PDA

View Full Version : R53 Vs R56 SAY “NO!” to MINI APARTHEID!

ELFMAN
30th November 2006, 06:07 PM
Having read Lynsey's Post and Craig's concerns, I felt a word was needed. Let's keep this all in perspective folks! I was/am pretty sceptical about the new model, and I'll debate the pro's and cons all day (eh Fiona?), but as I've made clear, I'd STILL have the new model over anything else on the market at the price (that rules out things like 911GT3's etc!). OK, so I prefer the old shape and I can't be @rsed with things like “Mood Lighting” and pointless toys in a car. I buy it A. to DRIVE it, and B to LOOK at it - both really important to me.

I've banged on at length (Oooooh Matron) about this, but there's NO WAY I'd want it to come between myself and any NMS member who's prefers and has bought the R56. There are plusses and minusses for BOTH cars, and different folks appreciate different things about their cars. I prefer a more overtly “sporty”, no-frills feel (original tuned Mini anyone?), but some folks like a bit more comfort and some toys to play with - so be it! So I'm totally with Craig on this one. I don't care whether you drive a stripped-out 2001 COOPER, or a brand new fully-loaded R56 on 20's - for me, NMS is as much about the PEOPLE as it is about the cars, so SAY NO TO MINI APARTHEID - LET'S KNOCK IT ON THE HEAD NOW!!!!

The Dogfather
30th November 2006, 06:15 PM
I'm sorry but R53s will have to be carried at the back of the car transporter. Forward spaces are reserved for R56's.

AndyP & Lenore
30th November 2006, 06:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN

.......SAY NO TO MINI APARTHEID - LET'S KNOCK IT ON THE HEAD NOW!!!!

Here, here!

Burple
30th November 2006, 06:54 PM
Well sais young (;)) man...

I won't be buying one any time soon (if at all) unless there are some radical changes (i.e - they morph it back to look like my current r53 :D:D) but there's certainly no need for the "I've got the newest most expensive one" or "I've got a 'proper' New Mini, the original and best" arguments or snobbery.

We're all here to have fun with what we have, everyone has a right to their own opinion, but there's no need to shout about it just to cause an argument.

Right, on with the banter! :p

ELFMAN
30th November 2006, 06:58 PM
Vidal... You're possibly missing the point of this thread mate, all the jokes are on the other ones. Also I prefer to DRIVE my car, not TRANSPORT it!

By the way, what's with the 'Brabus' sig??? That'll be nothing at all to do with MINIS then?

The Dogfather
30th November 2006, 07:04 PM
No Elfman I haven't missed the point.

I've commented in the past that a MINI is a MINI regardless of version, my reference was to Rosa Parkes.

Perhaps you could explain what point your making with the Brabus comment.

Burple
30th November 2006, 07:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

I've commented in the past that a MINI is a MINI regardless of version, my reference was to Rosa Parkes.

Er.. aye.. ok.. except Apartheid was in South Africa, and Rosa Parks was American.. ;):D

I'm not even going to go near Mini2 to explore and see what the general outlook is, I'll only end up getting annoyed and it'll put me in a bad mood for a dull meeting at 11! ;):D:D:p

ianking
30th November 2006, 07:14 PM
I think Elf is saying ita mini forum for mini's of all types and their respective owners and for everyone to have banter and enjoy.

Gismo
30th November 2006, 07:34 PM
I've not really seen anyone saying "mine is better than yours" or similar.
Up until now i'm pretty sure all the comments have been given and received in the manner they were meant.
Not to pick on anyone's words, but, we are all entitled to our opinion and as such they have been made as intended.
So, before the PC police get too involved ;) i can't see there being any animosity between the R53 and R56 owner's at all apart from the usual banter, which is all i've seen so far :) and which is also fair game :p

Personally i didn't take Lynsey's remarks or Craigs reply to mean anything other than what they each said and i certainly can't see it reaching the heights of Apartheid :p

Craig
30th November 2006, 07:35 PM
Well said "Mr Werthers" :approve::approve:

that's pretty much what I was trying to say last night (with a couple of cans inside me ;))

we all love MINI's regardless of age or spec and the banter/friendship is worth more than money.. :D:D

The Dogfather
30th November 2006, 08:15 PM
LnL - Yes, I know Apartheid was South Africa but the segregation as practiced in America was based on similar idealogy (spelling?).

My point, was that a comparison to Apartheid was a bit strong.

ELFMAN
30th November 2006, 08:51 PM
Bonnie Scotland: You know, I just post these “High Horse” rants so that you can knock me off! And you love it. You're right, 'Apartheid' WAS taking it to extremes to make a point about possible 'division'. Sledgehammer to crack a wallnut etc. I was probably feeling a bit guilty having moaned about the new car, and felt, on reflection, I'd like to try to be a bit more positive about the whole thing. Not meant to instigate a “PC Police Ban” on debate/Banter, far from it, but if someone's openly telling you your new car is basically sh*te, you MIGHT get miffed. I was trying to keep it in perspective. Maybe I'm just paranoid....

Sorry Vidal, I missed your Rosa Parks reference, too early in the morning for lateral thinking obviously. Correct sentiment, wrong continent! My reference to you 'missing the point' was that as soon as I posted the thread trying to maybe lessen the 'differences' and emphasise the positives, there appeared, as if by magic, what I took to be another 'negative' comment. So top marks for being too quick for me. My brain hasn't been upgraded to 'Works' spec yet. The 'Brabus' comment? Well it's a MINI Forum, so why the Mercedes-oriented Logo etc? Seems a bit incongruous. Not that I'm saying Mercs shouldn't be allowed to fill up at the same petrol stations as MINIS, mind. Yours Sincerely, MINI Luther King.

ELFMAN
30th November 2006, 09:04 PM
Vidal Re. Apartheid - see above to Bonnie S. I didn't take Apartheid lightly, having campaigned against it in the 80's. I must have printed 1,000's and 1,000's of 'Anti Apartheid' leaflets, stickers etc. when it was OK to be 'Left Wing' in Britain. So it wasn't my intention to demean the struggle. Right. Anyway, I was meant to be the PC Police...Is there anything else I can explain or retract before I go? Nope? Bye.

sh@z
30th November 2006, 09:14 PM
I'LL TAKE THE LOT OF YOOOOZ!! :blackeye::p

So top marks for being too quick for me.

VB knows what you are typing and has a reply prepared before you have typed it. He is master troll of NMS. :p

(cmon guys, chill oot eh)

GP 1536
30th November 2006, 09:46 PM
OK,being new to Mini's and trying not to be dumb here.But what the f*ck is an R53 and what is an R56 ?

euan
30th November 2006, 10:16 PM
An R53 is the previous version (ie, original BMW MINI) and the R56 is the just released version ;)

ELFMAN
30th November 2006, 10:28 PM
You've got to know your R's!!! I keep making one of myself on these Forums! Well, somebody has to.....

indigomatt
30th November 2006, 10:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

An R53 is the previous version (ie, original BMW MINI) and the R56 is the just released version ;)

So what happen'd to R54 & R55 :D ~ I take it one's the facelift or is that R53a... :p

ELFMAN
30th November 2006, 10:34 PM
“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR... 56! Jim Lad!”
(Excerpt from 'Drive your new MINI Like a Pirate Day').

The Dogfather
30th November 2006, 10:55 PM
Elfman - Just ignore me I'm only here to cause trouble :p

I'd join a Brabus Forfour Forum but there would only be 2 people using it :D

GP 1536
30th November 2006, 11:02 PM
I see.It the prototype name for them then.I just like to call them the 'new wan' and tge 'auld wan'

Scottie
30th November 2006, 11:12 PM
I'm not bothered one little bit about what folks thoughts are on the R56 I don't care if they slag me for having one and I am certainly not bothered if people post on the forum saying they think it is crap.

Everyone well most people on this forum who have a "MINI" tart it up a bit to look how they want.:p Not everyone thinks what they have done is cool some say nope don't like it (craig);) others say I love it.

To me the R53 v R56 is just the same some folk like some folk hate don't see any harm then saying this on a Mini forum.:D

euan
30th November 2006, 11:42 PM
Agree with you Fi, life would be boring if we all liked and bought the same car. Oh hang on...

N12 JLK
30th November 2006, 11:55 PM
Didnt read that much into Lindsays post there we are all hear for our own opinions:p , but we should ALL stick together and not turn out to be a a bunch of BINI haters ( and I know a few). Change will always happen and it will change again in a few years and yes I will probably get one ( he says a Lesley slaps him).
Everyone dig out your old copy of the Farms 'all together now'
SMILE:D:D

Scottie
1st December 2006, 12:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by N12 JLK

Didnt read that much into Lindsays post there we are all hear for our own opinions:p , but we should ALL stick together and not turn out to be a a bunch of BINI haters ( and I know a few). Change will always happen and it will change again in a few years and yes I will probably get one ( he says a Lesley slaps him).
Everyone dig out your old copy of the Farms 'all together now'
SMILE:D:D

I thought the mini was Lesley's and not yours Jason.??????;)

N12 JLK
1st December 2006, 12:06 AM
Your gettin a slap and a greasy hand on you bonnet when i see you:blackeye::blackeye::)
Whats her's is mine and whats mine is MINE.

Craig
1st December 2006, 12:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I'm not bothered one little bit about what folks thoughts are on the R56 I don't care if they slag me for having one and I am certainly not bothered if people post on the forum saying they think it is crap.

Everyone well most people on this forum who have a "MINI" tart it up a bit to look how they want.:p Not everyone thinks what they have done is cool some say nope don't like it (craig);) others say I love it.

To me the R53 v R56 is just the same some folk like some folk hate don't see any harm then saying this on a Mini forum.:D

yeah fi, hear you. I always say it to your face tho' and not put it down in a open forum for all to read.. ;)

Scottie
1st December 2006, 01:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

yeah fi, hear you. I always say it to your face tho' and not put it down in a open forum for all to read.. ;)

:kiss:

ELFMAN
1st December 2006, 01:35 AM
I remember saying it to Fiona's face in a rainy car park.... and she said it right back to my face. We're going to start a band - now what could we call it? Nah, Rod Stewart's done that one.

I reckon I'll be in “Status Quo” and Fi will be in “New Order” - but we're all on Top of The Pops! (I don't know who writes this stuff....)

ELFMAN
1st December 2006, 01:38 AM
Vidal, you carry on man. Surely they'll have to change the name to the 'Brabus Forlessthanfour'.

N12 JLK
1st December 2006, 03:59 AM

Vidal, you carry on man. Surely they'll have to change the name to the 'Brabus Forlessthanfour'.

:D

duncan
1st December 2006, 04:27 AM

Err, no. The R53 is the Cooper S.
The R50 is the One and the Cooper and the R52 the Convertable.

euan
1st December 2006, 05:07 AM
I stand corrected!

Man, we are geeky sometimes :)

Crombers
1st December 2006, 05:32 AM

Yup quite right Fi.

Jason car is a :I:clown: 'VOLVO'

duncan
1st December 2006, 08:10 AM

I stand corrected!

Man, we are geeky sometimes :)

I know, sad, eh :I:clown:;)

stoney
1st December 2006, 05:27 PM
u are all just daft as a brush :p

i Think mini is mini old new or new new theay are all mini !!!!!!

ELFMAN
1st December 2006, 08:20 PM
Brush? We've done Brush, we are now officially “As Mental As A Dyson”. Great Innit?

Mini Me
1st December 2006, 09:10 PM
I think both of the MINI's are superb, and i bet(funds acordingly) we would all have one of each:p

T6 KFR
1st December 2006, 09:44 PM
when i started reading this thread it was as if the R53 (some owners) had taken the look on life as did the "classic " mini owners when the R53 came out.

we all love cars, mini's more so...lets just all get along ...which we do most days:D

ELFMAN
2nd December 2006, 06:45 AM
“lets just all get along ” The purpose of this thread was precisely that, T6! Seems I made a mountain out of a molehill. Best intentions though. I'll get me coat.

N12 JLK
2nd December 2006, 06:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

Yup quite right Fi.

Jason car is a :I:clown: 'VOLVO'

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/lesley12/jack2.jpg
ARSE!

Scottie
2nd December 2006, 06:58 AM
some may read some threads on the new R56 and think we are arguing me I see the threads and think we are talking.

nothing wrong in that there is enough space for us all to discuss Mini's so what if some don't like this or that.

Big Deal for me Elfman carry on it's good banter.:cool:

Craig
2nd December 2006, 07:23 AM
aye, bring yer slow supercharged "S to the next meet Elfman... us new turbo owners will show you a clean pair of heels....:eek::p;):D:approve:

aye right - respect to the Elfman :approve::approve::approve:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd December 2006, 07:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by Craig & Jude

aye, bring yer slow supercharged "S to the next meet Elfman... us new turbo owners will show you a clean pair of heels....:eek::p;):D:approve:

;)

Craig, I have a big wooden stick. You'll need to supply the pot.

A.:D

Sheilz
2nd December 2006, 08:57 PM
So, ss my car an r50 or has it another tag coz its a facelift version?

ELFMAN
3rd December 2006, 05:44 AM
“us new turbo owners will show you a clean pair of
heels....” Aye Craig, from yer TRAINERS! you'll be RUNNING for your lives!!

Anyway, we'll ALL still be 'RUNNING IN' by the sounds of it, so I doubt there'll be any heroics on the 29th! Do I detect a wee bit of rivalry? That's the second Turdo, sorry Turbo, owner who's flinging down the gauntlet. There's an R56-type insecurity complex waiting to be explored... Surely we can't condone behaviour which would lead to illegal Street Racing?* I'll be looking for backup from you GP guys. Like 'West Side Story'... on wheels.

* It's a JOKE.

Craig
3rd December 2006, 05:54 AM

“us new turbo owners will show you a clean pair of
heels....” Aye Craig, from yer TRAINERS! you'll be RUNNING for your lives!!

Anyway, we'll ALL still be 'RUNNING IN' by the sounds of it, so I doubt there'll be any heroics on the 29th! Do I detect a wee bit of rivalry? That's the second Turdo, sorry Turbo, owner who's flinging down the gauntlet. There's an R56-type insecurity complex waiting to be explored... Surely we can't condone behaviour which would lead to illegal Street Racing?* I'll be looking for backup from you GP guys. Like 'West Side Story'... on wheels.

* It's a JOKE.

you do know what I look like and how much I weight, those trainers would have to be jet propelled..;):D

no insecurity complex here........... <group hug> :approve::approve::approve::approve:

Scottie
3rd December 2006, 06:00 AM
I thought all guys had a insecurity complex;):D:D:D

duncan
3rd December 2006, 06:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

So, ss my car an r50 or has it another tag coz its a facelift version?

If its a One or Cooper, pre or Post facelift, its an R50

ELFMAN
4th December 2006, 05:16 PM
Craig, I bet you could still shift.... fear's a great motivator! Anyway, I'll be too tired to race after having helped Santa the week before. (With the name comes certain responsibilities). If only the boot was bigger, or Santa could afford GP's.

Fiona - Re. insecurity complex - it's a cross we all have to bear. Still, at least we're not driving Z4 Coupes,lovely motor - but that long bonnet....