advice on cooper s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pamelab21
    hi all

the pest again, been back out today looking at Minis and have come across a Mini Cooper S Black 2004 04 plate for 12995, in a Toyota dealership was also at a BMW/Mini dealer and they have a similar car, similar spec a 2003 03 plate in Pale Blue metallic (unsure of name) for the same price, but they are offering me £500 less for my trade in.
    My question is more with regards to the Cooper S. I was originally looking at the Cooper and then realised that for not much more money I could have the Cooper S. Its it really worth it, is it heavy on the petrol and do the above prices seem expensive? Any opinions for or against etc......all advice appreciated.

Once again thanks for reading

A Very Confused (hopefully soon to be) Mini Owner!!:I

euan
    Oh dear, this is going to get messy

The pale blue is likely to have been electric blue. I won't comment on the price as I'm no mini price expert, but what you will find in the main is:

The S will be thirstier, and a fair bit more in insurance. The car is much quicker in a straight line, but cornering is much the same (some argue the Cooper is better handling as it's lighter at the front - personally I never really noticed much difference).

I had both a Cooper and an S. I felt more at home in the S as I like having the extra punch the car has - I always felt the Cooper wasn't quite quick enough for me. I felt it was money well spent, and there are less of them about.

On those cars in particular, black is a bit of a nightmare to keep clean, electric blue hides dirt much better. The 03 plate car may not be the face lifted model and would be worth checking - you get a few extras like the trip computer in the newer cars and it was 03/04 it changed (My S was an Electric Blue 03 and had just missed on the facelift - was a bit gutted! What was the plate on the 03 car? Wonder if it was my old one!)

you should shop around its abuyers market out there dealers will want to unload 03s as the warranty is up cherrished has limits to the warranty .There are loads out there right now because of the new model .Look long & hard before you leap , Me i would go for a face lift car & an s .I bought an 06 cooper new had it 5 months and ordered a new s for more power , so choose with the head not the heart

Resident old yin.
    Pamela,

Good on you for getting straight back out there.

Prices are highly dependent on spec and probably mileage, I'm sure other can comment. The car from the Toyota dealer sounds like a MUCH better deal given that it is a year newer and after trade in £500 cheaper. What warranty does it come with compared with the MINI dealer one?

The S is a blast to drive. I haven't owned one but I think you would average about 28mpg whereras a Cooper would be about 35mpg. Insurance costs could be quite a bit more depending on your age etc.

If you are not desperate for the additional performance of the S, I would probably look for a newer Cooper for the same money.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Some points which may be of use...

MPG on Cooper - I got around 35mpg most of the time. I do quite a bit of townish/local driving, so that would be more if you are a motorway muncher.

MPG on Cooper S - bank on less than 30mpg, albeit this depends on your right foot. On some spirited runs, people have got less than 18mpg , however on the motorway and driving less than 70 some have got 36mpg.

Insurance - add half again from a cooper ins quote (ie £400 Cooper/ £600 Cooper) This is only my experience and just a guide..

whichever you buy will be great to drive, just depends how much power to really want...

pamelab21
    thanks for all quick replies.

Ken, the 04 plate has BMW/Mini warranty until May 2007, then the garage has said they will add another 6mnth warranty onto that so I guess until Nov. The Mini dealership, although its an 03, would be offering a 'cherished' Mini so they are giving 12mnths. But the car is still a year older.
    Re insurance, I have been online and the S would be an extra £141.00 per year for me compared to the Cooper, I'm 26 with 5 yars no claims.

Euan unsure of the plate on the blue car but it did have a scrape on the back bumper if that helps?

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I would go for a facelift model is your budget can stretch to it... (wish you had been looking a couple of months ago, you could have had my 05 plate cooper for £12k...)

face lift models are easily recognised by the rear lights include reversing lights and the fog lamp is in the middle of the rear bumper...( instead of the reversing light with pre-face lift cars..)

pamelab21
    cheers for the tip on the face lift models. I will check that out tomorrow. Have arranged to test drive the Cooper S at Toyota garage after work and will go from there.
    mpg doesn't seem too bad then, I like a car to shift but I don't hammer them all the time. Insurance not as bad as I thought either.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Pamela
    What do you drive at the moment?

The Dogfather
    If you can afford it, go for the S.....

The power will put a smile on your face everytime you put you foot down.