Removing the passenger parcel shelf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mark R
    Anyone know how I get the passenger side parcel shelf off?

I've undone three torx screws, one in the rear of the shelf and two at the top edge just below the silver dash bit but it still seems pretty well stuck in there.

duncan
    ISTR when I fitted the glovebox on my old One, that it needed a good pull to come out.
    I should still have the old shelf in the loft, so i'll see if I can find it, and see how many fixings it has!

Edit:-

OK, its seems there is 3 in total torx fixings, and at the bottom, there are 2 tab type fixings.

Mark R
    Guess I just need to give it a good pull to get it out then. Did you need to remove the down tube to get it out do you remember?

duncan
    Nope, it just came out on its own.

I was looking back some old MINI2 threads about gloveboxes, but can't see the one that had better instructions.
    There's maybe an old fitting guide there, or there's always Real OEM to see the parts involved.

Are you fitting a glovebox, or just needing in behind the shelf?
    If you're fitting the box - the wiring for the light is taped up in the loom at the bottom of the silver airbag cover, and not very visable.

Mark R
    Just need the shelf out so I can drill some holes into it for my AUX port adaptor install. Want to put it in there rather than down under the toggles like it's shown on MINI2.

Just needed to know how to get it out. Don't know if there are any wires behind where I'd drill it and don't want to take the chance either.:)

Thanks for the help.

duncan
    No problem - good luck with it!
    You know where there's a spare shelf, just in case

Mark R
    Lets hope it doesn't come to that.

Wul
    Procedure:

Remove 3no visible Torx Screws; sit in passenger seat facing shelf; put on seat belt; raise feet to just above the level of the dashboard; then in a smooth action bring feet down onto leading edge of shelf as fast as possible. Consider shelf dislodged!

you are aware there is a small panel below the toggle switched that is held in by 2 torx screws and that's it - no clips broken or anything - much easier than taking the shelf out!

Mark R
    quote:Originally posted by Wul

Procedure:

Remove 3no visible Torx Screws; sit in passenger seat facing shelf; put on seat belt; raise feet to just above the level of the dashboard; then in a smooth action bring feet down onto leading edge of shelf as fast as possible. Consider shelf dislodged!

you are aware there is a small panel below the toggle switched that is held in by 2 torx screws and that's it - no clips broken or anything - much easier than taking the shelf out!
    So why do I need to put the seat belt on?

Yep I know the panel your talking about, I remember putting it there when I put my storage tray in.

Still I'll stick with putting it into the shelf, unless of course your offering to fit it for me into the little panel?

Wul
    Seat belt is incase you miss the shelf - stops you from chibbing the dashboard!