ELFMAN'S TYRE CHOICE...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    3GGG
    My Aug 52 Cooper has the standard Sports suspension and originally came with Dunlop RF on 16" rims. I changed to Goodyear F1 Non RF 16" later and the ride/grip was much improved. I put tyresafe in them just in case and 'touch wood' no problems at all.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Cheers David. How do you find the tyres for 'firmness' in 16" form? Reason for asking is that ages ago I put 14" Goodyear F1's on my 106GTI, and while the wet weather grip was excellent, in the dry the sidewalls were just too flexible for the (uprated) suspension - they're still on my Mum's 1.1 106! I went on to 15's and Yoko 539's on the Pug. I presume the F1 16's with their lower profile will be a bit less 'bouncy'?

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

3GGG
    I haven't found them bouncy, they are slightly lower profile than the the original RF 16" - 205/50 v 195/55. Overall I like them much more than the RF, especially in the wet.

....more food for thought. TA.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

T100L
    OMG guys, defo alot of info there, i was away to take off my run flats on my gp this week, now im begining to wonder?
    if anybody has done can they recommend a good 205/40/18 tyre please?

thanks
    john

The words “Can” and “Worms” spring to mind... I keep making up my mind for certain - then changing it again!

I think my current Goodyear NCT5 runflats are a pretty good all-rounder, but the compound is pretty hard, so while wear's good, grip in the wet could be better, and they can feel a wee bit 'wooden' at times. The new generation of runflats eg Goodyear Excellence (as fitted to some new new MINIs), from what I've read, are using more advanced tread patterns/compounds with Silica stuff to improve grip etc. But I still think a 'proper' 'performance' non-runflat, like 3GGG's Goodyear F1's will get the best out of the car - unless you run over a nail..... Play safe or just play? It's a quandry!

3GGG
    Put in the Goodyear F1s and a nail in the tread will be sealed by the stuff. Note I don't mean put that squirty stuff in AFTER you get a puncture - I mean put tyresafe in as a preventative measure, that is what it is designed to do.

Details http://www.cvs-vehicles.co.uk/pages/tyresafe.html

BTW I have a drum of the stuff plus the pump etc.

It's OK David, I knew what you meant Re. preventative treatment - the simple 'nail' scenario was probably a bad example for me to use. However, some types of tread/sidewall damage could be beyond sealing, whereas the tougher construction of the runflat might save the day. Ta for the info though.

quote:Originally posted by T100L

OMG guys, defo alot of info there, i was away to take off my run flats on my gp this week, now im begining to wonder?
    if anybody has done can they recommend a good 205/40/18 tyre please?

thanks
    john
    You'll struggle to get non-RF'a in this size, need to go for 215/35/18. Lots of choice at this size, Goodyear, Falken, Toyo, Yokohama etc etc...

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Just been out with my tyre depth gauge - I have about 5mm tread on all my tyres, so I've got a wee bit more time than I thought to make up my mind!

Anyone got any more info on the new O.E. MINI Goodyear 'Excellence' 195/55x16 Runflat?