JCW Exhaust Baffle (Norm/Chris! :P)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sweeney
    Had my original jcw exhaust replaced under warranty by Eastern, the baffle had went for a long time and i just never got round to getting it replaced/fixed.

However, the baffle is going again, i can hear it rattling, not completely loose but theres a wee rattle starting and getting worse. 3~4months out of an exhaust is pretty shocking .
    Is there any known repairs for this yet norman seeing as its a recognised problem? If not, does anyone know if it would be possible for an exhaust place to either fit a better silencer or get into the inside of the current and sort it once and for all (remove em ) not sure if they can or not given its stainless steel. Don't want to have someone hack away and weld on it to find after a month it starts blowing/breaking away :o.

Seriously tempted to go playmini route etc (maybe even JCW S exhaust?) as this is gonna be a pain in the arse if it keeps happening!

X30YES
    < Baffled

Sweeney
    Shut it you

Bignorm
    hey mate just book it in get it checked

Sweeney
    Its a nuisance though, much like myself lol.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    I'd get on to the Dealer again and get it checked out - no point paying somebody to hack it about (thus totally invalidating any cover etc). If there's something inherently wrong with these silencers (which seems strange) ask for your money back, as it's "not fit for purpose".

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Sweeney
    It is a known problem with the cooper jcw exhaust, as a few members on here will confirm they had it replaced under warranty like i did. But i know it's going to go again in a few months time as the past two have

Was thinking of going down the hacking route as it would solve the problem altogether but surely they must have changed something in the manufacturing process as to prevent this fault constantly re-occuring, it seems not though :(

X30YES
    Help ma boab I'm exhausted now ....

<Saying nothing about the Playmini one either >

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Sweeney, that's a bummer - if it's recognised fault, requiring replacement (which is obviously the case, as they've replaced it under warranty before, thereby admitting liabilty), I'd be asking for my money back, as it's simply not up to the job ('Fit for Purpose') and you shouldn't have the hassle of replacing the exhaust every few months - no matter who's paying for it. Ridiculous.

Folks tend to spend the extra dosh on the JCW gear as it implies a 'BMW- assured' quality - so if the quality's not there, one of the main incentives for buying the stuff's shot to bits and it's being sold under false pretences. Who actually manufactures these COOPER silencers for JCW/BMW anyway? The Early Learning Centre?

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    kinda got to agree with Elfman on this one :) .... if you look at my JCW exhaust on my last car it only lasted 6 months before the back box had to be replaced as the baffles had collapsed... If you look at any Playmini exhaust for a Cooper (as that is the direct comparison) then most (and I can only go by what I know) have not failed and Low'n'loud has had his for about 4 years and GAJ has the one that is off my first Cooper so that will be 3+ years old and neither of them have had any problems with build quality/faults.

The playmini is also cheaper so it's not as if you paying more for longevity ?

Think JCW/BMW/MINI need to sort this problem out, before people start to lose confidence in the products.. :(