racing focus Rs's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    T100L
    has anybody had a tussle we them? is there any mods to add on my gp to give them a bit of shake up

yes lead in your shoes

james f
    i hope you mean on private roads but when topgear tested the RS had a massive advangte on a cooper S works on track due to the power out put and its clever front differntial however when they tested it was befoure the cooper S gained LSD (standard spec on the GP) so i would imgaine it would be closer now and on the road the cooper S is said to be better but i would reccomend the following: GTT manifold, stoptech BBK as the jcw barkes aint that good, and a AlTA or GTT induction kit as the jcw airbox still has a poo paper element in and ditch the runflats for some decent rubber

its amzing what a mini can do i drove my mates GTT 265 on track and over took a 911 GT3 and a few westies as well

T100L
    quote:Originally posted by james f

i hope you mean on private roads but when topgear tested the RS had a massive advangte on a cooper S works on track due to the power out put and its clever front differntial however when they tested it was befoure the cooper S gained LSD (standard spec on the GP) so i would imgaine it would be closer now and on the road the cooper S is said to be better but i would reccomend the following: GTT manifold, stoptech BBK as the jcw barkes aint that good, and a AlTA or GTT induction kit as the jcw airbox still has a poo paper element in and ditch the runflats for some decent rubber

its amzing what a mini can do i drove my mates GTT 265 on track and over took a 911 GT3 and a few westies as well
    thats what i like to hear, better start saving for the bits, looks like the mini was a excellent choice will no doubt be asking you guys for names & numbers of tuning companies & parts peeps..id never think of racing on the highway:disapprove:

james f
    for the cooper S and form experince and recommendations form a good number of mates GTT is the best bet for cooper S power to date (as far as us forum folk know) not one of their conversions has gone wrong lohen are also very good and i use them all the time for my cooper

http://www.gtt.uk.com/home.asp

www.lohen.co.uk

The Dogfather
    I would say that when you're only talking fractions of a second between cars the difference comes mainly from the driver. If you have a driver who doesn't care about his own safety (or others if it's on a public road) will be quicker.

I've done a near standing start 10-70 on a dual carriageway against a new shape R32 (better traction than my car) he didn't get anymore than 3-4m in front, soon as we hit 70 I backed off, he carried on to god knows what speed. My Brabus does the 0-62 in 6.9 an R32 does it in 6.5.

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    There was a focus RS on the last Cullen run and I was driving Nenahs BBR 's', there was no competition so unless your in a straight line shoot out its down to the size of your knackers!!

I have also owned a GP and its even quicker than the BBR so go get em!!

Gorbash12346
    only thing is that it's extremely cheap to get the frs up to good power levels.. a decat induction kit and a bluefin remap with the decat file generally hits 275bhp total cost about £1000

then add a primary designs manifold and a gt28 turbo with an adjusted bluefin file different downpipe from the likes of piper with some denso iridium plugs thats 360bhp and the bottom end still isn't strained lol total cost £2500ish so long as you have a good condition exchange turbo

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    “LCW Brakes ain't that good” Really James? I've had my 'S' in both its 175 and 210+bhp incarnations on many 'interesting' roads at 'interesting' speeds with the JCW setup - no probs. Not racing anybody mind...

T100L - If you think you need more power than your 218bhp GP has (with its handling etc) to see off anything, you're taking BIG risks on the road. Road racing's usually decided by who's willing to take the most stupid risks, not necessarily how good you or your car is. A prat with an Astra can be as 'quick' in certain conditions as a good driver in a MINI - if he's prepared to risk his (and everybody else's) life to overtake other traffic etc - as Vidal said. It's a no-brainer. I like to drive quickly, but on my own terms. In the past I've done my fair share of 'racing' on the road in (old) Minis, Novas, 106's etc, but, because of the machinery I had then, at lower speeds than our cars are capable of (apart from my tuned 106GTI), and when the roads were less congested/lumpy than they are now. I've also been bloody lucky a few times. Live and learn. If you want to REALLY enjoy your GP, take it North, up the West Coast roads this Summer!

Gorbash - 360bhp is just b*ll*cks for a road MINI. Anything's possible, obviously, but above 250 is just a recipe for an unbalanced monster on our crappy roads. Playmini's Demo car is TOTALLY sorted in every way and they're putting out 265bhp. If you need 360bhp, buy a 2nd hand Scooby or an Evo and at least you'll get the power down. I know I'm an old fart, but all this huge power “Bench Racing” nonsense is just that. “All mouth and trousers” as they say. You try putting 300+bhp down on a greasy, bumpy, twisty road through FWD and '205' size tyres on a MINI and see how far and how fast you go!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

The Dogfather
    Elfman, I think he was talking about a Focus with 360bhp