The police 'v' Tints

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi All

Been down the cop shop today to report my Cooper getting keyed and the police officer asked me when he saw the car,

Are you thinking of getting tinted windows, I said no as this was clearly a loaded question !!!

He said "right answer" and I asked why,( I knew why ) He told me this will be against the law in a few weeks.

I said , "but you wont bother much about that" and boy what a look he give me, clearly I was wrong but I asked again just to be sure and he told me he has been to John Clarke to get these removed from the options list, then with a look of a bad muthaf***er he said "and I will stop and summonds anyone with tinted windows", at the risk of pushing my luck I asked "how can you enforce this", he told me "owners of cars with tinted windows will be given two weeks to produce their cars at the police station with the tints removed, if they do not they will be fined", at this point our conversation on this matter was finished as he was scaring me. It was over by him saying, "watch out mini drivers", this is when I left !!!!!!!

This man clearly has issues but beware !!!!!!
    SO FAR, SO GOOD, SO WHAT ??

minidriver#1
    its been illegalsince last tuesday as i found out :(

howeve, window tints on hte back 3 windows remain legal. No tint at all is allowed on the front windows. This is due to a minority of numb nuts that drive around using just their front window to see the road since their front tints are too dark.

There have ben a vareity of accidents / incidents involving tints and which have been blamed on tints. thin kteh uk is the only country enforcing such a law at the present time.

duncan
    To be honest, its time the feds started clamping down on illegal car mods.
    Its about time those blue led windsecreen washers, and number plates with illegal fonts, especially the fancy scripted ones, are stopped.

As for tinted windows, there could be a good claim against the owner of the vehicle and the place that fitted the tints if an accident occurs and they're proved to be a factor.
    In that case safety should come first.

However, i have often wondered about the legality of police cars fitted with headlights that alternate in flashing, as they are only displaying one light at a time, does that not constitute a moving traffic offence????

broken_brian
    quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

its been illegalsince last tuesday as i found out :(

thin kteh uk is the only country enforcing such a law at the present time.
    it is also the same in germany that is why they only darken the glass on the 3 rear windows. parent company being german and all that

but how does the law affect cars that have the 2 front windows tinted as a factory option like my mates vauxhall ashtray are they going to make him replace the two windows :question:

minidriver#1
    the tints have to be removed by the manufacturer of the car or whoever, within 10 days of being stopped or at your next mot. a pain in the arse if ever there was one.

Bloody crazy, will this work be paid for by the owner or the maker, surely not the rozzers,
    SO FAR, SO GOOD, SO WHAT ??

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Is the tinting illegal on any front side windows or can it be a certain percentage :( I have 25 per cent, will that be ok :( I don't think the car looks right with just the rears done, just my opinion :evil::(

Mini Martyn
    B******s, why do they keep picking on us, I think they should make it illegal for a car (onless a classic) older than 10 years to be on the road as they are more dangerous than tinted windows!! :evil:

Sponsor & Jakey
    I ordered my new MINI in November and specified the factory tints (rear 3 windows only) with the intention of getting the driver and passengers windows done aftermarket (Pentagon). Just before Xmas I became aware of this sh*t-storm and was in a real dilemma as to what I should do.

I decided to leave the front windows and see how this new legislation progressed. I'm starting to get used to the 'look' of the car with just the rear windows tinted. IMO it doesn't look too bad on the DS car but I parked next to a silver Range Rover yesterday that had rears only tints and I thought it looked horrendous :disapprove:

I can certainly see the safety implications of severe tints visibility wise but, as Duncan says there are plenty other less than legal mods that seem to go unchecked.
    Occasional MINI driver....... but mostly Uma Thurman ;0)

Julz
    quote:Originally posted by Mini Martyn

B******s, why do they keep picking on us, I think they should make it illegal for a car (onless a classic) older than 10 years to be on the road as they are more dangerous than tinted windows!! :evil:
    Does this include Herbie????:(:(

This is an issue very dear to my heart (as I have 35% tints all round!) and cannot see the arguement as to how the front side windows can be dangerous, I can see perfectly clearly out of mine and have the added benefit of sun protection in the summer!!
    With any luck, my local bobbys will stick to the sensible approach, and only do itdiots in Novas with the self apply black cling film!!!:evil: