PDA

View Full Version : Brake lights No Worky

sacbis
29th November 2006, 04:46 AM
My cooper has developed a strange problem with its brake lights
They only come on when i'm travelling forward and hit the brakes quite hard, and even at that they sort of flicker. Nothing happens at all if i just touch the brake pedal, when i'm parked or when travelling in reverse.
I've fiddled about with the switch on the pedal but to no avail.Could this need replacing?
Does anyone have any ideas? Can't really aford another garage visit this month as the wiper motor blew a few weeks ago as well!!
:disapprove:

bigcoyote
29th November 2006, 05:45 AM
I would try and bypass the switch on the pedal and see if that is the problem -- if so, it should be a easy fix.

Could be the BC-1 circuit board near the tail lights also -- but when that goes bad it normally turns the tail lights ON all the time -- not off.

Good luck:D

sacbis
29th November 2006, 06:16 AM
Thanks for replyin :)

How do i bypass the switch? Just take the wiring out of it?

Cheers

bigcoyote
29th November 2006, 08:25 AM
You got it! -- there should be a plug going into the switch - unplug it .
I don't know how many wires are in the plug?? at least 2 maybe more??

If you have three wires look in the plug and you should see 3 holes / metal tips?? Use a paper clip or some other non-safe metal piece - and try touching wire 1 to wire 2, then wire 1 to wire 3, etc.... try all the combos with each wire -- IF the switch is bad then when you get the right combo your brake lights will light up :D
If after trying all the combos your brake lights still don't light up - then you may have a more serious problem :dead:

According to my bentley manual you pull the top edge of the lower dash trim to unclip it - then swing it down.
Working above the pedal cluster , detach brake light switch elec. harness connector.
Pull the switch from the housing.
Install is reverse of removal - Insert switch as far as possible into housing to allow for self-adjustment.

Good luck:cool:

sacbis
29th November 2006, 07:48 PM
Cool!
I'll try this tonight and hopefully solve the problem.

Thank's for the help :D

sacbis
2nd December 2006, 03:28 AM
Well,
I changed the switch today and still nothing so it looks like i'll have to visit an auto electrician. :(
Anyone know a good one in the Lanarkshire area?
Any help would be appreciated!