PDA

View Full Version : mini Lowering

lomax
21st November 2006, 04:46 AM
Hi i am new :)

I have recently bought a mini cooper s works and i would like to lower it.

What do you guys recommend? And do you have pics on how low your cars are and what they are lowered by?

I like a low car and had coilovers on my evo and golf. But i feel the ride quality of the mini is pretty good as it is, but would just like it lower.

Craig
21st November 2006, 04:57 AM
I'm not an expert, but what I have heard from others I will share.

the Manufacturer and some say that you cannot just put springs onto the car because of the dampers being matched to the springs and this then upsets the handling, however I know people who have just put on the EIBACH springs and ravved about them :D.

Scottiecoop I think put coilovers on one of her cars and she said it was much better than standard..

The price difference between the 2 is huge and if you ask the manufacturer, they will say, do the full suspension, but I have seem a car on eibach lowered springs and it looked great. :D:D

Ulitmately depends on your budget and if the car is still under warranty.. Just my opinion mind ;)

lomax
21st November 2006, 04:59 AM
Well i would like to go lower than 30mm although i don't know what that looks like on the standard 17's?

I have done a search but not having much luck.

Crombers
21st November 2006, 05:43 AM
I,m from the other 'camp' , (oo err) & basically why bother / don't do it. BMW invested millions on our litte beloved cars to give the best optimum ride/handling from their research. Who are we as mere minions to muck about with perfection.

OK , I,m off wi ma pipe & slippers :p

The Dogfather
21st November 2006, 04:52 PM
I'm with Crombers, don't do it, you'll screw the cars handling and ride up.

I don't have pipe slippers and as I'm a lot younger than Crombers

MartinSullivan
21st November 2006, 05:22 PM
The difference between a lowered car and standard car is like night and day, it will handle and stick to the road so much better - IF it is setup correctly. I have a coilover setup on my car but I have also driven a car with just lowering springs on which is a much cheaper option. I see from your profile Lomax that you are only 13 :D so obviously dont listen to the "granddads" in this thread. Speak to Lohen (Sponsor on this site) or give Simon at Essential mini a call to see what they are offering. Mention NMS and you might even get a discount :D

The Dogfather
21st November 2006, 05:43 PM
the key point in Martin thread is 'if setup correctly', this will hit your pocket. The ride will suffer though.

Gismo
21st November 2006, 05:47 PM
I had Eibachs on my old S, lowered by approx 30mm, ended up with tyre rub over very bumpy roads, handled ok ish, looked :cool: installed full Spax coil overs and again handled crap, got the suspension sorted out properly 8):I and the handling was superb.
In my opinion the car looks better lowered, but, versus crap handling it's not worth it :p

Crombers
21st November 2006, 10:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

I'm with Crombers, don't do it, you'll screw the cars handling and ride up.

I don't have pipe slippers and as I'm a lot younger than Crombers

Aye OK Big Man :p

john
21st November 2006, 10:57 PM
I would not do it!

The car handles superbly as it is, I have seen many people lowering their cars to look good and think it handles better and then out driven them with a standard car because as I said the standard car Does handle very well.

Before you spend a shed load of cash remember this............

Speed bumps!!!

Talk to Julz about the amount of places she stopped visiting because her car was TOO LOW!!

Martin,how often does your wheel arch trim clips break with the tyres hitting?

lomax
22nd November 2006, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the replys. In the past i had ohlins coilovers on my evo5 and FK coilovers on the golf. They handled really well once the coilovers were fitted. I am still looking down the coilover route i think.

Oh i have changed my profile i am actually 23 lol