PDA

View Full Version : Peoples fav Mobile Phone

macblob
7th January 2004, 05:16 AM
I know this is geeky but what Mobiles do people like the most.

Going to get a new one in the next moth or so , looking at sony ericcson T610 or the new version of it out in feb , the T630 which looks kinda mac like :D:D

All opinions welcome

duncan
7th January 2004, 05:26 AM
I always go for a Nokia.

Got the 7250 myself, but some of my mates have the 3200, which is basically an updated phone, in a different cover. The cover itself is transparent and you can make your own inserts.
Also they got them free on an o2 contract.

The 6100 is pretty cool, no camera built in, but has bluetooth. Handy for wireless car kit.

Big Col
7th January 2004, 06:25 AM
I've got the T610 as does Wee Fossy's son I believe and I would recommend it to anyone as it's an excellent phone BUT the battery life is crap and the in car charger doesn't seem up to much. It's still an excellent phone though but the pics ain't as good as some other models.

Gismo
7th January 2004, 06:27 AM
I have the Nokia 6100 and i think it's brilliant, i also have a pentax digital camera for taking pictures ;)

Bonnie Scotland

macblob
7th January 2004, 06:39 AM
Im tempted by the T610 or T630 when its released cause of bluetooth interaction with my mac and ive found a nice wee application for uploading my entire phone book via bluetooth , also giving me a backup of all my numbers :D aswell as hundreds of ringtones and themes that I can dload.

Not arsed about whether the phone has a camera or not, ive got a digital camera for that

duncan
7th January 2004, 07:07 AM
You can save all your ringtones/pictures/contacts/text messages on the PC with Nokia PC Suite, a free download from the Nokia Website.
Theres also a MIDI file to ringtone conversion program, saves 3 quid a ringtone, when you can get a MIDI for free on the Net.
Its connectes to the phone by Cable - not included with phone, IRDA or bluetooth. I use the IR port.

One downside - It is 21Mb, Enough time for tea on dial up, or just put the kettle on with broadband :D

I was going to go for the 6100, but changed my mind, for the just out 7250. The Camera is really just a gimmick, but the slightly bigger keypad swung it.

BOB
7th January 2004, 07:10 AM
Ive got a Samsung C100. Its good. I havent had it long... I did have a Nokia 3310 heehee. That wasnt bad but its a bit old now!!!
But the samsung phones are supposed to be good. :)

macblob
7th January 2004, 07:41 AM
Satelite ill put money on the nokia software not being mac compatiable:disapprove:

Infact here is the proof lol.... Nokia are in league with the microsoft devil lol

Operating Systems
Please note: We provide support only for operating systems that have been preinstalled by an original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows 98 Second Edition

Windows Millennium Edition

Windows 2000 Workstation (Server version is not supported)

Please note: PC Suite 4.81 provides Windows XP support also for Nokia 8310 users. You can find it here at Nokia 6310 Software.

Burple
7th January 2004, 08:29 AM
HA ha ha...
Normally I would go woth Nokia... but this time I went for the Panasonic GD87.. the flippy one with the camera...
Don't do it!! The camera is ace... by far the best bit (as well as looking like a Trekkie geek every time you flip it open ;)), but the battery life is shiat... as is the predictive texting, the battery life, it's general ease of use, the battery life, the reception, and it cuts out sometimes while making a call (before it can dial)... did I mention the battery life was shiat??? ;)

I'm going back to the Microsoft devil's whore... erm.. I mean Nokia... next time! :evil::D:D:cool:

Willie M
7th January 2004, 04:58 PM
Afraid I've never had anything but Nokia mobiles and they've all been reliable, and trouble free. Current model is a 6310i, 2 years old now and a bit dated. It's got bluetooth and tri-band though, which is nice... Maybe I should look for a new jazzy one :p

Like Alan, I use a digi camera for taking my photies ;):D

Big Gordy
7th January 2004, 05:17 PM
You are one verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry sad bunch of dudes :eek: Its only a bloody phone for talking into...........:p:D:approve:

GAJ
7th January 2004, 05:35 PM
I've got a Sony Ericsson T68i, bit of an antique now but it's fine. Battery life is excellent plus it syncs with my Mac using iSync via bluetooth.
I also have a programme (Salling Clicker) which allows me to use the phone as a remote control (via bluetooth) to control several applications on my Mac, Cool wee gadget - you even get the track listings from iTunes on the screen of the phone!! Brian, I am pretty sure it works with newer Sony Ericsson phones too. When I bought the T68i it was the only phone fully supported by iSync which swayed my decision.
You dont really need any other software on OSX cos iSync will transfer contacts from your address book (or Entourage) and events from iCal (or Entourage) and Bluetooth file exchange can upload photos, themes and ringtones.
I've got a programme to convert ringtones from any format (MIDI, Nokia, etc) to the Sony Ericsson format (It's called Ringtone Converter, it does what it says on the tin!) and then you can upload them to the phone via Bluetooth file exchange.
BFE and iSync are included in a basic installation of OSX. If you don't have bluetooth built in you can buy wee USB bluetooth dongles for about £20. Go Sony Ericsson!

macblob
7th January 2004, 05:39 PM
Cheers Gaj , I purchased a wee bluetooth dongle on Monday night in preperation for new phone hehehehe. love buying things for my mac hehehehehe:D

Check out this shareware app Gaj, it looks pretty cool, ive put all my numbers in it already as my current phone doesnt have bluetooth or infra red to transfer them off the phone.

http://www.macmedia.sk/index.htm

App is called phone agent :D

KenL
7th January 2004, 05:49 PM
I've got a Nokia 6100 - great minds eh Bonnie Scotland ;)

Here's a pic with MINI wallpaper downloaded onto it:
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/picture20839.html
OK OK pretty sad I know :I

Nice and small. Got it for free along with a camera attachment for it on a £20/month contract.

euan
7th January 2004, 06:27 PM
I was always a Nokia person but then bought a T68i and never looked back. I've had my T610 for a few months now, and nearly everybody in my office has one (apart from the guy who knows bugger all and bought a Siemens). I agree the camera is guff in comparison to the Nokia - some of them have a zoom which looked very useful, but I have an Ixus for photos. Useful for nights out though. The T610 will allow you to upload your address book without any tools (at least to Windows, it does it via IR or Bluetooth). Only complaints - on/off button is a bit dodgy (my mates broke and had to send the phone back) and the screen can get scratched as it is all flush.

Don't let those put you off though - it is a great phone and better than any Nokia I've used. I thought of 6100 but no bluetooth put me off it - got a nice bluetooth headset to keep me legal so needed bluetooth.

Monsta Mo Mini
7th January 2004, 09:12 PM
You've lost me! What ever happened to having a phone that "rings" then you answer it and have a conversation.

I have an antiquated Nokia 3310 and it does everything I need a phone for.
If you want to take good pictures...TAKE A CAMERA!!!!!!! :D

Big Gordy
7th January 2004, 09:38 PM
I'm with you on this one m3 :approve: I believe young people can't spell nowadays because of text messaging IMHO :p:approve: I've got a 3310 as well and it does all that I want it to do - it lets me speak to people - nuff said :approve:

Big Col
7th January 2004, 10:08 PM
cougholdfartscough

euan
7th January 2004, 10:53 PM
To be honest, I never use mine for anything other than texting and calling people.

Well, apart from playing 2 player minigolf via bluetooth in meetings :)

Fontal
8th January 2004, 12:41 AM
I've got a 6610 which i think is a great phone.

Monsta Mo Mini
8th January 2004, 02:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
cougholdfartscough

Oi! watch who yer calling old!;):D

seany
8th January 2004, 02:36 AM
myself and the wife, both have 3330 nokia, never had any problams.

duncan
8th January 2004, 02:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Satelite ill put money on the nokia software not being mac compatiable:disapprove:

Infact here is the proof lol.... Nokia are in league with the microsoft devil lol

Operating Systems
Please note: We provide support only for operating systems that have been preinstalled by an original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows 98 Second Edition

Windows Millennium Edition

Windows 2000 Workstation (Server version is not supported)

Please note: PC Suite 4.81 provides Windows XP support also for Nokia 8310 users. You can find it here at Nokia 6310 Software.

OOPS! Forgot about the Maccies out there!

Steve74
8th January 2004, 07:20 PM
Just got the Sony Ericsson P900. I can use it on my Mac with it's memory card and although its a bit bigger than normal it's pretty cool with all it's functions.

BOB
9th January 2004, 03:22 AM
Can you use the sony ericsson T610 on a mac???

macblob
9th January 2004, 03:28 AM
Yeah u can BOB, just need bluetooth enabled or if u have a pre bluetooth mac buy a wee usb bluetooth dongle (about 25 quid) and as far as i understand that should be it

isync should pick it up np (this is all in osx 10.3, not sure about os9 etc)

Gismo
9th January 2004, 03:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by BOB
Can you use the sony ericsson T610 on a mac???Yes, but be carefull you don't break it, better off using a 5lb hammer ;)

Bonnie Scotland

euan
9th January 2004, 08:18 PM
I had a few issues getting bluetooth to work on my laptop and my T610. IR works a treat, but you had to autheticate in a set order or it just refused to work.

In saying that, bluetooth works better on my t610 than it did on my t68i - at least it remembers my headset!

broken_brian
22nd January 2004, 03:37 AM
i just got a t610 and i think it is great just need to get a bluetooth headset for it now and the little usb thingumyjig since i have a PC :p

Julz
22nd January 2004, 05:16 PM
Well, I've just upgraded my brick for the Samsung E700, glad to be back with Sammys, and for a photo phone, it's tiny, but like all the best things, it's mini sized!!!

euan
22nd January 2004, 07:11 PM
little usb thingumyjig since i have a PC ...

Brian, What usb thingy?

BTW, any T610 owners....This is THE best gadget for bluetooth....
http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/spg.jsp?page=start&Redir=template%3Deshophome%26B%3Die

broken_brian
22nd January 2004, 08:13 PM
bluetooth dongle to let me upload stuff to me phone

euan
22nd January 2004, 09:36 PM
ah, that makes sense! My little laptop has built in bluetooth so I don't need that :)

frizzie__kizzie
23rd January 2004, 08:25 PM
I've got a Nokia 3330 but I want that new siemans phone. I think it's an MC60 or something, it looks like it's got a big 'X' on the front. Anybody got one of those?

:clown::kiss::I

Scheckter MC
23rd January 2004, 10:06 PM
Currently using Nokia 7210i.
Had it since available on Orange, and paid extra for the attachable camera. Then sold the camera 'cos it was rubbish. Then Nokia brought out the 7250i with built in camera, and better pictures! Muppets.
Don't consider myself to be geeky or anything, but I do use the phone as a phone, for texting, FM radio, calender (for reminders etc), games, GPRS WAP, calculator, and have a cool picture of my Cooper as the wallpaper!
:cool:

I do like some other phones, but always been with Nokia, and never had any problems.
(Even forgot to take the thing out of my swimming shorts pocket in Italy last summer, so the poor thing went for a swim, then down a huge flume, before falling out of pocket and laying at the bottom of the flume pool for an hour. Two days later when the whole thing had dried in and out, it's was working again - and still is today! hehehe)

Thinking about a new one soon - looking at Nokia 6600 tri-band, built in zoom camera, bluetooth, video capture etc.

Cheers

DNV122
24th January 2004, 06:13 AM
Just got a new Nokia 3100 from work (on O2) - anyone connect to a PC using the Nokia cable before ? I'm guessing it is pants, but would like to see

Gismo
24th January 2004, 06:18 AM
As stated before i have the Nokia 6100 and have a data cable to upload ring tones and wallpaper and stuff, if i want, it's ok and you can use your own photo's.
You have to be careful though as you need to buy software to make the connection work, which i have.

Bonnie Scotland