PDA

View Full Version : Ban on MP3 transmitters lifted.

AndyP & Lenore
24th November 2006, 10:20 AM
For those who don't want to install an iPod/MP3 cable thingy, I guess this is good news.

clicky linky to BBC News web site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6177820.stm)

A.

Wul
24th November 2006, 04:24 PM
About time too! :)

<goes off to setup pirate radio station;)>

euan
24th November 2006, 04:48 PM
Anyone got any recomendations as to which is any good? Quite fancy one for my motorway trips (it'll be bugger all use in London!!!)

Burple
24th November 2006, 06:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

" All we hear is <clapclap> Radio bufty..."

:p:p:p:D:D:D:D

Mini Ecosse
24th November 2006, 08:33 PM
Xcellent news, was worried about rattles if dash had to be stripped/rebuilt to install connecting lead.

Big Col
25th November 2006, 12:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
" All we hear is <clapclap> Radio bufty..."

:p:p:p:D:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D

duncan
25th November 2006, 04:31 AM
It would have been OK if they had set aside a dedicated frequency for them.
I don't want to hear someone else's music in my car when stuck in traffic.

rockwellcm
25th November 2006, 08:06 AM

I know your reply is in jest,but in real terms,dont even think about it,Offcom will shut you down quicker than you can blink an eye,and with that goes all your equipment they deem that goes with your station,that could be all your PC equipment your car if they think your mobile(bye bye Mini),radio gear,playback equipment,and all your record/cd/mp3 collection,up to a 10 year jail term,and a £1000 fine (and a criminal record)

a nice example is ebay,someone from Edinburgh was flooding ebay with radio transmitters that broadcast on frequencys that were not licenceable in the UK last year,now there is none for sale,and the seller has been stopped by ebay,by closing his account,offcom took all his stock in a raid last year.

also stuff like cellphone jammers are still a no no,you will notice its just about impossible to get one in the UK (and its low power)
again like above (anyone caught selling,bye bye stock,hello fine)

The only reason that there has been a turnround from offcom is they are after more money form corprate companys,just wait till you need a licence for your WiFi stuff.

www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/wtact2006/

still thinking about it?

Donald
2M0XDS (Licenced Radio Ham)

AndyP & Lenore
25th November 2006, 10:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by rockwellcm

I know your reply is in jest,but in real terms,dont even think about it,Offcom will shut you down quicker than you can blink an eye,and with that goes all your equipment they deem that goes with your station,that could be all your PC equipment your car if they think your mobile(bye bye Mini),radio gear,playback equipment,and all your record/cd/mp3 collection,up to a 10 year jail term,and a £1000 fine (and a criminal record)

a nice example is ebay,someone from Edinburgh was flooding ebay with radio transmitters that broadcast on frequencys that were not licenceable in the UK last year,now there is none for sale,and the seller has been stopped by ebay,by closing his account,offcom took all his stock in a raid last year.

also stuff like cellphone jammers are still a no no,you will notice its just about impossible to get one in the UK (and its low power)
again like above (anyone caught selling,bye bye stock,hello fine)

The only reason that there has been a turnround from offcom is they are after more money form corprate companys,just wait till you need a licence for your WiFi stuff.

www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/wtact2006/

still thinking about it?

Donald
2M0XDS (Licenced Radio Ham)

Erm:I. pretty sure Wul's comment was said in jest.:clown:

A.:D

rockwellcm
25th November 2006, 11:07 PM
I am pretty sure your right,but i have spotted a few months ago a conversion on the net to turn one of those ipod transmitters into a broadcast station with around 1/4 of a mile range,its not all that hard to do,but if caught its a harsh lesson.

Donald