that next time!

I've only had to do my car once in a year with the nut oil...and I like the Autoglym bumper care better than the Meguiars stuff.

Maybe Ian and Fiona can chip and tell us if the bumper stuff they use is better than the Autoglym stuff if they have tried it.

Could save us buying all these products unnecessarily.

mark

Quote Originally Posted by vintageb3 View Post
    Andy...good to hear the process seems to have worked.

Interesting that car shampoo works:)...I will try that next time!

I've only had to do my car once in a year with the nut oil...and I like the Autoglym bumper care better than the Meguiars stuff.

Maybe Ian and Fiona can chip and tell us if the bumper stuff they use is better than the Autoglym stuff if they have tried it.

Could save us buying all these products unnecessarily.

mark
    autoglym is fine Poorboys is great Chemical Buys is brillant.
    Cooper Coupe...

N12 JLK
    didnt like the poorboys stuff Fiona, I have taken the advise of MrC and have only used Turtle wax speed wax on ours and they have stayed looking great, water just beads off.