PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Wipers

GAJ
10th January 2004, 12:12 AM
I just replaced the drivers side wiper blade and noticed that the replacement doesn't have the spoiler that the original had. I remember you mentioned this 3GGG.

Has anyone had any problems with fitting replacements without the spoiler; do they lift at speed? Why doesn't the passenger side blade have a spoiler? I bought a Bosch blade and now wish I had bought a replacement from the dealer cos I'm worried about not having the spoiler!:(

macblob
10th January 2004, 12:34 AM
I got my replacement front wipers from bmw, complete with spoiler. Dont think it will make to much odds Gaj, and the passenger one prolly doesnt have one cause it doesnt matter as much if the passenger canny see

3GGG
10th January 2004, 01:59 AM
I got mine from Halfrauds and I bought the types with aerofoils for both passenger and driver side. (Always thought it looked cheap having only one with the aerofoil).
I read that the passenger one doesn't need one because it doesn't go near the edge of the screen when upright.

BTW I just spent all afternoon cleaning tar off the windscreen ,mirrors, front bumper, number plate and wheels after driving past the road works on the A92 near Lochgelly where they are spraying tar everywhere. :mad:

White spirit was needed to get the tar off and then I had to rewax of course.

zimbo
12th January 2004, 12:11 AM
Recently replaced both drivers and passengers wiper blades from BMW, £9... for the drivers alone(with aerofoil) bout £7-8 for the passenger side.:eek:

Monsta Mo Mini
12th January 2004, 04:35 AM
GAJ - I replaced both of mine with BOSCH blades from Halfords and haven't had any problems. Perhaps a little additional wind noise when used at speed.

GAJ
12th January 2004, 05:13 AM
I think I will replace the passenger side one too as the new one seems to be clearing better than the old passenger side one is. I was feeling tight and only replaced the torn one.

broken_brian
12th January 2004, 11:25 PM
replace wiper blades you dont wanna do that i am still on the set that were on the car when i got it and that was five years ago heh heh :D

ELFMAN
13th January 2004, 11:23 PM
Yeah, Brian, that's why you think it's always foggy

When I replaced the old wipers on G3 ELF (with BMW ones) I pulled the aero blade thingy off the old drivers wiper, and put it on the new passenger side one.

All the BMW blades have two tiny metal grommets (you know, wee plasticine dog) corresponding to the fixing pegs on the aerofoil which you can push out with someting sharp and simply fit the 'foil. So if you change your wipers, recycle the old aerofoil for the passenger side.

Bet everybody knew that.. sorry... Hmmph.
I'll get me coat.

GAJ
13th January 2004, 11:36 PM
I couldn't get the aerofoil off of mine. And I've got the strength of ten men!

duncan
14th January 2004, 12:32 AM
Yeah, i tried that too, only I broke one of the legs off it. Doh

ELFMAN
14th January 2004, 04:42 AM
It must be ma sensitive artistik honz whit dun it.... All wipers bow before me!!!

Sorry, nurse, yes, the pills...yes I took them all, honest.

lightbody
15th January 2004, 04:41 AM
I bought replacement wipers from my MINI dealer and the drivers one had the spoiler on it.

I would have thought that having two wiper blades on with spoilers attached would unnecessarily increase the drag on the blades when the car is at speed, and might cause problems in the long term with the motor/mechanism. (fond memories of Classic Mini wipers which would only operate when the windscreen was wet enough... and would lift off the screen at speed....)