PDA

View Full Version : the Gap explained from the bonnet to wing

Scottie
23rd November 2006, 07:54 AM
The bonnet to wing is a deliberate misfit and helps to reduce wind noise.

I was asking around and this is what I was told so I'm only passing it on. :D I dare say some folk will say rubbish but it's what I was told.

KenL
23rd November 2006, 07:56 AM
that has got to be RUBBISH :I

Scottie
23rd November 2006, 08:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

that has got to be RUBBISH :I

I don't think so actually;) I think it's true but I may be easy taken in was also told the reason they have went for the start stop button (which alot of cars car starting to do) is for safety reasons
is to get rid of the big casting in the steering column, so it's not heading for the male drivers sensitive parts in a crash:eek:

euan
23rd November 2006, 05:28 PM
Well, I think that second point is a bit iffy. I mean, I know I'm substantail in that area but I've never once knocked it off my car keys ;)

Scottie
23rd November 2006, 05:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Well, I think that second point is a bit iffy. I mean, I know I'm substantail in that area but I've never once knocked it off my car keys ;)

:D:D

Gismo
23rd November 2006, 05:45 PM
I know I'm substantail in that areaSo, you have a very big casting on your steering column ;):p:D

X30YES
23rd November 2006, 06:31 PM
As Ive never had a problem that way (crashing that is ):p,I'll miss out the usual comments ...this time !!:D:D

Burple
23rd November 2006, 06:49 PM

Well, I think that second point is a bit iffy. I mean, I know I'm substantail in that area but I've never once knocked one off over my car keys ;)

:eek::eek: Dirty boy! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p

james f
23rd November 2006, 07:21 PM
good design should never have to be explained bad design is always noticed and exucses concoted personaly i think and if you think about its just total and utter bull as theres no way that would affect it they just came up with that to sound clever as the mini will always be noisy in the wind cos its a brick

Mon the fish
27th November 2006, 03:23 AM
I was told by someone from BMW Bracknell that there moving to starter buttons because data from a number of crashes showed that there was a lot of knee damage, due to contact with the key barrel.

Sweeney
27th November 2006, 04:14 AM
So rather than having a tight fit, they claim leaving a gap reduces wind noise? Hmm bit dubious on this one. Plus it wouldnt exactly be more aerodynamic, it'd only add drag and one of the key "improvements" of the r56 is meant to be reduced drag... Sales bs i think.

AndyP & Lenore
27th November 2006, 09:08 AM
Got to agree with most on this. That sounds like bollocks to me. How can creating a gap between trims reduce wind noise. more likely to create it.

A.:clown: