PDA

View Full Version : New Mini & Test Drive

Scottie
19th November 2006, 01:28 AM
Ok then come on first impressions are: ???????

for me I drove both the S and the Cooper.

On the Cooper front got to say how super happy I am that I've decided to go for one.

How nice is that gear change:approve: and did you notice the lift it had when still in 6th gear[^.

Only i thing I'm gutted about.

I thought it would have the lane changing indicators onegentle push and you'd get the 3 flashes but nope not got it. edited to say this is a programme option that we can do our self

also none of the Mini's had any sound proofing under the hood:(

ianking
19th November 2006, 01:32 AM
Sarah drove the Cooper last night and she said it was a huge improvement on the old car. I was a passenger in it and I was impressed that the ride doesnt brake your back anymore.
Overall a huge improvement.

john
19th November 2006, 02:14 AM
Drove the 's'in the only way I know how:D

Its fantastic:)

james f
19th November 2006, 02:57 AM
hmmm quiter, refined, better ride not for me id miss the noise esp my induction kit and the stiff go kartness me thinks but then im gonna test the S too see what it feels like the option of bying one dosnet exist so i can drive it with an open mind

euan
19th November 2006, 03:25 AM
Well, I'll know tomorrow as I've got a test drive in the morning. Still not convinced by the styling but inside is very nice.

AndyP & Lenore
19th November 2006, 03:53 AM
Drove a Cooper S. Loved it. Much smoother ride, no rattles, still goes like stink and has lots of torque all through the gears. Only drove the previous MINI in Manual for a few days, so this is the first manual box S I've driven for a couple of years, but I found the changes to be much smoother than what I recall. And the clutch seemed to be much smoother and less of a effort to clutch down. It was dark and I'm always weary in an unfamiliar car, so didn't really get a chance to test out the handling as much as I'd like, and as such, I'm not sure about it. Would want to take a car out in day light to test it proper.

The only real disappointment for me was that it was so quiet. I missed the supercharger and the exhaust didn't seem terribly throaty to me.

However, in general, I loved it.

<<<Checks bank balance. Nope. Not this year.:(

A.:D

Craig
19th November 2006, 06:33 AM
Well,

I drove the "S" this morning and have to say it was superb... :approve::approve:

The gear change is 50% if not better than the current box... Also clutch much easier and I think with both these improvements it will make long "runs" much less tiring.. ;)

I have only driven a current "S" for a short period, but this seemed just as good and with the SPORT button on, it takes off :approve: steering is just as direct and the ride is how it should always have been IMHO, AND still gives the great handling.

In short - I loved it..... so much so I'm getting one.. :approve::approve:

mike58
19th November 2006, 07:36 AM
Drove a Cooper today with 17s , pretty firm setup probably due to the tyres.
Mine coming in Dec so getting mod excited.
Non black cars NEED a sideskirt as too much black under the doors make the cars look tall and two/tone, pity the skirts are 545 pounds fitted , seems an aweful lot for two bits of plastic.
The engine /exhaust note on the cooper was pretty good above 4000 rpm , nicely refined below this and a bit of a rip above 4K

Scottie
19th November 2006, 07:59 AM
See on the clutch thing. I never thought the clutch was bad on the Mini until recently. Back in July I badly twisted my ankle and never bothered about it:I turns out I had a fracture:clown::clown: anyway now I really notice how stiff the clutch is on the current model so much so I was not driving the Mini hardly and when I did my ankle was aching afterward. The new Mini clutch is much easier to use not a good as the Saab clutch but a big improvement.

Anyway just thought I'd say.:I

euan
19th November 2006, 08:28 PM
OK, loved it.

Why would you need sports suspension! Ride is stiff, but a bit more compliant (less crashy than my old one). Specced it up and it came in under 20K (miracle!). Waiting on a price for my 3 series now and you never know - maybe just maybe...

OBN
19th November 2006, 11:35 PM
Just back from a test drive in the new Cooper S, have to say the new engine and turbo is a peach, suspension is a lot more comfortable as well. Not a lover of the new interior, think it's a bit bland like the outside.

Although, if I'd waited and got the new model I would have been delighted, however I've no regrets about not waiting, definately think in a couple of years I'll be ordering one. So long as they come out with a Chrono pack that lets me have the speedo in front of the steering wheel.

ELFMAN
20th November 2006, 01:33 AM
I've just come back from my dealer after having had a good look at the new S and COOPER. Didn't have a test drive as we were pushed for time after getting totally stuck for half an hour in diverted traffic. So this is purely a visual, static opinion on my first sight/feel of the Mk II in the Metal/Plastic.

Having read the above, I realise that the new MINIs are great to drive - thank goodness, but having had a seat in the COOPER, (the S was locked and the staff seemed to be busy elsewhere or simply couldn't be @rsed), I was disappointed with the interior, which I thought was a bit cheap & plasticky - especially the gimmicky centre console, which looks (and feels) like it has been lifted from a cheap boom-box. The strip of red leather-a-like along the bottom of the dash did it no favours either. The Gear Knob has been designed by a sadist, with a raised rim on top which isn't pleasant to grab - a shame, as from what you guys have said, it's attached to a better gearbox. The 16's also looked tiny with the new bigger body.

Major gripe on the body front (at least on the cars at Douglas Park MINI in Hamilton) was the frankly huge panel gap between the front wheel arches and the new bonnet - about 10mm+ on the COOPER and slightly less on the S. Standing at the driver's door, you could actually see inside the bonnet to the lights! I thought at first the bonnet wasn't closed properly, but it apparently was. Is this normal? If it is, it's shocking.

My impression was that the new model is built down to a price, whereas the old one punched above its weight in that department. It may well be a great drive, but then so is the 'current' model - which is why most of us bought them. No doubt I'll have a 'proper' go in one at some stage, but it'd have to be SO much better than mine to drive, which I really doubt it would be. Jumping straight back into mine was like going up a level in quality - less flash, more dash, and cranking up that old blown MPG - killer of an engine made up my mind that I'm keeping my car for the foreseeable future. If only they could have stuck the new running gear in the current bodyshell and dumped the Fisher-Price dashboard - I'd have gone for it. But thanks to “The Man” at least exterior-wise, that couldn't happen. So there you go, old Luddite Elfman strikes again.

I know you folks will enjoy the new car - it's got a whole lot going for it, not enough for me though. While I've now got my head round the concept, I'm not convinced by the execution. Just promise you'll wait when I have to stop for a tankful of 'V-POWER' on the next run. If my car now gets 'JCW 210'd', you'd better make that TWO tankfuls!

T6 KFR
20th November 2006, 01:43 AM
just back from test driving the Cooper S...and altough i felt a slight difference (more with gear changes), i dont think it justifys swapping my current mini for a new one.

The interior was cool if you spend the thousands on every upgrade possible, however if you go just for chilli, it looks sooo cheap!! The dash and centre console seems to be made out of really crap looking plastic.

Exterior, could have been a bit better again... but for the spec Id want NO WAY I would spend 23k for it on a mini!

My mini is away to get a revamp inside!!:D

duncan
20th November 2006, 02:21 AM
Again, I never had a chance to drive one, however, I think the thing that sums up the new models "faults" Design Features, is the wee carpet in the boot.

Its fit is poor, its looks cheap, and not as good as the R50/53.

If you like the new one, and have ordered one, then good on you, but I can't see me joining you in the R56 club.

MartinSullivan
20th November 2006, 02:29 AM
I noticed the gap around the bonnet/wheel arch too and like several other people thought I should point out to the dealer that it wasnt shut properly only to be told thats the way it should be. What made it worse is it wasnt even a constant width of gap all the way round the wheel arch.

euan
20th November 2006, 03:08 AM
Agree with the interior comments - the armrest in the one I tried felt like it had been put on/designed by a 3 year old and had SO much give in it. Felt horrid to use.

N12 JLK
20th November 2006, 03:49 AM
Had our test drive today in the new S and I thought it was the dogs danglies , really exciting to drive ,it felt soo much stiffer and grown up than my cooper. Cant say I agree with you Euan on the interior but hey thats what this forum is about :)I liked it loads:D well you all know how much I liked it as Ive spent a fortune bought one .
Just like to say hello to the wee fa**y in the Corsar today who was up my behind on the motorway during our drive , yes I couldnt go any faster as the artic lorry infront of me blocked the way! after the lorry pulled over I pushing the sports button and flooring the S I left the dunderhead for dust:p
Big thanks to all at Menzies for a great day today and to Craig,Jude and mrC for the treasure hunt ( the hitmans out for the woman at the Falkirk Wheel)

I canny wait roll on the middle of December.

KenL
20th November 2006, 04:02 AM
Hmmm!!!

The main reason I ditched my MINI was the quality (or lack of quality)on the inside of my 2002 MINI. It rattled continually from just about every possible place in the car.

New one seems way better built to me. Had a quick test drive and it seems really well put together.

Scottie
20th November 2006, 04:15 AM
it would be a dull world if we all liked the same things.:D

the quality has improved no doubt about it.

You just need to go between the two cars the current R56 and the now older model and you can't help but notice the difference. Simple as that really I wouldn't say so if it wasn't so. The gap round the bonnet and wheel arch don't see a problem with that it's meant to be there afterall.

Seats are much improved.

It is truely a enhanced version of the old model we should all embrace it and be thankful that BMW have got it right and as always moving the design forward.

you remember that old 5 series BMW and the current model you go look at both in the dealers fore courts and which one looks better?? the new one of course and the same can be said for every model car that goes about. Some people just need to time to adjust but I bet once they do they will realise what a cracking car this is and I guess the next one will be also.

euan
20th November 2006, 04:26 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think EVERY part of the new car is well put together. My only area of concern is with the armrest which wobbled and I didn't like to put my arm on it. I also found the mechanism to pull it back to get into the cubby was tight and didn't feel "quality".

I'm also not entirely sold on the bit of black plastic on the downtube section. It's high grade stuff, just doesn;t look right to my eye. Like you say, probably just me ;)

The seats are fab (esp lounge seats) and I love it with the piano black trim. The sat nav really works for me this time (less of a square screen in a round hole this time). The little sav nav joystick was great - I could play with that for days!

Driving it reminded me why I had 4 years of mini ownership, and bar not getting an arm rest, none of it is enough to make me say I wouldn't get one. The engine is superb, steering still feels great. Still rides firm, and that is the only thing holding me back at the moment - I think I need a longer run in it as we really only had 5 minutes on very smooth roads.

Overall, I like it a lot and I'm sure you'll all be loving it when you get yours :)

ELFMAN
20th November 2006, 04:26 AM
That's it Jason, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. If we were all the same we'd be clones. I'd like to drive one just to see how it compares to mine (a lot quieter probably), but I like mine so much that it's a very hard act to follow! You can give me a wee run in yours on the Festive Run and show me what I'm missing!!!

Ken - a lot of the earlier MINIs did seem to be a bit 'patchy', but my 2001 COOPER which I had for 2 years and the S which I've had for nearly 3 (on 24th Dec) have been pretty solid and relatively rattle-free. Not bad considering the COOPERS' 'original' version of the 'Sports Plus' suspension was stiffer than a stiff thing which had died and got rigor mortis. Maybe yours was a 'Friday Car'?

duncan
20th November 2006, 04:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

It is truely a enhanced version of the old model we should all embrace it and be thankful that BMW have got it right and as always moving the design forward.

I've got to disagree with that, as I don't think that BMW have got it right 100%.

I'm not keen on the looks - but they'll probably grow on me, time will tell, however, I think there are fundamental issues with cost cutting that really spoiled what could have been a much better car.

The Aero cap on the new S is ugly. It looks like a very cheap Halfords accessory. And an integrated strero on the speedo - just wrong, wrong, wrong.

The roof fitted switches are too much, I'm not piloting a 747. They look wrong. And the Temperature controls just look cheap and feel cheap. There wasnt much wrong with the old centre console to me, why change it so dramatically?

And as for BMW getting things right, is this the same BMW that has been ripped to pieces by Top Gear for the desgin over the last few years?

N12 JLK
20th November 2006, 05:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN

That's it Jason, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. If we were all the same we'd be clones. I'd like to drive one just to see how it compares to mine (a lot quieter probably), but I like mine so much that it's a very hard act to follow! You can give me a wee run in yours on the Festive Run and show me what I'm missing!!!

Yup your on Euan I will take you out in it no bother, just fasten your belt. Mind and bring a wee mince pie for payment;)

Crombers
20th November 2006, 06:05 AM
Drove both today at Menzies.

Still not sold on the exterior but do like the interior lots.

The 'S' pulls like a train (what a hoot) & that 'sport button is ace.
The Coop was nice too & I was impressed with the engine note , seems a tad deeper than the MKI.

Without doubt it'll sell by the bucket load :approve:

N12 JLK
20th November 2006, 07:50 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/lesley12/R56launch014-1.jpg:D

The Dogfather
20th November 2006, 06:34 PM
I thought the new Cooper felt a lot better quality-wise, the looks are a bit iffy. I saw your car MS whilst I was there didn't see you though :(

ELFMAN
20th November 2006, 06:50 PM
Scottiecoop - “we should all embrace it and be thankful”. And now we will all sing Hymn 130, “Oh Almighty BMW, you are so Big”. Well...no. I, like Duncan, think that there ARE all-too obvious cost-cutting features on the new car inside and out.

Just because the bonnet gap is “meant to be there” doesn't excuse a space you could drive a Classic Mini through! It was the first thing my Dad and I spotted on the new car - not good. We went between the 'old' and 'new' Coopers on the forecourt, and while I think the new Cooper is better looking than the new S, in my opinion the 'old' version is a better resolved design all round in both models.

To my eyes, the fitment of the bonnet on the new Cooper I saw was shoddy in comparison with the original. We know it's mainly for cost that the bonnet was changed, as the original was expensive to manufacture, so I can't agree that it's an 'enhancement'. Manufacturing tolerances are supposed to improve through time, so having a BIGGER panel gap on the latest version is inexcusable. It just looks WRONG.

And WHY have a 'SPORT' button? So they soften the responses in 'normal' mode so that it 'feels' sharper in 'Sport' mode. It's a COOPER 'S' for Gawd's sake IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT! Pure gimmickry. If they concentrated less on the toys they could have afforded a bonnet which actually fitted.

I sound as if I'm really down on the new car - but only in comparison with the current one. I just feel they've missed a chance to genuinely improve the car in ALL areas. They've done it in some, but not in others. Like taking your fave food and adding or taking out an ingredient - it still tastes great... but just not quite as tasty as before. I'd still have a new new MINI before anything else at the price. But not before my current car.

Jason - Mince Pie on order. You can eat it and see if I have to eat my words!

X30YES
20th November 2006, 07:03 PM
In short ...I like it , however one or two wee things did detract from making this acr 100% spot on ...but thats change I guess .
1. The petrol cap cover is cheap and nasty .
2. The gap around the wheels and arches .
3. The gap round the lights and bonnet .
4. The fittings that hold the "chrome" round the Bonnet are of poor quality (cheap)
5. There might be a bit too much plastic around the engine bay for the tradionalist .
Will that stop me getting one ...I dont think it will, and over all I think its a winner from what I saw ,"in the flesh".The Blue S with the aero kit is stunning . On the Cooper ,well I still think its bland looking and might need a bit of tarting up to make it look special for me .

ELFMAN
20th November 2006, 10:42 PM
Och Angus - You're not trading it in already are you? You'll miss that JCW BUZZ!!!! Stick the JCW Suspension on it and keep it for a while!

By the sounds of it, there are a lot of folk out there who are going to pick up some absolutely cracking pre-owned NMS cars. Lucky them. Lucky Dealers. Lucky Banks. As long as everybody's happy!

Your Local MkI MINI FUN-da-MENTAL-ist.

X30YES
21st November 2006, 01:09 AM

Och Angus - You're not trading it in already are you? You'll miss that JCW BUZZ!!!! Stick the JCW Suspension on it and keep it for a while!

By the sounds of it, there are a lot of folk out there who are going to pick up some absolutely cracking pre-owned NMS cars. Lucky them. Lucky Dealers. Lucky Banks. As long as everybody's happy!

Never said that Mr Frame :p...and yes I would miss the JCW buzz as you say ,and thought that after fleeing home on Fri eve :eek:,what's that about fast cars and women or is it fast women and cars ;)....however , never say never .

Gordons_cooper_wrks
21st November 2006, 02:03 AM
Just had a shot of the new cooper and the S. Really nice to drive. Feels much better qualty. As for the S that is a REAL car. I have never felt power like that before. i didnt want to got back to the showroom with it. Think its mabey gona be a new S for me.

Crombers
21st November 2006, 05:52 AM

Yeay , I,m gonna be in Elfman's gang , now where's that number for PlayMini :p;)

broken_brian
21st November 2006, 08:43 AM
Can i join your gang as well as i dont think much of the updated mini :blackeye:. It just looks too plasticy and cheap and the speedo is just far too big and i also dont like the bl style panel gap between the bonnet and wheel arch, i would like a test drive though just to see what it is like.

ELFMAN
21st November 2006, 05:55 PM
Look, I'm not having “New Vs Old Gangs”. West Side Story with MINIS. Just a genuine discussion/debate on the topic.

As I've said, the new model has a lot going for it - by all accounts the Drivetrain, Chassis and Seats ARE an improvement over the (standard) current model. I just have issues with the style and execution of the rest of the car. I don't believe that because something's newer, it's automatically 'better'. I think the basic 'ethos' of the New MINI has shifted away from the 'purity' of the first generation cars, which were innovative in both engineering and design, without unnecessary bells & whistles to amuse drivers who wanted to concentrate on driving, rather than things like interior lighting. I think items such as the new S Fuel Filler cap with its fat, shapeless design compared with the classy original sum up the type of designer who has worked on the new car. The fact that they have fitted a gear knob with a concave top tells me that whoever thought that was suitable isn't a keen driver. My opinion is that the new MINI has been built with ease of manufacture to the forefront (fair enough, but make the bonnet fit properly) and designed by a team who have more of an eye for the games room than the open road. Jumping from the new COOPER back into my car, mine felt every bit as well made, and if anything more solid than its younger sibling. So I don't see this alleged vast leap in 'quality' either. I guess you see what you want to see....

As I said, despite my misgivings, I'd still have the new one over the opposition any day. But isn't it strange how the old car we all loved and championed now seems to have all these 'faults' which the new car has, as if by magic, rectified? Maybe folks have to convince themselves of the inadequacy of the previous model and the superiority of the new one in order to ease the pain of spending all that dosh and the loss of their beloved cars?? Ooooh, controversial!

Angus - I stand corrected!

Gismo
21st November 2006, 06:08 PM
I've not managed to see one or drive one for real yet, but, i am more than happy with the build quality and spec of my current S.
Would i be happy with the head unit in the R56, erm, nope, i don't want a car maker to take away my choice of what and how i listen to sounds in my car :evil:
So, Elfman, i'm with you ;)

X30YES
21st November 2006, 06:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I've not managed to see one or drive one for real yet, but, i am more than happy with the build quality and spec of my current S.
Would i be happy with the head unit in the R56, erm, nope, i don't want a car maker to take away my choice of what and how i listen to sounds in my car :evil:
So, Elfman, i'm with you ;)
Ive never driven one either ,so I cant say one way or the other ,as Ive stated before I like it ..always have,sure there will be things that "we" will miss ,one being the supercharger noise for starter's .On the music side of things I do agree that you should have the choice of what you play/listen your sounds I'm sure that adding your own system will be a simple job somewhere under the dash (Like in the old days):p,it might not look as good but it will work ,there must be space to add something like that I'm sure .The new car will have its faults as well I'm sure ,all new cars do .As you say Alan "I'm happy with the build quality and spec of my current S " also ,and that bit of extra power with the JCW kit makes it a wonderful car to drive ,and as Elfman Say's there will be a few good cars sitting waiting to be snapped up at the dealers soon ...I'm sure of that , whither my current car is one of them I don't know ....time will tell no doubt .I could go and get one ordered tomorrow ,but as my car is just starting to loosen up (8k miles ) I'm enjoying it more and more every day now .Al Two LL's Thorne's /Jason's cars are stunning looking ,for me its the only colour that I would go for in that model just now ....more colours might change my mind one way or the other when I see them .Anyway if you've bought the R56 ,enjoy it as it a truly striking car , if you haven't ....you'll want one at some point I'm sure of that , I know I will one day . ...Choice is a wonderful thing .Again as I've stated ,the Cooper just needs something to brighten it up ,lift it ,from the "normal/average" car .
I'm going to pray that the AWD Traveller S is put into production one day ...that would be something else !!!!!!!.:approve:

Scottie
21st November 2006, 07:25 PM

Look, I'm not having “New Vs Old Gangs”. West Side Story with MINIS. Just a genuine discussion/debate on the topic.

As I've said, the new model has a lot going for it - by all accounts the Drivetrain, Chassis and Seats ARE an improvement over the (standard) current model. I just have issues with the style and execution of the rest of the car. I don't believe that because something's newer, it's automatically 'better'. I think the basic 'ethos' of the New MINI has shifted away from the 'purity' of the first generation cars, which were innovative in both engineering and design, without unnecessary bells & whistles to amuse drivers who wanted to concentrate on driving, rather than things like interior lighting. I think items such as the new S Fuel Filler cap with its fat, shapeless design compared with the classy original sum up the type of designer who has worked on the new car. The fact that they have fitted a gear knob with a concave top tells me that whoever thought that was suitable isn't a keen driver. My opinion is that the new MINI has been built with ease of manufacture to the forefront (fair enough, but make the bonnet fit properly) and designed by a team who have more of an eye for the games room than the open road. Jumping from the new COOPER back into my car, mine felt every bit as well made, and if anything more solid than its younger sibling. So I don't see this alleged vast leap in 'quality' either. I guess you see what you want to see....

As I said, despite my misgivings, I'd still have the new one over the opposition any day. But isn't it strange how the old car we all loved and championed now seems to have all these 'faults' which the new car has, as if by magic, rectified? Maybe folks have to convince themselves of the inadequacy of the previous model and the superiority of the new one in order to ease the pain of spending all that dosh and the loss of their beloved cars?? Ooooh, controversial!

Angus - I stand corrected!

Aaw Elfman you alright http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/k010.gif

ELFMAN
22nd November 2006, 03:10 AM
Now I'm getting my wee baldy napper patted by a huge Scottiecoop. I just want to wish everybody a Happy and Peaceful Festive Season - WHATEVER MINI YOU MIGHT BE DRIVING!

Having made up my mind to keep the wee beastie, I'm now seriously looking into becoming a "WORKS OLDIE". Wait till you hear THAT, Crombers!

Craig
22nd November 2006, 03:38 AM

Having made up my mind to keep the wee beastie, I'm now seriously looking into becoming a "WORKS OLDIE". Wait till you hear THAT, Crombers!

:approve::approve:

Scottie
22nd November 2006, 03:56 AM

Now I'm getting my wee baldy napper patted by a huge Scottiecoop. I just want to wish everybody a Happy and Peaceful Festive Season - WHATEVER MINI YOU MIGHT BE DRIVING!

we still luv ya.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/liebe/a065.gif

Coop
22nd November 2006, 04:11 AM
Can I join in the argument?

Sorry, discussion.

I had a shot of a Cooper S, blue with white roof / mirrors / 17" wheels and first thoughts are that it looks better in the metal than in pics, but not as good as the current model. Looks too fat for me, but maybe time will tell.

I like the inside, car feels a lot bigger inside and everything feels spot on. Will it be impossible to fit an aftermarket head unit though? Seats are comfy, steering wheel is nice again and switches feel better quality.

When I was driving, I didn't know whether to smile or sh*te maself! Feels very very quick, lots of torque, left the Sport button switched on of course! The brakes are amazing if you ask me, the single biggest thing which I noticed. The gear change is very smooth, but I do prefer the more weighty feel of old.

Anyhow, thats my humble opinion for today. :D

X30YES
22nd November 2006, 05:45 AM
Will it be impossible to fit an aftermarket head unit though?

I would think so ....where the cd changer should/will go ,under the flip up panel above the clove box !!!!!!...why not ?

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/dash6.jpg

Scottie
22nd November 2006, 05:55 AM
you won't be able to change the head unit. but I reckon you will be able to amp it and upgrade the speakers.

ELFMAN
22nd November 2006, 05:23 PM
Scottiecoops - All You Need Is Love! And loads of Torque.

Just had a thought... I'm running the JCW Suspension & Brakes - which are an improvement over standard. Wonder if that's why I'm not so moved by some of the improvements on the new S - moreso than somebody going from a standard car? Performance-wise, obviously, for those folks who are moving from a COOPER to a new S, it's going to feel ballistic in comparison, whereas if you're comparing it with a current or especially a JCW S, there will be much less of a performance difference. The new S is VERY torquey though, so it will pick up very well from low down and the performance will be very 'useable' in everday situations. What's the top-end like? Anybody been there yet? Is there a power/torque tradeoff?

Crombers
23rd November 2006, 05:41 AM

OMG !!

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

X30YES
23rd November 2006, 06:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

you won't be able to change the head unit. but I reckon you will be able to amp it and upgrade the speakers.
I know that Fi , but you could fit an independant uint and leave the original in place ,just disconnect the wiring loom ...and Boabs you Uncle

Gismo
23rd November 2006, 02:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES
you could fit an independant uint and leave the original in place ,just disconnect the wiring loom ...and Boabs you UncleBut that would look absolutely terrible and the only real place for it would be way down where you can hardly see it :disapprove:
An absolute major design error :evil:

X30YES
23rd November 2006, 06:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by X30YES
you could fit an independant uint and leave the original in place ,just disconnect the wiring loom ...and Boabs you UncleBut that would look absolutely terrible and the only real place for it would be way down where you can hardly see it :disapprove:
An absolute major design error :evil:
I know it would ...but it would work, as you say Alan , its a major design fault ...or was it intentional.If I was that bothered about adding an aftermarket CD player for sound quality alone , as I said before I'd stick it in the cd changer slot (I'm not so worried about how it look's ,more the sound quality and sticking it out of sight would not be a problem for me .