lowering

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gorbash12346
    lightened flywheel would be quote good on your car elfman would make it pick up much quicker and as it has plenty of torque there shouldn't be too much of a trade-off when pulling away or climbing hills on the cooper s it's a bit more involved than a cooper or one but the general parts removed are the same... loads tis... whats your chassis number and i'll get the particulars for you

disconnect battery
    remove intake filter housing
    drain gear oil
    remove front left wheel arch trim
    remove bothe driven shafts with steering stub carriers
    remove trottle assembly
    remove suction pressure sensor
    remove impact tubes
    remove front subframe
    secure engine in installation position using special tool
    remove top engine support bracket
    remove bottem engine support bracket
    remove manifold heatshield
    remove shift cables
    remove clutch slave cylinder
    remove supercharger inlet pipe
    remove starter motor
    release trans. mount (upper right hand engine mount)
    lower engine zapprox 135mm release trans bolts and remove trans.
    then it's just case of removing the clutch (if your repalcing the fywheel it's probs a good idea to change the clutch too then lock up the crank and unbolt the flywheel (it'll be loctited on and i'm pretty sure we replace the flywheel bolts as a matter of course..

then rebuild in reverse order and refill with gear oil

quite a big job but imo i think it'd be worth it

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Thanks for that Gorbash and J & A. It's the kind of thing that would've been good to do when the JCW conversion was being done, as bits would have been off for that - BUT - as I don't think JCW/BMW do a light flywheel, the Dealer wouldn't have fitted it... (I've been told by them in the past that they won't fit non-BMW bits). Anyway, I reckon I'll stick with things as they are for a while - car's managing to rev very well and wheelspins in third on these greasy roads with the TC off - so even quicker revs would be OTT for me. Food for thought though. If only it was as easy as GT4 on a PS2!!!!!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

james f
    hehe i wish it was as easy as modding my cooper s on forza that eats ferraris and porkers jcw (as in the old jcw garge and works home that bmw have now bought)did a fly wheel as part of thier motorsport range and if you had them fit your works pack they would add stuff like that on reqest but bmw will never allow non approved parts (gits)