Steering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I had Yoko Parada's all round, but it was time to change the fronts, and I wanted more grip in the wet.

So I fitted Toyo Proxes on the front, the Parada's on the back have 6mm tread. Since the Toyo's were fitted, to go straight I have to steer to the left slightly.

I checked pressures, wheelnuts etc, and got the suspension alignment checked, everything is perfect.

It must therefore be down to the tyres in some way. Has anyone else had experience of this?

P.S. The tyres are directional - they are mounted correctly, and because they are directional I can't swap them side to side.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Are you on standard wheel size, ie 17" :question: or do you have aftermarket wheels on :question:

18" JCW R95. I just don't understand why the suspension is perfectly aligned, but the tyres have put it out :question:

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

simple your alignment is out or rather when they done the job they did not have your steering wheel at centre hence when they tweaked your alignment you steering wheel went off centre.. The same thing happen to us only a couple weeks back in my other car had to go back and they re done the alignment making sure steering wheel was to centre.
    Cooper Coupe...

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I had 18" Parada's for my old S, they were pants in the wet and tramlined like a mad thing :evil:
    Any chance you can try another set of wheels and tyres

Car
    2004 works s
    i've just fitted toyo proxes to mine in 17''cant say noticing this problem grip like hell in the wet

I'm 100% sure the alignment is fine, it wasn't changed, just checked. I centred the steering myself to be sure.

I swapped the Toyo's with the Yoko Parada's, so the Yoko's were then on the front. The steering went squint the other way...

So, in summary. The suspension alignment was checked, it's fine. With Toyo's on the front and Yoko's on the rear, the steering wheel points left slightly. And vice-versa, with the Yoko's on the front, the steering wheel points right.

Now I really am lost!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Hmm, maybe, just maybe, the rear wheels sit with a wee camber, could be that the tyre wear with the tyres on the rear have worn a wee tad
    Just guessing here, i would suggest you either change back to what it was, or, try different wheels and tyres, or, renew the front tyres

There is a bit of negative camber on the rear, just on the tolerance of the alignment. So the Yoko's are probably slightly worn on the inside. I've put the (new) Toyo's back on the front, so back to steering to the left slightly!

Don't really want to have to buy 2 new tyres when the Toyo's are brand new, but I want my steering wheel straight!

Might get a KDS done, don't really fancy paying the money for it though

Gorbash12346
    if the wheel is off to the left then the alignment is definately out could've been caused by potholes or heavy kerbage kds is a lot of money i know but you need to get the alignment doen somewhere... maybe get it done somewhere else that does laser tracking