GRS Intercooler Upgrade

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    No Craig, not going to do the 'tyre thing' again, wrong thread! Will just do my intercooler and forget the remapping. It either won't make much difference or will cost £300.00 and b*gger the whole thing up.....

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

GRS INTERCOOLER ORDERED! (On Holiday next week, so, hopefully) get it on Tuesday, fit it on Wednesday...... blow it up on Thursday........

'G3 ELF' will be even COOLER from now on!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Sweeney
    Says your looking at 8bhp more and if you went for the chargecooler would've been 16bhp but thats almost a grand lol

Didn't think a Chargecooler was really necessary for my state of tune anyway - the Intercooler will do the job nicely, ta very much, and as you said, the Chargecooler's nearly £600 dearer. The money I 'saved' can pay for a good few fill-ups of 'V-Power'!

Just wanted the GRS intercooler so I can get rid of the diddy standard one and make the most of the JCW upgrade - I don't reckon the engine will be getting any more done to it for the forseeable future, if at all - it's quick enough for my needs. (Old F@rt!......where's me Werther's?)

Sweeney
    No need to do anymore to it anyway ewan... Not as if your out racing with tom dick and harry

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
    No need to do anymore to it anyway ewan... Not as if your out racing with tom dick and harry
    Yeah, I fell out with them ages ago!!! Now it's Marky C, Jason and Crombers

Sweeney
    Ah well no competition there then lol

Aberdeen Al
    I'd buy an oil catch can & snoot boots to get the best out of your GRS intercooler

Al - to quote Midge Ure - “it means nothing to me....Oh Vienna”. Oil Catch tank I MIGHT figure out eventually, but 'Snoot Boots'? Sounds like something a cat freak buys for their pet in cold weather....... Please explain! I'm not totally lacking knowledge, but there's obviously a gap here! TA.

"snoot boots" are the black rubber bellows that join each end of the MCS intercooler to the 'snoots'. GTT do some nice ones that are shaped differently and give a better seal.

The oil catch can does exactly what it says on the tin, again GTT do a nice one, with a little wee dipstick so you can check how much oil has been "caught" and prevented from entering and contaminating the intercooler core, which dramatically reduces its cooling efficientcy.(ie reducing power).

Also by trapping the oil you are stopping it from entering the combustion chambers, where the effect would be to reduce the octane of the fuel as it mixes with it . Lowering the octane results in earlier onset of pinking; this reduces power combined with much greater risk of engine damage!