Fitting of Chrome Mirror Caps

S7JGW
    Anyone have instructions of how to change mirror caps ona R53, have had them in the garage since Christmas and hopeing to get them on when i give the car a good clean later on in the month,
    Cheers
    Jim

Sweeney
    Yeah, its really fiddly though. Need a long thing screw driver or alike and a torch (i changed my red ones for carbon fibre). If you want a hand ill be happy to help

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Taken from MINI2:-

The first thing you need to do, is switch on your ignition and lower the mirror as far as it will go.

If you now look through the gap, you should be able to see the clips inside. Easy if you have white mirror covers, harder if they're black.

Starting with the clip nearest the window, slide your screwdriver, spoon etc through the gap and under the clip. Then lever the clip up and the first part of your cover should come away. With your other hand, lift this part of the cover up so it doesn't spring down again. Continue holding the cover and lift up the middle clip. Slide your hand further under the cover to prevent both clips from springing back down.

Now do the same for the third clip along, making sure you have a tight grip on the cover.

You are now left with a very bare looking mirror. Might be worth giving the back a quick clean up, to remove any water and dirt, which may have found its way in there

To fit the new cover. Slide it on, bottom first, engaging the two clips, then roll cover up to engage the top three clips.

Sweeney
    Ah was looking for that, thats how i done it but its really fiddly :o

S7JGW
    Ahh sounds straight forward enough just bit fiddley il have a go when get time, cheers
    Jim

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    To be honest I done it much easier than that.
    I got a plain ended screw driver with a very thin end on it. Put a cloth over the screw driver end and starting at the bottom of the cover (underside) I just popped it off. Took all of about 7 seconds.

Sweeney
    You risk breaking the clips unless you lift them off the catches though, the carbon fibre ones i bought from gp_g had a couple clips broken :( but sit secure enough

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Ive done 3 sets now that way and never broken any of the clips.

smiglyy
    hi bud i took the mirror glass out made it easy to see the clips 5 min job

S7JGW
    Got it done thanks lads will post pictures if weather ever clears up when the car is clean again lol
    Jim