The Mini "Pit Crew" get new toys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

what make is your jack. Don't buy anything more until we have emptied our garage.

Craig I know you don't need a woman telling you about tools and stuff but watch that impact gun on your alloys to easy to damage them:(
    now you tell me....:evil::evil:

Yeah, I will be taking it REAL easy the first time I use it, also going to turn down the pressure on the compressor to regulate the speed of the gun. Really impressed with the kit. The jack will even do Jude's motor. :approve::approve:

Oh and next door neighbour is VERY happy with his purchase...

quote:Originally posted by Craig & Jude

what make is your jack. Don't buy anything more until we have emptied our garage.

Craig I know you don't need a woman telling you about tools and stuff but watch that impact gun on your alloys to easy to damage them:(

Yeah, I will be taking it REAL easy the first time I use it, also going to turn down the pressure on the compressor to regulate the speed of the gun. Really impressed with the kit. The jack will even do Jude's motor. :approve::approve:

great stuff glad it travelled all ok
    Cooper Coupe...

Car

great stuff glad it travelled all ok
    Oh, the jack is made by Clarke - so is the impact wrench..

vintageb3
    Craig...

Not telling you how to suck an egg here....but you get your lips....and....

I have an impact wrench/gun...I would never put it near my alloys. I would recommend that you don't torque the wheel studs with the gun anyway...always finish by hand.

I have two trolley jacks...and won't put them near the mini either

I read a thread on MINI2 about horror stories using a trolley jacks on non R56 MINI's.

The jacking point is only designed to be used with the supplied jack. It seems there is a peg or pin that holds the plastic jacking point in place and the car jack pushes that peg in whist lifting. If you use a trolley jack...the mounting point can shear the pin and the car can slide off the jack.

I have read that guys using trolley jacks have made an hardwood insert for there mounting point...but by the time you muck about with that....you could have the supplied jack out and the car in the air.

Always make sure the trolley jack wheels are able to roll as you lift...

Hope this helps!

mark

quote:Originally posted by vintageb3

Craig...

Not telling you how to suck an egg here....but you get your lips....and....

I have an impact wrench/gun...I would never put it near my alloys. I would recommend that you don't torque the wheel studs with the gun anyway...always finish by hand.

I have two trolley jacks...and won't put them near the mini either

I read a thread on MINI2 about horror stories using a trolley jacks on non R56 MINI's.

The jacking point is only designed to be used with the supplied jack. It seems there is a peg or pin that holds the plastic jacking point in place and the car jack pushes that peg in whist lifting. If you use a trolley jack...the mounting point can shear the pin and the car can slide off the jack.

I have read that guys using trolley jacks have made an hardwood insert for there mounting point...but by the time you muck about with that....you could have the supplied jack out and the car in the air.

Always make sure the trolley jack wheels are able to roll as you lift...

Hope this helps!

mark

that is of course if you use the jacking points you mention.

However if like us you jack the car up at the same point as what they do in the dealers. I don't know the name of the location but Allan would you know the bits where the dealers swing out the four arms to jack the car up.

Unless of course you are saying that the dealers now only use the jack supplied to take the wheels of the R56.

We have a Sealey Low entry level jack capable of jacking up over 3ton had to buy it for when we had the zeemax to get in below the body kit cost a bl00dy fortune
    Cooper Coupe...

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I gave up on the trolley jack :disapprove: just couldn't get a decent lift point that lifted straight up, i always used the mini jack and then placed axle stands at decent points, helps if you have a spare mini jack

BJN

james f
    ive seen trolley jacks used on the mini properly lohen did on mine and do on their cars i cant remeber where the points they use are

but if i jack i use other bits of the car and not the jack points (i wont post what bits i use incase im worng so its only my car i damage) but there are points on the mini thats safe for trolley jacks mark is right when he says DO NOT USE THE PLASTIC BITS as they snap of dam easily

Car
    quote:Originally posted by crombers

oh YESSSSSSS, just trying to decide what rubber to put on them... have narrowed it down to Avon ZZ3 or Toyo Proxes (T1R) :approve::approve:

gave them a wash last night (when Scottiecoop arrived!) just need to give them a polish and a few coats of wax before I package them away...
    Did you emmmmmm errrrrrr manage to look out the other set of alloys that are in said vicinity , just joshin mate LOL.
    Will need to pop up of a day in the near furture to give 'said' wheels a right good going over.
    nope, they are still covered up where you left them... you need to get them sorted...

Car
    Always used the plastic jacking points and Never had a problem. and I've changed over at least 10 sets of alloys over the years at various times of the year..

Either I'm lucky, or I know how to use the equipment... ?

as for the mini jack, it looks VERY flimsy to me and I would rather trust a trolley jack...