Always Check Your Wheels!!

CooperTrooper
    Got new brakes, pads and discs about two weeks ago.

Used a garage close to work, guy is ok and seem reputable.

yesterday, knocking noise from left front wheel - need to get it into BMW says me. Before I go, i checked the wheels nuts - 3 loosened by hand!!! only 1 was tight! :disapprove::mad:

soooo glad i checked them and didnt carry on regardless.

Note : Always retorque wheels!!!

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Shielz had this happen to her last year. Got all the way from Aberdeen to just outside Oxford before it was noticed. Her MINI was in at an independent tyre retailer the day before the Oxford trip and they had only tightened one of the wheels by hand!!! And their paperwork was signed off as having been checked by another employee.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    A bit late now, but, you should always check your wheel nuts are tight after around 50 miles, or sooner if it's making a noise after your wheel has been off for any reason

Resident old yin.
    I would be on the phone to that cowboy's garage!

Garages should always have a second member of staff double-check that nuts are tight.

CooperTrooper
    I went back and complained, the guy who is ok and usually good tried to flannel me with problems when alloys meet hubs :sleepy: im sure. He also mentioned the invoice stating the retighten after 50 miles quote, and that its not only a get out but good advice. Ive done nearly 60k on these wheels and god knows how many sets of tyres and never had this, or on any other car. Looks like Ill need to find a new garage!

Its true all the wheel importers I deal with recommend u recheck and torque ur wheels up after 100 mile or so
    to make sure everything is as it should be no matter what make of wheel or car u have.

Andy
    2011 Mini CooperS COUNTRYMAN with CHILLI PACK in ROYAL GREY , 1998 Mini COOPERSPORT in BRITISH RACING GREEN

That is if the wheel as been taken off the car or just out there boxes and being fitted to the car
    2011 Mini CooperS COUNTRYMAN with CHILLI PACK in ROYAL GREY , 1998 Mini COOPERSPORT in BRITISH RACING GREEN

broken_brian
    The last time i got tyres fitted the guy fitting them handed the torque wrench to me and asked me to make sure that the wheel nuts were no tight enough

Gorbash12346
    if the wheels have been toqued to the correct spec (110 nm) then the chances of thenm coming loose is near impossible unless they don't check that the wheel is sitting flat against the disc and not jammed against the wheel centering spigot

personally if they don't double check your wheels with a torque wrench i'd be going elsewhere imo

Coop
    quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

The last time i got tyres fitted the guy fitting them handed the torque wrench to me and asked me to make sure that the wheel nuts were no tight enough
    Different.................but you canna argue!