Spot Lamp Fitting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    Mini Cooper hatchback with Cooper S front grill, JCW badges, Chilly Pack, Red with Black roof.
    Way...way back in my younger days, I fitted spot lights to an Astra, screw em in, connect to the Headlamp bulb connector and 'da-ra!' spot lamps!

Ordered a Set for Emma from Cool New... The instruction manual resembles the Thompsons Local Directory! Which includes removing the underside of the bonnet, door frame etc!!! Dunedin want 2.5hrs X £75 + VAT to fit... my response... 'Away & eat Gerbils Gibblits!":mad:

So anyone know how to fit them or know of someone that can? I do reward generously...
    R2-D2 Mini Cooper Clubman. Also has SPORTS button that says SPORT when you push it. Vroooooom!

GAJ
    Zoooooom!!

Wul
    Or go to your local auto electrician and get him to fit them for you - i'm sure they'll be cheaper

Few words of warning though!

1. For a correct install - a switch needs to be installed in the dash next to the headlight level adjuster - this means removing the dash section, cutting a hole in it and passing a wire through the bulkhead - all very fiddly!

2. If they are OEM ones (I think they are if i read the brochure right) then you will need to get your dealer to activate the setting on the ECU to make them work correctly - and on MINI2 there are lots of people complaining about their dealer charging 30mins labour to do this - £37.50 in your case! So you may either have to sweet talk them, cough up the cash or get it done the next time it's in for warranty/ service work!

Resident old yin.
    quote:Originally posted by Wul

1. For a correct install - a switch needs to be installed in the dash next to the headlight level adjuster - this means removing the dash section, cutting a hole in it and passing a wire through the bulkhead - all very fiddly!
    Hold on a minute Wul

They should operate along with the main beam - i.e. when you pull the indicator stalk. So why do you need an extra switch - Confused smilie required here :)

There should be a FAQ/official instructions on MINI2 when it comes back up.

Wul
    The switch is a legal thing apparently Ken - it gives you the option of high beam with or without the spots activated - you can download the pdf file for the fitting instructions from MINI2.

I'm sure KJ can confirm the presence of this switch on his Coop!

However i'm sure some scotch block and wire strippers and you could "piggy back" the spots to the high beams without the need to go near the ECU or dashboard!

:)

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I will mention one thing, warranty, the lamps require to be enabled via the ecu, they also draw a fair bit of power and should be routed through a suitable relay.

Wul
    quote:Originally posted by Wul

However i'm sure some scotch block and wire strippers and you could "piggy back" the spots to the high beams without the need to go near the ECU or dashboard!
    quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland
    I will mention one thing, warranty, the lamps require to be enabled via the ecu, they also draw a fair bit of power and should be routed through a suitable relay.
    I was only kidding guys!:I

Resident old yin.
    Hopefully this should provide the fitting instructions:

http://www.bridger.us/mini/howto/Driving_Lights_902.pdf

Julz
    Mmmmmmmmm, as the proud owner of a new set of spots, me thinks they might just get attached for aesthetic purposes and no wired up, too much hassle!!!:dead:

Car
    Mini Cooper
    I was thinking of fitting spots after finding my mini lights not that great during the dark winter drives to and from work but changed my mind now! good luck Davidson - let us know how you get on